Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping for an Odyssey. I, of course, want to get the best price.

If I stop into my local dealer and I talk to a salesman who gives me his card, am I obliged to negotiate only with that salesman? Or can I then go to the internet dept. and negotiate? Will they then refer back to the floor salesman?

How does the dealership allocate sales and can I negotiate with whomever I choose?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I am shopping for an Odyssey. I, of course, want to get the best price.

If I stop into my local dealer and I talk to a salesman who gives me his card, am I obliged to negotiate only with that salesman? Or can I then go to the internet dept. and negotiate? Will they then refer back to the floor salesman?

How does the dealership allocate sales and can I negotiate with whomever I choose?
Normally, you talk to the same salesman, but that's not a hard rule. You are the customer after all, so you can do whatever you want. The salesman won't like it, but just be honest... you are looking for the best price, so if the Internet dept can get you a better price, then they can't really argue against you. If it's in the same dealership, the final price they are willing to go to will generally be the same because they all have to ultimately get approval from the sales manager, but how you get to that price can be very different depending on who you deal with.

Hope this helps... What's usually better if you want to deal with others to get best pricing is to go to different dealers and play them against each other. It works much better than going to different salesmen within the same dealer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My advice would be not to purchase from the salesman on the first visit ever unless you have already established a prior relationship with them. Go to the dealership to test drive the vehicle, decide on what trim level and options you want, get a price and be up front in the fact that you will be shopping other dealers for the best price.

Be prepared, they will pressure you with all kinds of tactics like this price is only good for today, or I can only give you my best price if you put money down to show you are a serious buyer. Ignore all of that normal dealer BS and inform them that if they have given the best price you will be back to finalize the purchase. You should get fairly close to their bottom dollar. But walk away because you have no point of reference (unless they offer it below invoice out of the gate).

It is easy to internet shop these days and you can get several quotes from local dealers just by requesting price quotes. Best of luck in your search and your purchase. The prices paid threads here should give you some idea of what people are actually paying. Find some posted deals close to your area if possible as different parts of the country have differing prices. You should be able to match or sometimes beat these deals if you work at it.

Best Regards,
JD

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Ya I agree, don't go for the 'deal is only good today'.
I'd just say you want the best price from 2 or 3 local dealers and you'll check with their Internet dept too.

I generally try to be fairly open, I don't want to waste their time or mine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Absolutely agree with being open an honest throughout the transaction. Buying a car is business, you are not out to make friends. If you are straightforward with them you can get a good deal while establishing a long term business relationship. This can work to your advantage not only on future deals but hopefully the dealership will back you when problems arise - and they will at some point.

JD

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Absolutely agree with being open an honest throughout the transaction. Buying a car is business, you are not out to make friends. If you are straightforward with them you can get a good deal while establishing a long term business relationship. This can work to your advantage not only on future deals but hopefully the dealership will back you when problems arise - and they will at some point.

JD
I'm not sure if this is true for all dealers but our Honda dealership, the sales and service dept are like 2 separate entities. Also, the guy we bought our van from is no longer there. (from memory he beat the other deal by over 2k).

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is what I do.
Before talking to any dealer I do my homework. Spent many evenings reading everything I could about the model I was interested in. I decided first before talking to any dealer unless I really just want to test drive to help decide between makes and or models. I have always known what I want prior to getting down to price.
I know what the price will be. I read every post on this and other websites related to the model and price others have paid. After all this I took the lowers price and dropped it by $1000. This was way below any internet offered price through any of the "club" etc. Save your money as these prices are high and not helpful... This site was a great help on "Prices paid". Be willing to go out of area or out of state as you can get it serviced by any (Honda) dealer. You can always purchase later. Do not be in a hurry. Do not get new car fever! Remember, this in a large part a mental game that they are trained in, you are not. They know what buttons to push, hide your buttons....
I set my price and stick to it. I do not budge, no matter what. I let everyone turn me down if it works out that way. I can always go back, after all they only make money when they sell something.
I keep these things separate and distinct. Get these prices first and in this order. Do not mix.
At the first meeting with the dealer they normally want to start things out by getting your contact info. No problem, it is good that they can call me back when I walk out...
Do not let them get me off track. I follow the steps below. The hardest part is keeping my cool because of the BS. [To be fair, I have to say only about 90% of the dealers are in the BS class.] J
1. Get base price of the model you want. Get an offer in writing. (include any fees, prep, etc. - do not pay for delivery or shipping - have it included in the price) worry about tax later, it is what it is. Remember tax is calculated (I think in most states) on the new car less the trade in value.
2. Then get a price on your trade-in (do not let anyone look at it until 1 above is completed, just say you're not sure at this point or you may sell it on Craigslist.)
Once 1 and 2 have been priced out you now know what you are paying for the new car and what you trade in is worth. No BS. Get it in writing. Always remember, it's your money.
3. Work out a price on the options you want. Offer 70 percent of the MSRP for the options you list. Again, keeping this separate as this lets you know what you are paying for the options.
Any issue here, remember most of these options can be installed by you so order them on line and get OK prices. Do your homework and know the internet prices for the options. You might do better at the dealer if you know what you should be paying and they want to see a car so can always go down.
4. After all this comes financing
Have your own financing approved already. If the dealer can beat it great. Just be careful here. Understand the numbers.
During any of this try to keep your cool if you get a lot of BS from the dealer. If he/she will not follow your requests, say thanks and walk out. DO NOT LOOK BACK.
Go to the next dealer.
I ended up contacting a dealer recommended on this site and got the best deal by far. Just took hours of haggling. I believe this makes a good deal and is a sign of a good dealer who wants your business.

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Going into a dealership to negotiate is an utter waste of time imho.

What I do is check out the pricing on carsdirect.com and other site so I know exactly what promotions are going on and what the "real" invoice price is (as dealer can and have been known to show you fake invoice prices). Then I send an email to all local dealers asking for their best price and when they do get back, if they're higher than carsdirect, I ask them to beat it. Usually, the internet departments are almost the same or only very slightly over the price. I try one more round of email(s) with my lowest written offer I have and depending on how the email correspondence is going, I pick the dealer and settle on the price all via emails. I never give me phone number(s) to them in the first and second round of emails and I explicitly mention that in the first email itself. Some of my local dealer don't even respond and that's their loss as I do not negotiate on the table or on the phone.

Once the deal is settled, I make the appointment to go buy that car and go meet the guy working with me via emails and all they have left to haggle for me is the extra add-ons they pile on you.

I always ask for all installed accessories to be spelt out and also I always ask for total price (no trades no monthly payments etc) and I ask for the price spelt out with base price, destination charge, documentation fees and each line item of taxes broken out.

My last 2 car purchases were done that way and so have I done the same for family car purchases.

Saves quite a bit of last minute pressure.

The caveat is you have to know exactly what you want in the car like the trim, colors etc.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Maybe that's why!
Hahah well, I doubt the sales manager would have approved if it was a bad for business deal.plus this includes trade in.

I personally don't mess around with getting price on car then on trade in. I just check Edmunds, then go to carmax for a reality check. Then come up with a reasonable number and walk in the dealer telling them that's my trade in and I have my out the door price picked out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Echoing similar comments that have been said already. Generally I already know more than the salesmen about the car (features, pricing, trim levels etc.) after a few hours of research online.

Did most of the back and forth via email, I used the edmunds.com call back feature. One tip is to create a throw away email account and a google voice number for your contact info. Within 5 minutes of filling out the edmunds form I was getting phone calls and emails. The google voice number is nice because you can just have it go straight to voicemail and you get to control the timing of the phone conversations.

Generally I will show no loyalty to any salesmen on the lot unless they go out of their way to be helpful, and show a genuine interest in me as a customer and the product they are selling. First visits are just for test drives and kicking the tires.

·
Registered
57 Posts
A trade-in only muddies the water. You will have to get a price quote with your trade (inspected by the dealer). Don't just look at the blue book & assume that's what they will offer. Some will promise full blue book (or NADA) and just up the price of the new vehicle to compensate. If you sell your current vehicle keep in mind that you will have to sell it for more than the trade value. A trade-in lowers your sales tax on the new one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts