Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we picked up our '02, the sales rep made a big point about how she wanted to be rated all 5's on the phone survey. I went along with it, even though I didn't quite feel that way.

She did a good job, but not one that I would have rated as perfect if she hadn't asked me to.

It seems like the reps preparation of the buyer to rate the rep high skews the survey so much that it isn't really meaningful. Isn't Honda wise to this?

The survey has been mentioned here recently as relating to salesrep bonuses. I wonder how other buyers are dealing with the survey.

Regards,

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EXL
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green Grass stains and '01 White Laces w/ Frayed Tips

·
Registered
35 Posts
We got the same story at Gillman Honda in Houston, and at the car dealers where I bought the last several cars.
This survey is totally bogus. One dealer sent me $2.00 for "All Excellent marks". The others have given free oil changes, tanks full of gas.
The manufacturer must know about this bribery. Maybe not???

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ditto. I also went along, although I wasn't entirely comfortable with it. They did send me a framed print shortly before which helped somewhat.

2002 RRP EX

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same here.

"Bring it in and we'll fill it out together, and while that's being done we'll fill up your tank".

I made sure I was on dead empty before going over there!

------------------
Keith
2001 MB EX
Mud Flaps, Wheel Locks, Cargo Tray, Thule Crossbars with Cargo Box, 6.8" LCD TV System with FM Modulator, Accord EX 6 Disc/Cassette Double DIN Head Unit, Pioneer 1655/1086 Speakers

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maugham:
It seems like the reps preparation of the buyer to rate the rep high skews the survey so much that it isn't really meaningful. Isn't Honda wise to this?</font>
You would think so, wouldn't you? But, FWIW, Ford/Lincoln appears to play the same game.

When I bought my Navigator, the rep repeatedly pounded it into me that he needed all top marks and if, for ANY reason, I didn't feel he deserved them, he was willing to do whatever it took to get those marks. I gave him what he wanted but, unlike some others who posted here, received nothing in return.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wonder if their allotment or holdback numbers are effected by the survey results? It seems very important for them to receive all 5's.

-John

·
Registered
205 Posts
I read a number of threads over in the Edmunds Town Hall on this matter, and it appears that most manufacturers offer their dealerships significant monetary incentives to score highly on the Customer Satisfaction Surveys. A single dealership can get an annual bonus of $100,000 or more based on the survey results, and individual salesmen can get bonuses in the hundreds of dollars FOR EACH SALE based on the survey. So, yes, it's a huge deal for many dealers.
The unfortunate consequence of these kickbacks is that the dealers have learned how to bribe customers, so the surveys really don't tell the manufacturer the true story, which is the whole purpose of the survey.

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
596 Posts
Is'nt that the "American Way"? Show me anything where something can be gained by "bending" the rules and I'll show ya rules being bent. I heard, but do not know if it actually happened, that someone cracked the security system of the new Microsoft Windows system within a week of issue.

My dealer never mentioned anything about surveys. I guess they are country bumpkins raised by parents who "did the right thing". Could it be that they are confident that their approach will keep them in good stead without cheating? I hope so....... DC has a lot of that survey stuff in place, too, and they never asked either.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
169 Posts
In my opinion to many salesman are just there trying to keep there job.. When I purchases my Ody. The guy kept on insisting to give him Hi marks on his survey.. also. To this date I never received a survey from Honda or anyone else. Remember salesman will always promise you everything. But in the end they just get you money and split. I know I work for another Manufacturer dealership. As a Parts Department manager. I hear complaints all the time. Complaints about sale promising thing to customers. Like free bra or accessories.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I once gave a saturn dealer low marks and he called me directly stating his job was on the line. He wanted to know why I gave him low marks. I thought it was really rude for him to put me in the spot like that. I stated why he got the marks on the survey, so he could learn to improve himself. But he made everything worse by contacting me on the phone. Needless to say, I never went there again even to have my car serviced. I was afraid of being 'assaulted' by this guy.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My opinion is my opinion. Truth is truth.
I can't be bought. End of story.
And when you do buy me it will cost more than a tank of gas.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Talk about full tank of gas, my Ody was delivered with barely enough gas to get home that first day. Is the fuel tank supposed to be full as a pre-delivery condition, or does it depend on the Honda dealership?

------------------
(o: Terry :eek:)
'02 GG EX-L RES
Splash guards, mod floor mats & cargo tray, soon-to-be TV tuner, soon-to-be Zaino

·
Registered
169 Posts
It depends on the dealer. My ODy was filled full of gas. When I purchased it. Yea, Salesman come and Go. They never stay at a dealership.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My SS-EXL-RES was delivered with a full tank, a full tank was promised on the window sticker!

·
Registered
129 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by forgaming:
Talk about full tank of gas, my Ody was delivered with barely enough gas to get home that first day. Is the fuel tank supposed to be full as a pre-delivery condition, or does it depend on the Honda dealership?

</font>
Forgaming,

If you look at your window sticker, you'll notice that FULL TANK OF FUEL (or something like that) if printed on it. So, basically, you're "paying" for that tank of fuel in your sale price.

Go back and get your free tank!!

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX - Silver
2001 Civic EX Sedan - Silver
1990 Mustang LX Coupe - Titanium

·
Registered
31 Posts
My salesman did the same thing-- told me to give him all "5", and I "yes"ed him to avoisd the hassle. I was contacted by Honda twice- on the phone the next week, where I gave the dealership excellent marks to avoid hassle. The salesman told me that one matters less than the written, which I just received but have not yet filled out.

Maugham, what did you do? I can't say that my dealer was bad in any way, just touchy when I questioned him on fees and on add-ons that I didn't want. I was a dream customer- zero negotiations, just happy to get MSRP and quick delivery, and it turns out I was satisfied with the package anyway. I feel my experience was good because I was easygoing, but he was not the best salesman. I don't want to hurt his bonus esp. if all salespeople are getting them with whatever tactics; at the same time, is Honda trying to get an honest evaluation of their salespeople?

·
0 Posts
I just did my phone survey and blasted the business manager (made us wait an hour to see him), but gave the sales person high marks. My only question is, does this information get back to the dealer, meaning will the dealer know I gave them bad marks? If so, will they hassle me when it comes time for service?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Jerry O said:
Is'nt that the "American Way"? Show me anything where something can be gained by "bending" the rules and I'll show ya rules being bent. I heard, but do not know if it actually happened, that someone cracked the security system of the new Microsoft Windows system within a week of issue.

My dealer never mentioned anything about surveys. I guess they are country bumpkins raised by parents who "did the right thing". Could it be that they are confident that their approach will keep them in good stead without cheating? I hope so....... DC has a lot of that survey stuff in place, too, and they never asked either.
Still, you have to agree that it does make the dealer try harder to please you. Maybe if they all just got the same holdback they wouldn't try to make you happy. Now at least they do. Admittedly, some only try to make you grade them well. Ours dived into the garbage can with a smile when I asked for the factory transmission cooler when they replaced it with the heavy duty one. Same speal - if any item is not a '5', then give me a call and we'll fix it. ;)

Incidentally, I haven't sent my survey in yet (have had it sitting around for 3 or 4 weeks already). I figure if anything goes wrong or I need a favor, I know how to get it!! :D I say, know how to play the game!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Our salesperson also kept insisting we give "5"'s on the survey. We received both a survey on the phone and through the mail. I scored both correctly instead of just blindly giving "5"'s. I have always done that on new car purchases.

Honda later called us back twice about issues we were not so happy with. The dealership did call and email us also. All was taken care of.

Our EX-L Navi came with a full tank of gas as listed on the Honda window sticker.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Same here, our saleswoman mentionned that to Honda, a 4 means nothing and only 5 is acceptable and asked that we give here all 5. She was ok though.

She 'tried' to go over the van with me to show me how everything works but after being here and reading bunch of stuff on the net about the Odessey, she gave up because I was always a step ahead of her :D

The 'negotiation' went pretty well (specially because she gave me a better price than the other dealers without even knowing what the other dealers gave me - tactic I play :) ) and lent me a van to try for about 1/2 hour. I was never pressured (beside asked to give here 5s :rolleyes: ) Talked to the service dept and one mechanics and they both seem knowledgeable and took time to answer questions.

The only thing I didn't like about my saleswoman is when she went over the warranty coverage page in the owner's manual. She basically said: Honda wants me to make sure I show you the warranty coverage so that is it, showing me that page in the owner's manual for no more than 2 seconds. We already took the extended warranty so maybe she felt it didn't apply to us, don't know...

I haven't received the survey yet but she already called us twice to know if we liked then van and if we had any problem...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts