Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have recently been placed in a situation where we need to acquire a handicapped van and I would like it to be a honda. We have seen the VMI with the wheelchair ramps and another type with a Bruno mobility seat that rotates and extends out. We are dealing with a child that requires a special car seat and is totally immobile. Can anyone explain the advantages of each or anything else i might be overlooking, hopefully some people with experience can guide us. Also if you know of any in the NY tri state area for sale please contact me.
Thnaks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Big difference in the two vans. The VMI is a wheelchair van with a ramp, cut out floor etc, runs about 60000, for a Honda. The braun with the rotating seat, isn't a wheelchair van, it's just a Toyota van with a special seat. They can put that in any Toyota, so you can buy the van anywhere, and the seat can be installed. I guess the question is do you need a wheelchair van, or just a modified seat van.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've actually located a used Ody with the Bruno seat. As to what type of van needed i'm not sure. This is for another family member and it's new to all of us, i was looking for input from someone with experience. As I said the disabled is a young child with no motor abilities and needs to travel in a custom car seat, like a child restraint seat at this time but what of the future?
Thanks

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think from the sound of it that the bruno unit will work fine up to the point that the parents can no longerf easily lift the child. At that point the full wheelchair style of the VMI would be the way to go. A lot will depend on how old the child is and how long the parents will have the vehicle. I'm taking a stab in the dark with this as the only experience I have with any of the power accessability equipment is automating one from a car alarm for a client of mine years ago.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would recommend contacting a mobility company in your area. Both VMI and Braun now have Honda handicapped vans for sale with Braun typically being higher quality.

I have worked in the mobility field for the last 9 years as a tech. In the long run if you can afford it, a converted van will probably be better than a van with a mobility seat.

If you go to Braun's website, or VMI's, there should be a link to find a dealer in your area. The dealers will have people trained to answer any question you can think of.

http://www.braunability.com/find-a-dealer.cfm

http://www.vantagemobility.com/dealers/index.aspx

If you have any other questions I can do my best to help

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help and info. At this point a new ody with a conversion is too much $$$. We might just have to settle for a Caravan and hope it lasts 4 years or so(I know that's asking a lot).

·
Registered
539 Posts
One other option to consider is to watch the ads (Craigslist) for a used van already converted, as they can be often be had for a fraction of their original conversion price.

Sure, you may have to put a few bucks into maintenance and repairs, but I wouldn't be afraid of a 20-year-old van if it's been properly cared for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hamim

Do you need a wheelchair van, or just a modified seat van. Because there is some between these two. So, you better contact a mobility company in your area.I hope that Braun typically being higher quality.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would not mind buying a higher quality used vehicle and doing some maintenance, but the vehicles that are out there IMO are totally unreliable, transmission wise, steering racks, suspension. Read any kinda reviews for a Caravan from someone that has owned one and they hate it, Windstar not far behind. Might be better off with a Chevy or Ford hightop for a little while.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have used the Honda dealer for general maintenance, but changed due to some issues with their work, such as leaving a pair of pliers in the radiator fan. The other Honda dealer I've used is even worse (had trouble changing out a timing belt in my Civic) so I won't go there.

Even with the warranty still valid for the Odyssey, I've switched to the same independent that I use for my Civic for general maintenance with very few problems. The only problem I had with this independent is they changed the oil with 10W30, not the 5W20 that is in the owners manual. I am not worried about it since the oil thins out quicker here in Florida, but the next time I take it, I will insist on using the proper weight of oil.

I trust the independents more than the dealers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
bones774 said:
Thanks for all the help and info. At this point a new ody with a conversion is too much $$$. We might just have to settle for a Caravan and hope it lasts 4 years or so(I know that's asking a lot).
Bones774- I sent you a PM. I have a 7 year old son who uses a w/c so I have some experience in this area and may be able to help you.

Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts