Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was doing some maintenance on the cars and decided to do a drain and fill on the 2002 Ody tranny. Was calling around the Oakville area for the cost of the ATF Z1 and you can't get it anymore around here. So I rolled my eyes and asked for the price of the new DW1 which is synthetic and the Hnda dealer came back with $11 for a liter and of course the crush washer which is extra.

So it was going to be Castrol for me if I could find it. Was passing a new local Acura dealer here off Third line and decided to drop in and ask how much they sell the DW1 for and he came back with $7.80 and he will throw in the washer.

Needless to say I bought it on the spot. So if anybody in the Oakville area is looking for the new DW1 tranny fluid it looks like the Acura dealership off Third line is the place to go.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Have you been there lately? Am looking for 9 litres of dw1 (triple drain and fill) and 7.80 would be a great price. Someone on amazon.ca is selling it for $30.50... i get out to okaville quiet often so that isn't a problem.
If anyone else in the toronto area knows of a good source for dw1 let me know...

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Have you been there lately? Am looking for 9 litres of dw1 (triple drain and fill) and 7.80 would be a great price. Someone on amazon.ca is selling it for $30.50... i get out to okaville quiet often so that isn't a problem.
If anyone else in the toronto area knows of a good source for dw1 let me know...
You do realize the original post is 4-1/2 years old and the OP has not been on OdyClub since Sept. 2012, right? I doubt the price would be the same, but you will get an answer quicker if you pick up the phone and call the dealer.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
I think we're all finding (anecdotally) that Honda ATF DW-1 is turning out to be a decent ATF. I'm on the Accord forums and Honda-Tech forum, and it seems to have universal acceptance by those forum members at doing a good job. But, doggone, it can be pricey. $30.50...yikes!!!

Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc seems to be one of those ATF's that makes everybody happy. Price, performance; tough to beat.

OF

P.S. bbylon5, still got the bb5 front screen mod on both Odys. They've each captured at least one large, pointy golf-ball sized rock during their service lives that might have otherwise wrecked the ATF cooler or A/C condenser. May have to put new screen on eventually, but they're still truckin'!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
P.S. bbylon5, still got the bb5 front screen mod on both Odys. They've each captured at least one large, pointy golf-ball sized rock during their service lives that might have otherwise wrecked the ATF cooler or A/C condenser. May have to put new screen on eventually, but they're still truckin'![/QUOTE]

Glad to hear it. I do this mod ASAP with any new car I have bought and it works so well. After 11 years on mine now the A/C condensor and Radiator are still bug/rock/dent free.

·
Registered
32 Posts
well this is my dilemma as well. I'm just couldn't get my thoughts straight in between DW-1 and MaxLife for 2012 Odyssey EXL. I'm using Maxlife on my 2003 Camry and it does a good job. It's widely available, good synthetic fluid and $17 gallon price point is hard to beat. However; I couldn't find out much reviews about the Maxlife ATF on Gen4 Odyssey. I read many posirive reviews from who put the Maxlife ATF in Gen2 and Gen3 Odysseys but I don't know how much difference there is in between the Gen2-Gen3 5 speed tranny and the Gen-4 5 speed tranny.

·
Registered
32 Posts
P.S. bbylon5, still got the bb5 front screen mod on both Odys. They've each captured at least one large, pointy golf-ball sized rock during their service lives that might have otherwise wrecked the ATF cooler or A/C condenser. May have to put new screen on eventually, but they're still truckin'!
Glad to hear it. I do this mod ASAP with any new car I have bought and it works so well. After 11 years on mine now the A/C condensor and Radiator are still bug/rock/dent free.[/QUOTE]

I got curios about the bbylon 5 front screen mod but couldn't find out the thread. Would you please point out the link for the thread?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Can you give me a link for that mod? Thanks.
I imagine it is some type of stout screen that stops the rocks and doesn't restrict the airflow much.
Appreciate it. :cheers:
Buffalo4

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
Off-topic, but here is the thread: LINK. Post with a pic is #14. My heat exchangers are free of bugs, no dents from rocks. Two layers of black screen (black is difficult to see). Just used a nail heated by a propane torch to push through the bumper cover for zip ties (have to remove the bumper cover).

No matter what ATF you use, this will provide physical protection for your ATF cooler or any other heat exchanger. Keeps the bugs out of the cooling fins, too. I've used it on 114-deg F days with no ill effects on airflow or cooling.

OF

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
Man, this ATF DW-1 is pricey. I'm seeing it going for almost $90 for a case of 12 on ebay (shipped from Livermore Honda).

I remember when I bought a few cases of ATF-Z1 for $36 per case, years ago. Needless to say, I'm only using the old Z1 stuff on our 4-cylinder Accord.

AmSOil Signature Series ATF works out to just under $12 per quart if one gets the pair of 2.5 gallon jugs, but that does not include sales tax and shipping. Red Line D4 (for older Odysseys, D6 for newer) is priced at just under $12 per quart, no tax, shipped to your door from Amazon.

OF

1 - 13 of 13 Posts