Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help with this one...was getting ready to do a change on my engine coolant (anti-freeze) and I noticed that on the container of anti-freeze in the directions it tells you to FLUSH the radiator. However, both my owners manual and the large blue Honda Service manual directions indicate that you simply drain the radiator and also the engine block and then fill...neither mention a flush like the anti-freeze container recommends.

Would appreciate any insight on this...thank you!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Drain fill, much easier... and really all you need to do.

·
Registered
7,772 Posts
Wish I'd taken pics of the 175,000 mile radiator I just replaced due to a crack in the plastic top tank close to the filler neck. Nothing but Honda or Prestone coolant went into it. I sawed it apart, and there was absolutely no corrosion whatsever inside the core.

In short, drain and the fill, like greg says.

OF

·
Registered
13 Posts
I a newbie here and also when it comes to draining/refilling radiators. I've read a few different way to do this. What is the proper method?

·
Registered
539 Posts
If you want to save a lot of time, only drain & refill the block and radiator as described in the document above, BUT pinch off the coolant hoses going to the front and rear heater cores. They make coolant hose pinch-off pliers and even Harbor Freight carries them.

This is a tip that I received from a professional mechanic who helped me do my timing belt change. It can take a very long time to get all of the air out of the heater core coolant loops (especially the rear one). If you want to get a higher concentration of fresh coolant into the system, do a second drain & refill of the radiator and block after the vehicle has been driven for a few days (just like one has to do with the transmission fluid since it all doesn't come out at once).

·
Registered
9,227 Posts
You only need to reverse flush the radiator if the coolant has been sorely neglected and sludge has accumulated in the cores. This worst case is what the container label is addressing. Normally, just a drain and fill is required.

·
Registered
13 Posts
See the attached...
Will this method purge the air out of the system. I have never done this before, but I was told that the air needs to be purged once new coolant is added. Also, should I let the radiator cool before taking the cap off to check the level in the radiator? It seems I will need to check the lever several times.
Thanks

·
Registered
399 Posts
Will this method purge the air out of the system. I have never done this before, but I was told that the air needs to be purged once new coolant is added. Also, should I let the radiator cool before taking the cap off to check the level in the radiator? It seems I will need to check the lever several times.
Thanks
The purpose of the repeating process in the instruction is getting the air out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I reverse flush. Granted I work at a shop and the coolant is my only expense. Plus, it gets new coolant to the whole system. The coolant has additives such as anti corrosion which break down over time. It also collects debris which circulate through the passages. I vote for flushing.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did the Coolant/Antifreeze replacement last week.

After draining the radiator and bloc, I refilled with deionized water, ran the engine with rad cap off, front and back heater ON max heat. Then drained again and refilled with 1 Gal of undiluted coolant/antifreeze and completed the fill with 50/50 pre-diluted fluid. The new fluid looks great, just like it was all new.

The only problem with that is the bloc drain plug is just above the exhaust, and I had to wait a bit to let it cool and still I had to be very carefull not to burn my arm.

I had no issue with air in the system, I did a couple of cycles of running and turning the engine off as explained in the Honds manual and all is good.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I reverse flush. Granted I work at a shop and the coolant is my only expense. Plus, it gets new coolant to the whole system. The coolant has additives such as anti corrosion which break down over time. It also collects debris which circulate through the passages. I vote for flushing.
But do shops that have those flusher machines typically use distilled water to mix with the coolant? I learned from one shop manager that they just use tap water.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Never seen any shop that has a big vat of distilled water with pump to perform this flushing. I think they all use tap water---which is not good.

Sportvan, DI water maybe better than tap but it is still better to use distilled water--only cost a buck/gallon at walmart.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Our dealer gets diluted coolant so there is no need to mix. Nissan comes that way. We don't put non oem brand coolant in for customers. We do have cases of distilled water though. Just not for mixing coolant.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sportvan, DI water maybe better than tap but it is still better to use distilled water--only cost a buck/gallon at walmart.
I work in a Molecular Biology Laboratory, the water I used comes from a machine that distills it, deionizes it, polishes and then sterilizes it through a 0.22 micon filter. I didn't bother mentioning it before but now that I'm given the opportunity :)

I know... it's overdoing it but that's the water I happened to have available.

·
Registered
7,772 Posts
That water is so devoid of any (any!) salts that it will kill any fresh water fish you might put into it...no way for them to maintain any sort of osmotic balance.

But it is oh-so-perfect for coolant dilution and topping up wet cell batteries and topping up the aquarium due to evaporative losses. :cool: I'd definitely fill my CamelBak with it.

OF

·
Registered
399 Posts
:D
I work in a Molecular Biology Laboratory, the water I used comes from a machine that distills it, deionizes it, polishes and then sterilizes it through a 0.22 micon filter. I didn't bother mentioning it before but now that I'm given the opportunity :)

I know... it's overdoing it but that's the water I happened to have available.
May be you should start filling up milk jars with you water. I am sure enthusiasts would love to get their hands on some.;)

·
Registered
7,772 Posts
See this website: Antifreeze Disposal

I have an old Rubbermaid 5 gallon gas container that holds waste antifreeze until I make a trip to OKC, since there are no disposal locations in SW OK that I've been able to find. Wal-Mart will recycle engine oil, ATF, PSF, and gear oil, which is what my other 5 gallon container holds until I'm ready to make a drop-off. They also take the used oil filters, too.

OF

1 - 20 of 22 Posts