Honda Odyssey Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
You said spark plug, as in singular? According to TSB, they are suppose to replace 4 plugs.
I suggest you call Honda corporate and open a case. It sounds like you can get reimbursed for the
expense, if only due to circumstances, ie you were traveling and unable to do the entire work at the dealer.
Even if, the dealer just filed the paperwork for the first half of tsb (spark plugs), they probably would get
reimbursed by Honda. But manufacturers are really strict about TSB/Extended warranty work and require
all sorts of proof, etc, so maybe the dealer was not sure they would get reimbursed in the first place and made
you pay for it all. So you should really talk to Honda.
Yes, they only replaced plug #3 (the one that was fouled and caused the error code). At first, they had given me no other option but to leave my vehicle with them for the next 4-5 days and rent a car (at my own expense to the tune of $500-$600!! since it would not be covered by my insurance without filing an accident claim) to continue on our trip to visit extended family. In retrospect, I realize that they were doing everything they could to do the TSB work at their dealership so they could get the $$$ from Honda. I had called almost every rental car place in town and found that they were either closed until after Christmas or were completely out of vehicles. The dealership service advisor obviously did not believe me because when I told him this, they started calling around to try to find a vehicle for me to rent. It was only after they could not find any car for me to rent that they offered to perform this "patch" maintenance of replacing the fouled plug to get us back on the road and "probably" make it to our destination in order to get the TSB work done at another dealership. They documented everything that they had found/diagnosed and sent the fouled spark plug with me so that the next dealership would have the necessary evidence to perform the TSB. But they charged me the $115 diagnosis fee because I "elected" not perform the recommended service at their dealership. The whole while, my family and I sat in their waiting area from ~11:00am to ~1:00pm without any way to get food for lunch and we were all hungry because it had been hours since we had eaten breakfast. They had us trapped and were going to get some money out of me somehow. When they said it would be another 45 minutes to replace the spark plug, I protested and asked for some way to get some food. They eventually found a driver who was able to take us through a fast-food drive thru so we could get some lunch. I have been disappointed with service departments at car dealerships before, but I think this one takes the cake.

I say fuel induction is complete b/s. Its a total money maker for the dealer.
Power steering is probably not a bad idea, but definitely nothing you cant tackle yourself with this forum's help,
nor is it absolutely necessary. Good for your car? sure.
Brake pads are obviously depends on the remaining size of pads.
Thanks for chiming in on these service recommendations. I appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Thanks for your response, CroMath. I appreciate your insight. And, yes, the second dealership did give me a $200 discount on labor for the timing belt work since they had already disassembled the engine for the TSB work.
Part of the TSB involves removing the timing belt, so in all fairness, they should replace the belt for the cost of their Very nicely inflated and padded price. I feel like every time I read one of these reports, the customer is getting railroaded by the dealer.
Sad indeed.
Don't get me wrong, I am all for dealer making fair profit. If the water pump is also being replaced, that is separate labor, as well as tensioners and idlers. However, not knowing what they are padding in extra labor and what exact parts are being replaced,
I think you are getting a very small bone here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone!
I had my 2013 Odyssey engine light blinking and VSA light on last week, 68K miles on it. When I did scan, the DTC showed P0302, but when Honda dealer did diagonisis this morning, there no such code shows, only some code shows for the VSA. The technician check all plugs , said no fouled, and recommended an oil change.
Is there possibility that when I ran the scan could erased the code? What should I do at this moment? Please advise, thanks!

·
Registered
10,946 Posts
Yes, you could have accidentally erased the codes. Also, if you drive enough and the problem is not occurring the codes will clear on their own. You'll have to wait until it happens again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, this thread has been very informative! Unfortunately, I’m just now discovering this issue. We bought a 2008 Ody in 2015, so I never received a notice from Honda about the settlement, and just now am getting a cylinder 3 misfire code. So based on everything I’m seeing, our van is out of the extended warranty period. Does anyone know what Honda is saying to customers when the vehicle is out of the warranty period? Are they offering a discount on the service since it’s at least a known issue?

Should I take it to the dealer and see what they say about it, and risk $150 diagnostic fee, plus a list of everything else they’ll tell me I need to do? Or do I just replace the plugs myself, and put VCM muzzler on and forget about everything else?

Our van only has 95k miles on it, which is probably why I’m just now having this issue.

Any suggestions are welcome!

·
Registered
10,946 Posts
Hi all, this thread has been very informative! Unfortunately, I’m just now discovering this issue. We bought a 2008 Ody in 2015, so I never received a notice from Honda about the settlement, and just now am getting a cylinder 3 misfire code. So based on everything I’m seeing, our van is out of the extended warranty period. Does anyone know what Honda is saying to customers when the vehicle is out of the warranty period? Are they offering a discount on the service since it’s at least a known issue?

Should I take it to the dealer and see what they say about it, and risk $150 diagnostic fee, plus a list of everything else they’ll tell me I need to do? Or do I just replace the plugs myself, and put VCM muzzler on and forget about everything else?

Our van only has 95k miles on it, which is probably why I’m just now having this issue.

Any suggestions are welcome!
That's what I'd do. Replace the plugs and put a Muzzler on it ASAP and you will probably be just fine. Don't wait, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I have 2009 honda oddesey having a misfire p0303. I didnt know about warrenty extension in 2016 so I put the car in local repair shop to change sparkplug and ignition coil with my pocket. But now the engine sign and vsa warnign showed up again and I jist heard about warrenty extensio of honda misfire. I contact honda customer service center. They said I am out of warrenty and no responsible at all… omg what do i have to do. I am single mom who doesnt have any idea about vehicle… plz help any advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How can elevate to honda supervisor or high position dep. I googled it but I dont know how at all. Customet service center gave me 2 bisiness days to wait response. :((

·
Registered
1 Posts
First time post: Boy do I wish I had researched you guys before I spent over 1500.00 having all of my coils replaced, and a new computer on my 2012 HO. I have since taken my car into the dealership to have the fix done and I’m picking up my van today. My question is, is there any way to have the previous repair work done reimbursed? It was work done by our local mechanic who would simply read the code my vechicle put out and repair that issue. He was obviously unaware of the settlement. As I’m writing this I’m realizing that if any reimbursement were to come it would be from my own mechanic. If he had looked up the codes he might have found the information provided here.
We are having the tension belt, timing belt and the other two spark plugs replaced so another 745.00 makes this one expensive month for car repairs!!
Ok, so once I get the van back, next step seems to be to buy the muffler. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
10,946 Posts
First time post: Boy do I wish I had researched you guys before I spent over 1500.00 having all of my coils replaced, and a new computer on my 2012 HO. I have since taken my car into the dealership to have the fix done and I’m picking up my van today. My question is, is there any way to have the previous repair work done reimbursed? It was work done by our local mechanic who would simply read the code my vechicle put out and repair that issue. He was obviously unaware of the settlement. As I’m writing this I’m realizing that if any reimbursement were to come it would be from my own mechanic. If he had looked up the codes he might have found the information provided here.
We are having the tension belt, timing belt and the other two spark plugs replaced so another 745.00 makes this one expensive month for car repairs!!
Ok, so once I get the van back, next step seems to be to buy the muffler. Thank you for your help.
You can't get reimbursed from Honda for a repair that wasn't needed. Why would your mechanic replace working coils? On a guess? "Mechanics" today need to be more than just someone who reads a code and replaces a part. Checking for service bulletins is one of the first things I do on most any car with an issue that is not obvious to me. Your mechanic replaced coils and a computer when nothing was wrong with them. Your mechanic needs more training.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Facing your issue today. Misfiring like Ray Charles, drunk at the gun range. I'll try to keep this brief. Bought this 2008 Ody EX-L in April of 2016 from a Honda dealer. Had 104K on it. I had driven for approximately 2000 miles and the oil light came on. Dipstick showed a drop of oil at the very tip. Brought it back saying WTF! In the dealerships defense they were straight forward and gave me the service history on the car from the time they obtained it. NOTE: I am the third owner. They told me that they had done some work prior to my purchase and described it as a short block rebuild and the work was under warranty. They agreed to uphold the warranty though I was NOT the owner at the time. Honda paid for the previous work and the work the dealer was to perform on my car (which was a ring replacement). From there I did more research and discovered the complete sham Honda pulled on what should have been a massive recall.
Now to current. After all that work, 50K miles later they want to charge me $3,400 to REPLACE THE RINGS...AGAIN!!!
Honda say, so sorry. You no entitled to anything. Dealership says, we can give you a 10% discount.
Word to the wise. If you have this vehicle you should part ways ASAP. The rings weren't the only unscheduled item. On my third alternator and second battery. This van is so gone from my world.
NOTE: I have been a lifetime Honda Acura buyer and NEVER had problems like this. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,946 Posts
Facing your issue today. Misfiring like Ray Charles, drunk at the gun range. I'll try to keep this brief. Bought this 2008 Ody EX-L in April of 2016 from a Honda dealer. Had 104K on it. I had driven for approximately 2000 miles and the oil light came on. Dipstick showed a drop of oil at the very tip. Brought it back saying WTF! In the dealerships defense they were straight forward and gave me the service history on the car from the time they obtained it. NOTE: I am the third owner. They told me that they had done some work prior to my purchase and described it as a short block rebuild and the work was under warranty. They agreed to uphold the warranty though I was NOT the owner at the time. Honda paid for the previous work and the work the dealer was to perform on my car (which was a ring replacement). From there I did more research and discovered the complete sham Honda pulled on what should have been a massive recall.
Now to current. After all that work, 50K miles later they want to charge me $3,400 to REPLACE THE RINGS...AGAIN!!!
Honda say, so sorry. You no entitled to anything. Dealership says, we can give you a 10% discount.
Word to the wise. If you have this vehicle you should part ways ASAP. The rings weren't the only unscheduled item. On my third alternator and second battery. This van is so gone from my world.
NOTE: I have been a lifetime Honda Acura buyer and NEVER had problems like this. Good luck.
You signed up on this forum in August of 2016. Have you not read anything here since then? Installing a VCM defeat device (i.e. VCMuzzler, MaxMuzzler, VCMTuner, etc.) will prevent, and often reverse, the oil burning and plug fouling. New plugs and a VCM defeat device and most likely the problems will go away. $100 and problem is solved unless it's been too long and too much damage is done. The new rings and plugs is only a temporary fix.

My guess is the reason you're on the third alternator is because someone has put on cheap Chinese reman alternators when the first one failed (usually around the 100-150K range.) If you put on a Denso (the OEM brand) reman you will replace it once and be done. If you're using Carquest, Duralast, or any other parts house brand ramans you will replace them numerous times due to cheap aftermarket junk. You're blaming Honda for this when it's not Honda's fault.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Installing a VCM defeat device (i.e. VCMuzzler, MaxMuzzler, VCMTuner, etc.) will prevent, and often reverse, the oil burning and plug fouling. New plugs and a VCM defeat device and most likely the problems will go away. $100 and problem is solved unless it's been too long and too much damage is done. The new rings and plugs is only a temporary fix.
I did purchase the VCM device, but it WAS too late. After only 40K miles, too late. I have it in place now and I'm STILL burning oil after a complete piston ring replacement.

·
Registered
10,946 Posts
I did purchase the VCM device, but it WAS too late. After only 40K miles, too late. I have it in place now and I'm STILL burning oil after a complete piston ring replacement.
There are other reasons an engine can burn oil aside from VCM-caused stuck/dirty rings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My guess is the reason you're on the third alternator is because someone has put on cheap Chinese reman alternators when the first one failed (usually around the 100-150K range.) If you put on a Denso (the OEM brand) reman you will replace it once and be done. If you're using Carquest, Duralast, or any other parts house brand ramans you will replace them numerous times due to cheap aftermarket junk. You're blaming Honda for this when it's not Honda's fault.
And you guessed wrong. All my work has been done at the dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You may have missed my comment regarding recent replacement of the piston rings. I have 100 miles on the new set of rings.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts