Honda Odyssey Forum banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
10,946 Posts
And you guessed wrong. All my work has been done at the dealer.
You've had three alternators in two years from the same dealer? Something doesn't smell right. I've never seen reports like this when Denso remans are used. You need to go somewhere else for your maintenance.

·
Registered
10,946 Posts
You may have missed my comment regarding recent replacement of the piston rings. I have 100 miles on the new set of rings.
100 miles? I'd reserve judgment until the rings have seated in. It takes at least 500 miles to break in an engine, which is essentially what you're doing. Once you get some miles on it and the rings seat in then post back with your oil consumption.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Waiting to hear from dealer about whether Honda will cover anything for our '09 Ody. We bought it used and never got any info on the settlement until I found this thread. Luckily we had the van into the dealer complaining about high oil consumption in 2015, but they never even mentioned that this VCM problem could be at fault. We did have plugs replaced once when the check engine came on, but not at the dealer. Anyway, we will see what happens - meanwhile does anyone recommend one or another of the VCM muzzler products? there is one called S-VCM Controller that seems to be out of Canada, and claims to be better than a fixed resistance type.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I don’t think any Honda dealer would admit to VCM being an issue. Honda seems to ignore the VCM issues.
You're right about never hearing a Honda dealer fault the VCM on the record - they won't do it. But they're not ignoring the issue; they're just focusing on the symptoms instead of the cause.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have a 2009 Touring Odyssey with 118k km (Canada) when the check engine and VSA light came on. After hooking up the OBDII I borrowed, I got the code P0302.
I looked it up and saw it was likely the plug and hadn’t come across the VCM issue yet.
When I went to the dealer and picked up plugs and told them the code, VCM was never mentioned.
Upon changing the plugs myself, I discovered the plugs for the 2nd and 3rd cylinders really carboned up. The no 2 plug was also cracked and missing insulation near the electrode. Upon looking further, I learnt of this VCM issue (thanks Odyclub).
Reading about a high consumption of engine oil, I checked the dipstick and it was dry! I was near the end of my service interval and had planned on taking it in for an oil change soon anyhow.
I phone the Honda dealer where we have done most of its service who said there was service bulletin in 2013 regarding this and a software update that was never performed.
I was told I might want to speak with Honda Canada but was out of the 8 year extended that I had never heard of.
We have owned the odyssey since 2011 and taken it to the dealership for near everything. I was surprised and a little shocked to hear about all of this for the first time.
Upon research, I found that the class action was in the U.S preventing anyone else from suing after the fact, but not in Canada. I found a release online from Honda Canada (HC) saying at the time of the class action that they were aware, would honour the same and notify the owners who would possibly be effected.
Funny thing though, we were never notified of the potential issue and it seemed buried at the dealership level. No one ever mentioned any potential issues, extended warranty or the like.
HC initially said to bad so sad... your outside of the extended warranty.
I took it into another dealership for a diagnosis with the plugs in hand and asked them to check the oil level too. Initially the service manager claimed to not know of this VCM issue but after it was obvious I knew what I was talking about, the tune changed and he knew all about it.
They confirmed the diagnosis and measuresd less than a litre of oil from the engine.
With my case in hand, I argued with HC about the slimy way they were hoping to run out the clock on this issue (instead of a recall) and not notifying us in any way.
I was ready for a fight (small claims court) but I’m surprised to say that HC has agreed to pay 85% of the job before having to make it an issue.
Since the timing belt is also due, I’ll be doing both jobs at once which might have been a factor in HC changing their tune. It took well over a month and some calls between HC and the dealership to accept the claim.
So yes, they have tried to bury the VCM issue as best they could, but there is still some hope for some...

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Way to go! I admire your perseverance and am glad you had some success with Honda to resolve this matter. VCM is a disaster and I feel bad for all the Honda owners that aren’t aware of the issue and don’t know they should “muzzle” their VCM. It is shameful that Honda, for years, has ignored this defect. I wonder if they still sell VCM engines on their current models?

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I have registered just to post something about my 2008 odyssey related to vcm issue. I bought the 2008 ody new from the dealer in 2008. I was never informed about the "vcm" issue so I was not aware of this potential problem. In dec/2018, the CEL suddenly started flashing while I was driving on the highway. While at highway speed, things seemed normal, but idling was rough. I decided to take it to the dealer garage. I was told about some "misfire" problem and the engine was consuming too much oil, and some s.plugs were "fouled" up. The dealer recommended replacing piston rings to address the oil consumption issues and a few other things. I got my ody back and it seemed to run better than before.
Based on what the service guy told me, I started googling "misfire codes" and found this forum. After reading the posts here and a few other websites on this issue, I came to the conclusion that there seems to be 2 different issues or root causes of the "vcm" problem. I am not mechanically inclined and know very little about how engine works so I may be totally wrong about my understanding. Issue #1 is the oil consumption. Am I correct to assume that the oil consumption issue is due to defective piston ring design, and thus to solve the oil consumption issue, existing piston rings have to be replaced by the new piston rings. (I assume that the new piston rings have been re-engineered to solve the excessive oil burning issue.) The second issue is the VCM, which if I understand how it works, is that by turning off certain cylinders to conserve fuel consumption therefore resulting in unburned oil fouling up the s.plugs (certain ones). It seems the provided "fix" does not address the second issue (or does it?). I have driven my ody twice so far after it has been "fixed", and the green ECO light did come out. I assume this indicates that the "vcm" feature is still "active". However, I got the impression that the green ECO light is not behaving like before. For example, before the "fix", I never notice the green "ECO" light coming on when I step on the brake, but now it seems to come out every time I try to slowdown. Does anyone know if the "fix" (beside the piston ring etc) actually include a s/w update to "adjust" the VCM functionality? I also have another question regarding the aftermarket device that turn off the vcm. What is the purpose of turning vcm? Is it to prevent excessive oil burning, or is it to prevent damage to the piston rings? I am considering disabling the vcm but I just want to be sure it is still necessary after the "fix". Thank in advance to anyone who care to respond.

·
Registered
13,794 Posts
There is a third reason, there are special active motor mounts that die a slow and expensive death when VCM activates and deactivates. All this to save 1 MPG is kind of silly in my opinion. Now when you are Honda Corp and you have to meet a fleetwide average MPG number, 1 MPG on one of your largest vehicles might be worth it. But for the owner, not so much.

You failed to disclose the miles on your van when this happened. That information is helpful to others. Also, did Honda cover this repair?

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is a third reason, there are special active motor mounts that die a slow and expensive death when VCM activates and deactivates. All this to save 1 MPG is kind of silly in my opinion. Now when you are Honda Corp and you have to meet a fleetwide average MPG number, 1 MPG on one of your largest vehicles might be worth it. But for the owner, not so much.

You failed to disclose the miles on your van when this happened. That information is helpful to others. Also, did Honda cover this repair?
My ody had about 145k km when the "problem" happened. The total cost for the repair was about $3k. At this point in time, I am just wondering if the VCM needs disabling to prevent all the issues associated with this "vcm" issue again ...?

Will the vcm damage the piston rings, or just cause excessive oil burn? (other than the active engine mount)?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
First off, Honda should have covered the cost of the repair. I don’t think there are new and improved piston rings. The same thing will happen again if you don’t muzzle the VCM. There’s no reason not to do this. The VCM causes the excessive oil usage due to worn piston rings which in turn also causes the misfires, fouled plugs, etc.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
So I have registered just to post something about my 2008 odyssey related to vcm issue. I bought the 2008 ody new from the dealer in 2008. I was never informed about the "vcm" issue so I was not aware of this potential problem. In dec/2018, the CEL suddenly started flashing while I was driving on the highway. While at highway speed, things seemed normal, but idling was rough. I decided to take it to the dealer garage. I was told about some "misfire" problem and the engine was consuming too much oil, and some s.plugs were "fouled" up. The dealer recommended replacing piston rings to address the oil consumption issues and a few other things. I got my ody back and it seemed to run better than before.
Based on what the service guy told me, I started googling "misfire codes" and found this forum. After reading the posts here and a few other websites on this issue, I came to the conclusion that there seems to be 2 different issues or root causes of the "vcm" problem. I am not mechanically inclined and know very little about how engine works so I may be totally wrong about my understanding. Issue #1 is the oil consumption. Am I correct to assume that the oil consumption issue is due to defective piston ring design, and thus to solve the oil consumption issue, existing piston rings have to be replaced by the new piston rings. (I assume that the new piston rings have been re-engineered to solve the excessive oil burning issue.) The second issue is the VCM, which if I understand how it works, is that by turning off certain cylinders to conserve fuel consumption therefore resulting in unburned oil fouling up the s.plugs (certain ones). It seems the provided "fix" does not address the second issue (or does it?). I have driven my ody twice so far after it has been "fixed", and the green ECO light did come out. I assume this indicates that the "vcm" feature is still "active". However, I got the impression that the green ECO light is not behaving like before. For example, before the "fix", I never notice the green "ECO" light coming on when I step on the brake, but now it seems to come out every time I try to slowdown. Does anyone know if the "fix" (beside the piston ring etc) actually include a s/w update to "adjust" the VCM functionality? I also have another question regarding the aftermarket device that turn off the vcm. What is the purpose of turning vcm? Is it to prevent excessive oil burning, or is it to prevent damage to the piston rings? I am considering disabling the vcm but I just want to be sure it is still necessary after the "fix". Thank in advance to anyone who care to respond.
Lets say Honda sold 300,000 VCM2 minivans per year, lets narrow it down to 2008-2016 years. Thats 9 years times 300,000 = 2,700,000 minivans.
Lets imagine for a second that each one registers on this very site and asks the same question that has been literally asked every day for the last 5 years.
If you spend an hour of your time on this forum, you will find more than you ever wanted to know about VCM, Muzzlers, how Honda hides the problem,
and how good and useful this forum is, but before reinventing the wheel, just please search.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Charles,

Next time you post, break up your thoughts into smaller paragraphs, as the long, long paragraph is hard to read and follow.

That being said, there is a sticky in the forum for VCM/Muzzler issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lets say Honda sold 300,000 VCM2 minivans per year, lets narrow it down to 2008-2016 years. Thats 9 years times 300,000 = 2,700,000 minivans.
Lets imagine for a second that each one registers on this very site and asks the same question that has been literally asked every day for the last 5 years.
If you spend an hour of your time on this forum, you will find more than you ever wanted to know about VCM, Muzzlers, how Honda hides the problem,
and how good and useful this forum is, but before reinventing the wheel, just please search.
My apologies for upsetting you with my post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Charles,

Next time you post, break up your thoughts into smaller paragraphs, as the long, long paragraph is hard to read and follow.

That being said, there is a sticky in the forum for VCM/Muzzler issues.
Thanks for the advise. Will do that next time. The purpose of my original post was to share my ody/vms story and to ask a few questions to help me understand the issue.

I was trying to establish the linkage between "vcm" and "excessive oil consumption". How did the oil get into the combustion chambers if the piston rings were functioning as intended? That is why I asked whether the new set of piston rings have been redesigned? If this question has already been answered (verifiable) then I apologize in advance.

81 - 100 of 113 Posts