Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It has been posted that Canadian Honda oil filters are made by Fram. It has recently been reported that US versions are now also being supplied by Fram. You can find more details doing a search of the message board/forum on this web site that specializes on car oil, filters & lubrication:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

It is also mentioned within this interesting thread about who manufactures which filters:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000123

Is Fram good or bad, and which other filters (and oil) are good, better and best? This stuff is all thoroughly debated. Although cardboard components may not inspire confidence, Fram is said to have the largest share of the passenger car oil filter market, and how many times have you heard of their filters failing, or damage of engines using their filters? I'm not supporting nor attacking their filters, just being objective. BTW, Wal-Mart's Super Tech filters may be pretty good - they're made by the same company that produces Mobil 1, STP, and Bosch premium filters.

Cheers,
-Doug-

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well, if it's labeled Honda, it must conform with the Honda specs. Whatever specs Fram has for the on-the-shelf stuff at Pep Boys may or may not be the same. The fact that Honda oil filters is made by Fram should not be relevant to the quality.

·
Registered
172 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the current part number on the oil filter (15400-PT7-005) is made by Filtech of Canada.

The original part number of 15400-PR3-004 was made by Toyo Roki of Japan, but I haven't seen those in years. The Japan made ones are in boxes, the Canadian filters are shrink wrapped.

I've heard of Frams in the mix, but I can't recall seeing them. The only other filter part number is 15400-P0H-305.

All Honda filters I have seen have appeard to be high quality units, from an empirical standpoint. I'd be interested to see if anyone could do a technical examination of them for our own purposes here on OdyClub.

·
0 Posts
With regular oil/filter changes, any filter will do IMO. I use Fram btw and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you're picky and want the best oil filters, then get AMSOIL's SDF brand (SDF-20 fits the Odyssey, if I recall correctly). They've got the best materials, efficiency, capacity. I believe the pressure drop is less (better) than other high efficiency filters. And if you're REALLY picky, you can install one of AMSOIL's offline filters as well which will keep your oil virtually as clean as it was when it came out of the bottle. You will still get contaminants from combustion, but the metal particulates from engine wear (if any) will be completely removed. I only have the SDF full flow filter installed.

Whatever you do, don't use the teflon filters and put teflon in your engine!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hondacuraworld said:
To the best of my knowledge, the current part number on the oil filter (15400-PT7-005) is made by Filtech of Canada.

The original part number of 15400-PR3-004 was made by Toyo Roki of Japan, but I haven't seen those in years. The Japan made ones are in boxes, the Canadian filters are shrink wrapped.

I've heard of Frams in the mix, but I can't recall seeing them. The only other filter part number is 15400-P0H-305.

All Honda filters I have seen have appeard to be high quality units, from an empirical standpoint. I'd be interested to see if anyone could do a technical examination of them for our own purposes here on OdyClub.
Tim, thanks for your insight. Take a look at the following link; I'm still not certain I follow the outcome, but this is where I first heard of supposed Frams replacing Filtechs? Maybe you could post your info. on that board as well as here?

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000083#000003

Cheers,
-Doug-

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well, the info there is partially accurate. The filter they pictured from "The Parts Bin" is an obvious knockoff as no Honda filter that I can ever recall seeing actually has the part number stamped right on it, and will always be stamped on top with the "H" logo.

The Toyo Roki filters are not blue boxed, they are tan or gray boxed. Toyo Roki and Filtech are not the same company, either.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
The filters I have been using are the Canadian ones, which come wrapped in clear plastic, with a data sticker attached. There is no P/N on the filter itself.

Jerry O.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Filtech supply dwindling?

Bought 10 filters today. The first filter I was shown was not Filtech. (Are they trying to hang on to these?) So I asked for Filtech and he found them, but said he did not have many left.

FWIW, my dealer discounted to $4.25 each for this quantity purchase.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What part number was on the filters you got? And what was the one they were going to give you, if you recall?

·
Registered
69 Posts
hondacuraworld said:
What part number was on the filters you got? And what was the one they were going to give you, if you recall?
The Honda p/n for the Filtech filter is 15400-POH-305. This Honda p/n is on the adhesive label applied to the clear plastic wrapper. On the filter itself is marked "Filtech Inc. 2H19".
Sorry, but I did not make any notes on the other filter. I believe it is a different p/n and that both p/n's are listed as interchangeable in their parts shop manual.

·
Registered
859 Posts
So, are the Canadian filters made by Filtech? The Toyo Roki web site doesn't show manufacturing in Canada.
http://www.toyoroki.co.jp/english/company/base/over_sea/index.html

Does anyone know for sure who makes the 15400-PT7-005 oil filters made in Canada? There seems to be conflicting info being posted. Or maybe I'm missing something.

-Mark

·
Registered
318 Posts
Only one clear way to see if it is Fram made,

cut it apart and check the element inside. If it has cardboard end caps it is made by Fram.

There is a strong chance that if the filter is marked Made In Canada it is made by Fram as far as the Honda Oil filter is concerned.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

RobertC

Aardvaark said:
So, are the Canadian filters made by Filtech? The Toyo Roki web site doesn't show manufacturing in Canada.
http://www.toyoroki.co.jp/english/company/base/over_sea/index.html

Does anyone know for sure who makes the 15400-PT7-005 oil filters made in Canada? There seems to be conflicting info being posted. Or maybe I'm missing something.

-Mark

·
Registered
859 Posts
RobertC said:
Only one clear way to see if it is Fram made,

cut it apart and check the element inside. If it has cardboard end caps it is made by Fram.

There is a strong chance that if the filter is marked Made In Canada it is made by Fram as far as the Honda Oil filter is concerned.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

RobertC
Thanks for the reply. Next time I change the oil/filter, I'll cut the old filter apart and check for cardboard end caps. That is if someone else does't beat me to it, since I just did an oil change a few days ago but didn't save the old Canadian made filter, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
But do you know for sure if Honda's specs allow for cardboard end caps?

Just because Fram manufactures something, doesn't mean that they manufacture it the same way they manufacture something else. It all comes down to the specs.

You can't say "Fram makes all their filters the same way, even the filters they make under contract for Honda and Ford and GM and whomever". That's just not the case.

·
Registered
859 Posts
So we're back to not knowing for sure who makes the Canadian filters?

-Mark

·
Registered
318 Posts
Dear Adam,

Filter manufacturer will rarely make major changes to accomodate a contract unless it would be profitable for them.

As you are probably aware, all those car manufacturer are going on tender for their filter needs. There are alot of filter manufacturer that wants the business and it is a cut throat industry.

The Honda filter I cut open within the past year (made in Canada) had the distinctive signature of a Fram filter painted blue with a Honda logo.

I am not saying that Fram is no good but for my personnal cars I refuse to have one of their filter installed up to the point that I refuse oil changes at the local Honda dealership since they have only the Fram made Honda oil filter.

The Fram filter will do the job it was made for, the major question is how long it will do it and does it provide the best protection you are willing to accept for the money out of your pockets.

Best regards from Montreal

RobertC

adam1991 said:
But do you know for sure if Honda's specs allow for cardboard end caps?

Just because Fram manufactures something, doesn't mean that they manufacture it the same way they manufacture something else. It all comes down to the specs.

You can't say "Fram makes all their filters the same way, even the filters they make under contract for Honda and Ford and GM and whomever". That's just not the case.

·
Registered
119 Posts
back2earth said:
The Honda p/n for the Filtech filter is 15400-POH-305. This Honda p/n is on the adhesive label applied to the clear plastic wrapper. On the filter itself is marked "Filtech Inc. 2H19".
I'll backup back2earth's statement. I installed a Honda p/n 15400-POH-305 filter on my Prelude this weekend. Filtech is printed on the filter.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's been at least a year since I've seen that part number.....hm.

Personally I don't see any cause for concern any way you slice it. I've never seen a Honda engine fail :confused:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts