Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have installed the Honda fog lights on '01 and '02 Ody's why is it necessary to remove the front bumper cover? It appears to me that it is required in order to feed the wire harnesses to the fog light locations.

With that in mind, I did the same installation of the Honda projector type fog lights on my '00 and the removal of the bumper was not part of the procedure. Except for the style of the housings the instructions are nearly identical. Did anyone try and do the installation without removing the bumper? What obstacle(s) were encountered?

------------------
Mike Lowary
'00 traded-in
'02 ordered

'96 Honda Accord EX
'01 Honda Goldwing ABS
'96 Honda Helix

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I didn't even think of trying the install w/o removing the bumper; and I'm pretty sure it isn't worth trying.

You need to insert the fog light assemblies from the front of the bumper into brackets that are installed from the rear. I wouldn't want to try to install the brackets w/o removing the bumper. Even if that was possible, I doubt that you'd be able to install the screws that hold the assemblies to the bracket with the bumper on the vehicle.

Removing the bumper is not a big deal. There are only 4 screws and about a half dozen clips holding it in place. It's not very heavy. You do need a helper just because of its size and flexibility.

Please read my Fog Light Installation Notes. I think they'll help you.

Mel

[This message has been edited by Mel (edited 12-24-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
To add to what Mel says, removing the front bumper would probably be worth it even if it wasn't absolutely necessary. Access and everything is so much improved and the whole process is so easy that it's definitely worth it. It's just that the idea of it is a little bit daunting.

Granted, it's still not something you want to do everyday, but as long as you're careful not to scratch the paint, you'll be glad you did it. Just take your time and have a helper to assist in the final removal; like Mel says, not because it's heavy, but just to protect it from being dropped or scratched cuz it's pretty floppy.

Good luck.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm trying to decide on which fog lights to get for my 2002 EX. HandA has two different versions advertised: square shaped for $300, and round lens for $200. Does anyone have an opinion of one versus the other? Are there better brands to use that would be brighter?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I installed the round type on my '01 Odyssey about a month ago. It fills the area between the headlight and bumper farely nicely. Side-to-side lighting is adequate, but not signficant. Not sure if the other style creates more lighting or not.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rick,
If you can wait a few weeks on your buying decision (we're leaving on a week long cruise next Saturday) I may be able to help you on which foglight to get for your Odyssey. I installed the round, projector type lights on my '00 Ody (they were the only choice then) and I liked them very much. They filled the area in front of the car very well. My only concern with them was that the lens was also the bulb, thus if the lens was cracked from a flying rock you were out a lot of money, I would guess.

My '02 Odyssey is scheduled to be delivered any day now (in transit I am told) and I already have the "square" ones here waiting to be installed. I will install them within a week or two of getting back and will be able to give you an evaluation of the "square" ones compared to the round ones.

------------------
Mike Lowary
'00 traded-in
'02 ordered

'96 Honda Accord EX
'01 Honda Goldwing ABS
'96 Honda Helix

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mike

That would be great. I'm not in any particular hurry to make a decision. Spending three hours in an unheated garage installing lights isn't too appealing so I'll be waiting anyway.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just installed the large style fogs in my wife's '02 over the weekend. They work really, really well. Much better than I expected. I think they look better than the rounds.
Check previous posts for the install because there are errors in the instructions.
Definitely remove the bumper cover. Took two minutes. You can remove it yourself but it's handy to have help reinstalling it.
The lights are fairly deep and I don't think there's enough room to work the screws if you don't. It'll be much less iritating if you do plus it's worth seeing the look on her face when she sees what you did!
It's fun, took a few hours, but worth it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rickse:
Mike

That would be great. I'm not in any particular hurry to make a decision. Spending three hours in an unheated garage installing lights isn't too appealing so I'll be waiting anyway.
</font>
Rick,

I finished the install of the "square" type fog lights tonight. I like them a lot for their appearance, BUT...I think the projectors were a tad bit better in the light output in front of the van.

The "square" ones are not deficient at all and provide a very good pattern as well.
I just think the projectors were a little bit better. Plus you don't have to remove the front bumper, but then that wasn't a big deal either.

I sound like a metronome...back and forth. With either one you won't be dissatisfied. Go with the one you like the appearance of the best.

------------------
Mike Lowary
Freeport, IL

'02 GG EX-L
splash guards, Honda 6 disc in dash CD changer, Honda fog lights, cargo tray, leather steering wheel cover

'96 Honda Accord EX
'01 Honda Goldwing ABS
'96 Honda Helix

·
Registered
80 Posts
Round fog lights vs square ones

Hi Sixtn39 - thanks for your post...very helpful. A quick question: you indicated the installation of the round ones does not require removing the front bumper, but that of the squared ones does. However, by looking at the installation instruction, it appears to me that the light assembly is attached in a similar way for both types.

I am getting the round type soon. I just wonder if I will be better off removing the bumper anyway, even though the installation instruction does not require it. Any input from anyone will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Not necessary to remove the bumper with the round fogs. I didn't. Took me about 3 hours to install.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brown Bear, it is definitely easier to do the entire job if you remove the front bumper. Removal is not as involved as you may imagine. My advise is to follow the instructions. Afterwards you will realize that you didn't have to.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Re: Round fog lights vs square ones

brownbear said:
Hi Sixtn39 - thanks for your post...very helpful. A quick question: you indicated the installation of the round ones does not require removing the front bumper, but that of the squared ones does. However, by looking at the installation instruction, it appears to me that the light assembly is attached in a similar way for both types.

I am getting the round type soon. I just wonder if I will be better off removing the bumper anyway, even though the installation instruction does not require it. Any input from anyone will be greatly appreciated.
Absolutely no need to remove bumper when installing the round fogs. I believe the diffference is that the semirectangular housing has to be attached from the back while the round housing can be attached from the front.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts