Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda has a horrible method of grounding in many locations of the vehicles. I find it very problematic on their use of one screw with 10 ring terminals in it for grounding. First let's start with the screw head being the method of holding all the ring terminals (or even forks). Are you sure the screw is tight enough? Is it a metal screw or a machine screw, you are counting on a ground being made from the threads and captivated by the head of the screw. A metal screw gives you very little surface area on the thread for making a body or chassis ground. The body or chassis is painted so the ring or fork terminals do not make surface contact with ground. In-between all the ring or fork connectors are squeezed together, try grabbing any of the wires in the middle and rotate them side to side to find out how loose they are. I have not personally found any multiple wire connection that I couldn't wiggle the wires free This creates resistance and when you create resistance their is arcing and corrosion. Many of the problems that cannot be found is probably an improper ground.

Using a Square D 15 terminal ground bar part number PK15GTACP that will hold wire sizes 4-AWG to 14-AWG (or smaller if solder doubled over). They can have a ground wire from the battery routed to the area of ground bar, or you can use machine screws and nuts to bond the ground bar to the chassis or body. Before attaching remove the paint from where the ground bar sits at, if the ground bar is 1/4" wide and 6" length, clean it the full width and length. Preferred methos is using a drill with wire brush. If you have any Penetrox or some Electrical joint compound for proper connection between metal parts, also it is a Oxide-inhibiting compound for preventing galvanic corrosion and enhancing connection in electrical joints. With this type of grounding you may only lose a single ground wire if not tightened properly and you could series the ground connection bars using a larger wire from the source to the series ground bar. If the bar is too big you can purchase smaller ground bars such as a 5 terminal ground bar by different manufacturers or Square D.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Are you selling these? Got any photos of one installed? How to you prevent the area where you clean the paint from rust? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you selling these? Got any photos of one installed? How to you prevent the area where you clean the paint from rust? Thanks in advance.
They are available at electrical stores, Home Depot show them in stock at: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-15-Terminal-Ground-Bar-Kit-PK15GTACP/202353315
Amazon also has them at: https://www.amazon.com/Square-Schneider-Electric-PK15GTACP-Terminal/dp/B0052DMFU8
Or you can just type in PK15GTACP into your favorite Search engine.

To prevent the corrosion use Penetrox E on the area you clean free of paint, it is a silicone base with copper particles suspended in its makeup here is one of many places to buy it:

If you want to attach to the body or chassis, I cleared the paint area first, taped the side and top of the ground bus bar with masking tape, attached machine screws to the body or chassis, and primer-ed and painted around the ground bus bar. In areas that you cannot drill and thread to is where I run a #10 solid wire back to the battery.

When the weather behaves itself outside I will take some pictures, as I do not have a garage. :cry:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You are replacing every grounding point on the car? Impressive. That's some serious work.
I am retired, so I have a lot of tinker time to work with. Haven't got around to all of ground points yet but should by next summer-fall ending. The bad thing is to pull apart all of the trim, one day possibly I will get to them all. This coming summer the first one I'll tackle is the entire front dash and mirror attachment. This is where I believe I will find the most of problems that other people have had with the entertainment and GPS section. In the areas where I cannot screw ground bus bar in I definitely will extend the ground wire from the front battery, also I will use adhesive glue to hold the ground bus bar to chassis or body. In the doors if they have any grounds attached to them for the mirror folding motor, mirror adjustment motor or heaters in the mirrors, window motor, I will probably use #10 stranded wire so as the door opens and close, the wire will not break. Just another detail to look at when I get there. I will definitely take my 35MM camera out for picture taking and post them as I complete a compartment.

Also need to purchase one days worth from (https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx) for downloading internal body panels and all electrical schematics. That will be a pain finding what I need, download it move on to next area and download again. Sure wish they would have produced the 2018 Honda Odyssey books instead!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well I can save you the time with the front doors and mirrors. There are no grounding points there. All ground wires are in the wiring harnesses going back to the car. (I installed the auto folding mirrors on my touring, so I had the doors apart).

There are wiring diagrams available online, I'll check if they have locations of all grounding points (I would think they do).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks like you can get the location of ground points for free from the electrical wiring diagrams. Here are some of the big ones (circled in red). You can see how many wires are being attached at each point.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I can save you the time with the front doors and mirrors. There are no grounding points there. All ground wires are in the wiring harnesses going back to the car. (I installed the auto folding mirrors on my touring, so I had the doors apart).

There are wiring diagrams available online, I'll check if they have locations of all grounding points (I would think they do).
Thanks! For some reason or another I have not been able to download the wiring diagrams on this forum. I use Firefox and than even tried Internet Explorer. This will save me from pulling the door panels.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like you can get the location of ground points for free from the electrical wiring diagrams. Here are some of the big ones (circled in red). You can see how many wires are being attached at each point.
Thanks again, narrows down locations so I don't open up everything in the ODY. I am going to have try again downloading from this Forum. I know that when I download the TSB I have to use Internet Explorer to do so as FireFox will just show a blank screen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts