1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1999 Odyssey
I do not turn a wrench but I can if need be
Ok... With that being said...
I drove it home and the darn thing broke a timing belt....
Well fixed that... So I thought ...
But it does not run... It feels like it is only running on 4 cyl.
So i asked around and it seems that i might of bent a valve... I have no idea... Help

·
Registered
994 Posts
You most likely bent several valves but before we go down that road have you: 1) have you double checked your timing marks 2) If you are sure the timing is on perform a compression test if you haven't already.

The compression test will tell you if you have bent valves and on what cylinders. If you have bent valves you will need to rebuild the heads.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Wow, talk about bad timing, no pun intended. What "mwe2121" says is good info. If bent you could get them replaced which is a pain or swap the engine, used engines are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
283 Posts
OP, I am going to assume that you have bent valves. I went through this in our Accord ages ago. I had the timing belt done and just under 2 years later, it jumped some teeth taking off from a light. The shop that did the job took the car back, paid for the tow, took off the head, sent it out for a valve job and put it all back together pro bono. They think that the gasket was inside the timing cover in one place and the belt caught it when taking off.
OK, anecdotal story aside, you said you just bought it. You might want to investigate legal obligations of the seller especially if it was reasonable to expect that the belt needed to be done or its urgency wasn't disclosed. You might not get anywhere, you never know....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts