Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, apologies if I'm not allowed to post this question here, but I was hoping I would get more visibility in this forum. I will delete this post if this is not kosher. :)

Anyways, my question concerns the Honda LATCH weight limit, which based upon other threads, appears to be 40 pounds for the child's weight (i.e., not including car seat weight). However, the Radian XTSL car seat is stated to be rated for LATCH use up to the full 80 pound child weight limit of the car seat, provided the car has been manufactured after Sept. 1, 2005.

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to reconcile the Honda LATCH limit of 40 pounds with the Radian's SuperLATCH which is supposed to be rated for up to 80 pounds on any vehicle build after 9/1/05. If it's safe to go with the Radian's stated 80 pound limit, could I also safely use a Britax Boulevard car seat over 40 pounds? Britax simply refers to whatever weight limit is specified by the manufacturer, but the stated weight limit apparently is not meaningful for the Radian XTSL?

Very confused!

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
You would actually have gotten a better respose in Kids and Safety. You cannot delete threads here (even if its yours). I can move it after a couple of days if you don't get bites here. The Kids forum has a few dedicated CST certified folks posting frequently. Caviller is one of 'em and there are a couple more members that are certified technicians who mostly just frequent the Kids and Safety forum. :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
We have Radian car seats and they are very different from other car seats: their metal frame makes them heavier but they appear (have not had a chance to test it yet, and hoping not to...) to be sturdier. So I would not be surprised to learn that they can withstand the weight of a heavier kid in an accident.

As to the LATCH hooks, the only information I could find that makes sense is that there does not seem to a standard for their strength.

http://www.thecarseatlady.com/vehicles/the_latch_system_4.html

Nicolas

·
Registered
369 Posts
dusterbuster said:
Hey guys, apologies if I'm not allowed to post this question here, but I was hoping I would get more visibility in this forum. I will delete this post if this is not kosher. :)

Anyways, my question concerns the Honda LATCH weight limit, which based upon other threads, appears to be 40 pounds for the child's weight (i.e., not including car seat weight). However, the Radian XTSL car seat is stated to be rated for LATCH use up to the full 80 pound child weight limit of the car seat, provided the car has been manufactured after Sept. 1, 2005.

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to reconcile the Honda LATCH limit of 40 pounds with the Radian's SuperLATCH which is supposed to be rated for up to 80 pounds on any vehicle build after 9/1/05. If it's safe to go with the Radian's stated 80 pound limit, could I also safely use a Britax Boulevard car seat over 40 pounds? Britax simply refers to whatever weight limit is specified by the manufacturer, but the stated weight limit apparently is not meaningful for the Radian XTSL?

Very confused!
The 40lb spec is PER latch. Of which you would be using two, giving you your 80lb match. (at least thats how I understood Honda's limit)

Also consider there is human safty factor here. So those latches are actually good for 3-6x their rating.

No worries.

Edit: One more thing. You probably will not use this seat when your kid is 50-60 lbs. And above 40lbs, most seats arent even using latch anchors. Something to look into...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, everyone for the input. It is definitely an area that could use more clarity on the part of car and car seat manufacturers. I actually already have a Radian XTSL, and was just debating the merits of purchasing a second Radian XTSL versus a Britax Boulevard CS 70. In the end, I can always just use the seat belt to secure either car seat when the kids get older for peace of mind (although using the LATCH is easier).

·
Registered
513 Posts
dusterbuster said:
Thanks, everyone for the input. It is definitely an area that could use more clarity on the part of car and car seat manufacturers. I actually already have a Radian XTSL, and was just debating the merits of purchasing a second Radian XTSL versus a Britax Boulevard CS 70. In the end, I can always just use the seat belt to secure either car seat when the kids get older for peace of mind (although using the LATCH is easier).
Hum... As someone with car seats (2 Radians and 1 booster) I would say you need to keep in mind which seat you are dealing with.

For example, the Bitax with its plastic frame may not be good for bigger kids unless they are using the car seat belt to keep the kid in, not to hold the seat. The Radian, is very strong but also heavier and may do more harm if the kid got squeezed between it and the belt...

Hoping you never find out,

Nicolas

·
Registered
16 Posts
I called Honda about this and they told me the LATCH limit of my 2010 is up to the limit on the carseat. So, the Radian can be used well past 40lbs.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Re: Re: Honda LATCH limit versus Radian SuperLATCH rating

RinconVTR said:
The 40lb spec is PER latch. Of which you would be using two, giving you your 80lb match. (at least thats how I understood Honda's limit)

Also consider there is human safty factor here. So those latches are actually good for 3-6x their rating.
Where did you get this? If you could pass on the source, that would be very useful. There are a lot of threads here asking this same question, and nobody at Honda has been able to give us firm application numbers.

For those of you who ask why I'm interested: at one time, had two Britax Roundabouts in both Odys and two Britax Huskys in our 2003 (I think a pair of Regents in the 2002). With eight car seats, and frequent vacuuming, all can understand why LATCH is such a good feature for frequent removal / reinstall. Down to 4, now (we outgrew the Roundabouts).

OF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts