Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody had a chance to visually compare the 2002 Honda factory leather vs.the after market leather offered by Classic Soft Trim? Which looks nicer? Does the Classic look nicer?

I am having a hard time finding an EX with leather and am considering having the leather and heated seat option done by Classic Soft Trim. I understand that the seat heater control is mounted on the seat with the Classic, rather than the door, as in the factory version.

------------------
Rick Ives

·
Registered
200 Posts
We have the Classic Soft Trim leather installed in our '01 EX. So far we like it a lot and have had no problems or complaints. We have not used the heated seats much. You are correct in that the switch is mounted on the outer side of the seat base.

Unfortunatley, I haven't had the chance to see the '02 with leather yet to give you my comparison opinion. However, if the '02 has side airbags in the seat sides, you might want to check to see if Classic will even do the installation. I thought that I read that many of the aftermarket places don't want to do the installation because of liability reasons.

Good luck with your decision,

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also have the CST leather and it is very nice. Just make sure that go to an authorized installer who will do the job right.
An advantage over the factory leather is that you can pick your own color. They have done so many Odys that they have perfect matches, but you can also go with a slightly contrasting color if you wish.
That said, you may want to go with the factory because it is factory (and warranteed by Honda), I believe the leather seats have a more contoured shape than the cloth, and the caveat above about the side air bags.

------------------
00 Ody EX (17K)
90 Sable wagon (168K)
89 Cougar (205K!)
67 Sunbeam Alpine (??K)
52 Ford Flathead V8(72K)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of the factory seat heater switch? When I was at the Honda dealer Friday, I didn't know that seat heaters were an option so I didn't look for the switch. Now they don't have an EX-L. I'm considering intalling seat heaters in my Odyssey and I don't like the switch on the side of the seat. I put the switch on the center console of my truck.

------------------
2000 Odyssey EX-Nav
2001 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would go with the factory one. I have seen several Classic Soft equip Ody and I was not impressed (no offence to owners of had CST done). It could be the installation but the headrest had ridges and the arm rest was very poorly done on all of them.

I do like Katzkin though, they have many, many different colours and they have two tone options.

------------------
Check out our 01 GG EX and 98 Corolla LE, other 02 Odys, and various model cars at http://community.webshots.com/user/ddakrt

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've done extensive research of CST leather and Honda's leather. I looked at more than five of each. I even went to the CST shop (to see sunroof installations. I still have not decided weather to do it).I have an EX-L on order. I found the factory leather to fit much better, especially on the armrests and headrests. CST has sharper corners. CST does feel slightly more supple, but Honda's leather feels more durable. Also, Honda gives you TWO position heaters. CST vans I've seen have only "on/off" or no heat. On one CST van I looked at, they bent one of the armrests about 10 degrees down (both front seats were all the way unreclined). Like any other aftermarket work, it depends on the skill and care of the actual person doing the work. Classic Soft Trim was fine when it was the only option, but now I'd wait for the factory leather (which is what I've been doing since Thanksgiving). One last note, '02 odys have side air bags in the seats. CST says their covers are compatible but I'd rather trust Factory work their too.

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have an '02 EX-L and considered aftermarket leather. The heat switches are installed at the front end of the door map pockets. A little out of the way but not too bad. I prefer the factory leather. The doors are tufted and the cushions on the seat are better than the cloth. But factory is leather seating SURFACE only. Sides, back, etc are pleather. So, if you want full leather you'll have to go aftermarket.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'll just leave my 01 EX seat alone. I never like leather seats. It burn my butt in summer and freez my butt in winter. I don't think it work well in 115 degrees or higher of Arizona weather. I always see people use their towel on top of their leather seat in summer or when they have a long trip. I take cloth over leather anytime.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Odywan. Both Factory and aftermarket leather use Naugahyde on everything but the seating surfaces. Both CST and the factory do a good job of matching grain and color. You basically can't tell by looking where the leather stops and the vinyl begins. And because you can only tell by feel, that's why everybody pulls the naugahyde over our eyes.

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts