Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda's type II coolant from $25 to $30 for a gallon in all 3 dealerships here in Austin. A year ago it was $14.
OEM engine mounts over one thousand just for parts! There is no expensive electronics or metals going into manufacturing of these
I'm now buying same coolant at Acura for $10 less.
I mean how creative Honda's sales department should be to meet their fin. plans?
Same with a local dealership. Not that I vist them anymore, but their pricing change like crazy in the past two years.
PS flush - $146, Spark plugs - $269, Brake Fluid - $163, Oil Change - $96 (was $36 for at least 8 years before that).
We need price control! jk :)

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Lol...Honda is not doing well these days. Modern hondas such as the CRVs and odysseys are plagued with problems.
Before they couldn't get transmissions right but now they can't get motors AND transmissions put together properly! (oil dilution, VCM, etc)
So I guess they are jacking up prices on parts, I noticed the same in my area.

·
Registered
39 Posts
They are the same way up here in Massachusetts. They wanted 689.00 to replace the rear pads and rotors on my 07 Odyssey. I ended up buying my parts from RockAuto.com and used ACDelco ProRotors and Bendix Pads for around 175.00... It took me around 30 minutes to do the work....

·
Registered
487 Posts
Somebody in the top management wants to squeeze out maximum profit. Only thing they care about is, how to push it till the warranty period and make maximum money on parts. Quality of work at dealerships, varies. Good luck in talking with corporate to get anything done during warranty work. Trained to deny/ talk you out of it for any claims.

It seems the Japanese is also trying to cut corners by using cheap material and trying to sell cars at higher price with the "reliability" badge they have till now.

Read really bad reviews about new Honda models. :( Never expected this from Honda.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a long time trusted friend (34 years) who now sells new Kias but before that sold new hondas here in san diego.
He told me that for about half their new models, the dealership either broke even or even lost several hundred dollars selling the car. Conversely, the rest of them saw a profit of a couple hundred at the most.
Theyre giving us a lot of car for the money to stay competetive with toyota etc, leaving the dealers service and parts dept to be their only revenue source.
I dont think its as much greed as survival, its what the industry has transformed into.
If it bothers anyone theres lots of sources on the internet for discounts.
I never buy squat at dealers parts counters but tranny fluid is a fair deal. Otherwise rock auto ebay amazon etc with caveats.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've always noticed that Honda designs the exact car that would appeal to a mass of consumers, then goes and removes one or two features.

My favorite example is the TSX wagon, they made the perfect car, if it had a V6 option and/or a manual option, there would be a decent enthusiast market for them. I know, lots of people also say they want that but don't buy. But with wagons making a comeback, it could make sense to compete with Audi and GM, maybe not directly, but there's a growing market

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Theyre giving us a lot of car for the money to stay competetive with toyota etc, leaving the dealers service and parts dept to be their only revenue source.
This is true. The dealer makes money only after the sale, even though a large amount of the building floor space is devoted to the shiny showroom.

On another angle, I have noticed recently that my dealer is stocking fewer parts for my 2002. That's probably another strategy to save the cost of carrying inventory.

Dave

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
There is alot of misinformation going on in this thread:

OP, not Honda, your Local HONDA dealer, which is a completely separate entity from Honda Corporate.
Honda sells parts to dealers at the same cost. Parts have MSRP, some dealers will sell parts below it, some at msrp and some above.
There are plenty of online Honda dealers, that sell parts at 30% discount. Of course shipping will put a dent into savings.
I deal with my local Honda dealer alot, and talked to Parts dept manager. He now gives me decent % off msrp.

If you think Honda is ripping you off, look at Nissan. You can get a Honda axle for little over $200, nissan will cost you $500+.

Finally to the dude that thinks manual station wagon has a market in USA, get a grip. Manuals are dead. The only wagon that sells in USA is a Subaru.
Finally the statement, if only the car had option A and option B. This applies to every car out there.

·
Registered
409 Posts

OP, not Honda, your Local HONDA dealer, which is a completely separate entity from Honda Corporate.
Honda sells parts to dealers at the same cost. Parts have MSRP, some dealers will sell parts below it, some at msrp and some above.
There are plenty of online Honda dealers, that sell parts at 30% discount. Of course shipping will put a dent into savings.
I deal with my local Honda dealer alot, and talked to Parts dept manager. He now gives me decent % off msrp.

If you think Honda is ripping you off, look at Nissan. You can get a Honda axle for little over $200, nissan will cost you $500+.

Finally to the dude that thinks manual station wagon has a market in USA, get a grip. Manuals are dead. The only wagon that sells in USA is a Subaru.
Finally the statement, if only the car had option A and option B. This applies to every car out there.
I don't believe that it would have a huge market in the US, there is clear evidence against that. It's more that it's something I really want and know a group of people that also want it, and something I want to eventually build for myself.

Also, the idea that Subarus are the only wagons that sell here is not true. There are Mercedes wagons that are pretty widely sold here within their price range. Also, Audi clearly sees a market for them to bring over the RS6 Avant. Don't kid yourself, amongst enthusiasts there's definitely a market for manuals and wagons, no matter how small.

Also, Honda does make money off the parts they sell, it's simple business and a large part of the car sales structure. Most companies make money off the parts they sell for the car's already on the road

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I don't believe that it would have a huge market in the US, there is clear evidence against that. It's more that it's something I really want and know a group of people that also want it, and something I want to eventually build for myself.

Also, the idea that Subarus are the only wagons that sell here is not true. There are Mercedes wagons that are pretty widely sold here within their price range. Also, Audi clearly sees a market for them to bring over the RS6 Avant. Don't kid yourself, amongst enthusiasts there's definitely a market for manuals and wagons, no matter how small.
I am not kidding myself, the cars you list (I cant believe you would even bring it up) sell in hundreds, maybe a thousand tops.
Yes, of course there is enthusiast market, I pity the sucker that owns that Avant or MB wagon though, but then please don't complain about Honda prices
in the same sentence you are talking about Audi and RS specifically.
Subaru is the only company that consistently sells station wagons in USA in large enough numbers to matter.
Buick just announced that they are discontinuing production of their Opel based station wagon.

Also, Honda does make money off the parts they sell, it's simple business and a large part of the car sales structure. Most companies make money off the parts they sell for the car's already on the road
Of course Honda makes money of its parts. I never said it did not. I should have been more clear in saying the prices OP posted were overly inflated by the dealer, above
and beyond Honda pricing. Coolant, my last purchase from my dealer was at little less than $15 plus tax.
In general, Honda parts are in line with every other OE manufacturer of the same tier (ie Nissan, Toyota).
Honda has their annual parts price increase, but everything OP listed was Dealer's charging, what he thinks are extreme amounts for service.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Still drive my old 2001. OP, Were you serious, engine mounts cost $1000 each.? Before labor.
How many mounts are there on the new odysseys?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The engine mounts for VCM equipped Odysseys are electronically controlled active mounts. They are very expensive. Many people that muzzle their VCM install the much cheaper passive mounts. But you can’t do this if you have an active VCM system.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Of note, many dealers have a couple of levels of list price - high, higher, and highest. There's a Honda dealer online that offers discounts (I forget the name), use them as a guide. You can also ask the local dealer to come close to the online price.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Still drive my old 2001. OP, Were you serious, engine mounts cost $1000 each.? Before labor.
They're about $1000 for the full set at my dealer. There is one active mount, and the front is fluid filled. The remainder are just regular rubber mounts

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you park your Odyssey in a bad part of town, you may return to your car and find the engine sitting on blocks, that's how pricey these mounts are.

(humor)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

Maxud, with all due respect (you helped a lot on Accord and Ody forums and I appreciate this), the prices went up not only due to the greedy Honda dealers but also because of the Honda corporate is raising prices considerably in the past two years. I also, as you do, have a friendly part manager at the local Honda dealership. I know him for almost 10 years. Honda's MSRP prices went up. It is just a fact.
The coolant that you still can buy at $15...i dunno..expect price for it go up soon.... the 3 local Honda dealerships sell from $25 to $30 and it is not because they monopolize the market.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think for 3 active mounts (for EXL and up models) you will pay close to $1300 (if you price them on amazon because of easy return in case there is a problem).
for non-active I believe it will cost you $300+ for three.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was at the dealer the other day picking up power steerimg o-rings and saw a jug of Zerx sitting on the counter in the back. Lol type 2 must be too expensive for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts