Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda's type II coolant from $25 to $30 for a gallon in all 3 dealerships here in Austin. A year ago it was $14.
OEM engine mounts over one thousand just for parts! There is no expensive electronics or metals going into manufacturing of these
I'm now buying same coolant at Acura for $10 less.
I mean how creative Honda's sales department should be to meet their fin. plans?
Same with a local dealership. Not that I vist them anymore, but their pricing change like crazy in the past two years.
PS flush - $146, Spark plugs - $269, Brake Fluid - $163, Oil Change - $96 (was $36 for at least 8 years before that).
We need price control! jk :)

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Lol...Honda is not doing well these days. Modern hondas such as the CRVs and odysseys are plagued with problems.
Before they couldn't get transmissions right but now they can't get motors AND transmissions put together properly! (oil dilution, VCM, etc)
So I guess they are jacking up prices on parts, I noticed the same in my area.

·
Registered
37 Posts
They are the same way up here in Massachusetts. They wanted 689.00 to replace the rear pads and rotors on my 07 Odyssey. I ended up buying my parts from RockAuto.com and used ACDelco ProRotors and Bendix Pads for around 175.00... It took me around 30 minutes to do the work....

·
Registered
485 Posts
Somebody in the top management wants to squeeze out maximum profit. Only thing they care about is, how to push it till the warranty period and make maximum money on parts. Quality of work at dealerships, varies. Good luck in talking with corporate to get anything done during warranty work. Trained to deny/ talk you out of it for any claims.

It seems the Japanese is also trying to cut corners by using cheap material and trying to sell cars at higher price with the "reliability" badge they have till now.

Read really bad reviews about new Honda models. :( Never expected this from Honda.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a long time trusted friend (34 years) who now sells new Kias but before that sold new hondas here in san diego.
He told me that for about half their new models, the dealership either broke even or even lost several hundred dollars selling the car. Conversely, the rest of them saw a profit of a couple hundred at the most.
Theyre giving us a lot of car for the money to stay competetive with toyota etc, leaving the dealers service and parts dept to be their only revenue source.
I dont think its as much greed as survival, its what the industry has transformed into.
If it bothers anyone theres lots of sources on the internet for discounts.
I never buy squat at dealers parts counters but tranny fluid is a fair deal. Otherwise rock auto ebay amazon etc with caveats.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've always noticed that Honda designs the exact car that would appeal to a mass of consumers, then goes and removes one or two features.

My favorite example is the TSX wagon, they made the perfect car, if it had a V6 option and/or a manual option, there would be a decent enthusiast market for them. I know, lots of people also say they want that but don't buy. But with wagons making a comeback, it could make sense to compete with Audi and GM, maybe not directly, but there's a growing market

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Theyre giving us a lot of car for the money to stay competetive with toyota etc, leaving the dealers service and parts dept to be their only revenue source.
This is true. The dealer makes money only after the sale, even though a large amount of the building floor space is devoted to the shiny showroom.

On another angle, I have noticed recently that my dealer is stocking fewer parts for my 2002. That's probably another strategy to save the cost of carrying inventory.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts