Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't say I care for the looks of the Honda mud flaps but 3 days into my new van, I have noticed that the tires do tend to fling dirt/mud onto the front edge of the rear bumper facia.

Are the Honda mud flaps really effective in eliminating this problem?

------------------
Future Owner '02 MB EXL NAV
Current Owner '96 R Dodge GC ES
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Absolutely worth it and work!! 1 week after we got our '02 I could tell I was going to have to put them on because any tiny amount of water ended up coming off the rear tires and onto the quarter panels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
I'd forgotten that I'd put splashguards on our new Ody EX Navi (picked it up yesterday); they are a bit wierd to look at but you almost have to look for them to notice.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by blakeinhou:
Absolutely worth it and work!! 1 week after we got our '02 I could tell I was going to have to put them on because any tiny amount of water ended up coming off the rear tires and onto the quarter panels.</font>


------------------
Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback!

------------------
2002 MB EXL NAV
Cargo Tray, iVES, Zaino, Poron Reverse Sensors, Door Edge Guards, Fogs, & more ZAINO!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Have already ordered mine and will be here next Thursday. Definitely think that they are worth the investment. It will save your paint.

------------------
2002 Starlight Silver EXL-RES
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
I thought of doing that also. Would not be a problem painting but am leaning towards not doing it. The reason being is because I am thinking of painting the running skirts along the side of the van. I think if I do that and have painted flaps than it will look too monotone. I think there needs to be some accent. Anyways let us know what you decide and possibly post pics.

------------------
2002 Starlight Silver EXL-RES
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Just got my mud "flaps" and am now a bit confused. The rear of the guards look normal, but the front is not flat like I was expecting. Instead it just shows the other side of the guard (hard to describe, but if anyone here has them, you know what I'm talking about). Is this normal? I assumed that the fronts would be flat with a Honda 'H' or something like that? The instruction manual that came with it implies that that is all there is? Is the actual "flap" portion optional?
Confused in Austin ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by codePig:
Just got my mud "flaps" and am now a bit confused. The rear of the guards look normal, but the front is not flat like I was expecting. Instead it just shows the other side of the guard (hard to describe, but if anyone here has them, you know what I'm talking about). Is this normal? I assumed that the fronts would be flat with a Honda 'H' or something like that? The instruction manual that came with it implies that that is all there is? Is the actual "flap" portion optional?
Confused in Austin ??
</font>
For better or worse, it's normal. Most OEM mudguards I've seen are like that.



------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
596 Posts
Guess that's why they are called "guards" and not "flaps". One could install some "flaps" over the "guards" and it might make a pretty neat installation. I have considered doing it, but just have not gotten around to it.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
That seems pretty wacked ?!? Don't you guys have problems with mud and gunk collecting in those nooks and crannies of your "guards"?




I think I'll hold off installing mine until I figure out some way of making it look a bit more sano (luckily no rain in the forecast for a while yet).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by codePig:
That seems pretty wacked ?!? Don't you guys have problems with mud and gunk collecting in those nooks and crannies of your "guards"?
</font>
Rather the gunk collect in the guard than on the bumper and door panels........
-SJ

p.s.- no problems yet with gunk collecting, but it really hasn't rained here in CA at all. I imagine if mud gets trapped in there, I'll just hose it out.

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 10-31-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
596 Posts
Yeah, stuff gets in there, but, the ol' garden hose makes quick work of the problem. That's why I am considering getting some flap material and closing off the crevasses. Meanwhile, they keep a lot of the bad stuff off the paint.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,441 Posts
Hey, and maybe have a small motor in each wheel well to retract the flaps, in order to keep them clean and reduce drag at highway speed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
596 Posts
Yep, Sinbad, that would work. Some low-rider hydraulics to increase ground clearance would help, for the deep stuff.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top