Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Honda Odyssey 2000 ex used about a month ago. The check engine light came on after 2 weeks and has since gone on and off. Took it to autozone and the error reading was P0420 cotalyst system eff below threshold bank #1. I have been told this could be anywhere from a bad sensor, a possible hold in the muffler or a bad catalyst convertor. I have notice the light goes on and off like 3 days on and then like 3 off and such. I was thinking maybe it is related to the type of gas I am putting in it. I am using regular gas but I have people say Honda may need mid grade instead of regular. Can anyone advise if this may help solve the problem.

thanks,

·
Registered
96 Posts
In my experience, the grade of gas does not help a catalytic converter problem ... if it's not burning correctly, I'd start changing the spark plugs and air filter to try to get it running right. I did read a long time ago that on the V6 honda engine, it's recommended 91 octane, which is "mid grade" versus the 4 cylinders that 89 octane gas is required. This is more due to the power requirements. I'd certainly just use at least the 91 since it's the optimum requested and cross your fingers :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
The computer adjusts the timing for the grade of gas so it really doesn't matter.
I have been using regular 87 for many years and no catalytic codes set or drivability issues.
More likely you have a problem with the sensor or cat. The bad cat could also be the result of a clogged EGR tube
(a common problem with 2000 Odys).

·
Registered
539 Posts
Search this forum (or just use google) for that code and spark plug non-fouler. It has solved that code from occurring on my van for going on 1.5 years now.

And I also agree on the EGR passage cleaning which could be necessary. Search on that topic as well, plenty to read if you want to do it yourself and save some $.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts