Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I have Odyssey 2011, Kindly make me understand what parts you need to do Tune-up and how many hrs it takes. Dealership asking around C$ 1800 for parts and labor.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,176 Posts
Holy smokes! That's quite the tune up.

For that kind of money, I'd expect they are suggesting a timing belt service. What exactly did they tell you they'd do in the quote?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy smokes! That's quite the tune up.

For that kind of money, I'd expect they are suggesting a timing belt service. What exactly did they tell you they'd do in the quote?
It says" Tune up with spool valve replacement, Plugs, brake and steering system flush, includes taxes

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
mileage?
The 150,000 KMS / 105,000 mile service changes the plugs, when you do the timing belt and components.

spool valve is 100 CAD on rockauto, it should be changed if its leaking, as it will eventually destroy your alternator.

how handy are you?

plugs are 60 bux CAD for the ruthenium from rockauto.com

brake and steering fluid flush should be 150-200 if you pay someone.
I do it for the cost of the oil.

go elsewhere...

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
982 Posts
That is a hell of a quote for those items.

I just had the brake fluid flushed on my Toyota for $65 at my independent mechanic.

Power steering fluid exchange is a piece of cake. Use a turkey baster or lotion bottle squirt thing and empty the reservoir. Then pour new PS fluid in. I wouldn't be concerned letting an 8 year old do it... very little to screw up besides maybe spilling the fluid.

Plugs aren't difficult on this car. Maybe $70 for the plugs and an hour of labor at an independent mechanic?

The spool valve, as stated, does need to be changed if it's leaking, but shouldn't cost anywhere near what you're being quoted.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,176 Posts
It's odd that a dealership is quoting you a service called a "tune-up". That's not standard Honda terminology.

A Honda dealer service department (at least in my experience) quotes and prices services according to the alphanumeric codes used by the Maintenance Minder. For example, my friendly neighbourhood Honda dealer has never done an oil change for me - they've only ever done an "A1 service" or a "B1 service".

So I don't mean to be pedantic or a pain here, but have they given you any letter-number codes in that quote? It would help us figure out if you're getting messed around or not.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
C$1800 for that is too overpriced. Have you tried looking elsewhere for that "tune-up"? Why did they suggest it anyway?
They suggested a tune up with plugs, spool valve, brakes and steering and Transmission oil change for that price. There is no dealership in Fort McMurray, so I have to drive to Edmonton which is about 400kms

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mileage?
The 150,000 KMS / 105,000 mile service changes the plugs, when you do the timing belt and components.

spool valve is 100 CAD on rockauto, it should be changed if its leaking, as it will eventually destroy your alternator.

how handy are you?

plugs are 60 bux CAD for the ruthenium from rockauto.com

brake and steering fluid flush should be 150-200 if you pay someone.
I do it for the cost of the oil.

go elsewhere...
Thanks, any part number for the spool valve?

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,176 Posts
They suggested a tune up with plugs, spool valve, brakes and steering and Transmission oil change for that price. There is no dealership in Fort McMurray, so I have to drive to Edmonton which is about 400kms
An Edmonton dealership? OK - that explains a fair bit... :rolleyes:

Unless they are doing a timing belt service, you are probably capable of doing the vast majority of the work yourself. There is no good reason to pay someone to do spark plugs, ATF service or power steering service on a 2011 Odyssey if you are even a little bit handy - it's that easy. Replacing the brake fluid isn't really any different than any other vehicle, so availability of some other tools and experience determine how hard that one is. If you're not intimidated by the spool valve, the rest is easier than that.

Reactions: jiantao

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thanks, any part number for the spool valve?
Was looking at rockauto. you only need the top portion of the spool valve, not the whole assembly.

I prefer using intermotor / standard parts, but rockauto only sells the whole assembly.
Gates should be ok, there is 1 left, and never bought a WVE part before and don't know if they are any good.

alternatively you can replace the seal, there are other posts here on that, although its not recommended.

once you locate a replacement part, attached are the instructions for replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
982 Posts
I believe WVE is the same company as NTK, which is the same company as NGK (the OE supplier of spark plugs). I used a WVE ignition cylinder in my Toyota after finding out about this. They are an ignition parts company, but I suppose their spool valve should be okay.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'm wrong on the WVE, it looks like its the whole assembly as well.

ultra power is the only one on rockauto that sells the upper portion with gasket and plate.
no experience with their parts either!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Was looking at rockauto. you only need the top portion of the spool valve, not the whole assembly.

I prefer using intermotor / standard parts, but rockauto only sells the whole assembly.
Gates should be ok, there is 1 left, and never bought a WVE part before and don't know if they are any good.

alternatively you can replace the seal, there are other posts here on that, although its not recommended.

once you locate a replacement part, attached are the instructions for replacement.
Thank you

·
Registered
14,465 Posts
I believe you were asked how many km are on your van right now. This is critical information for us to give you advise.

·
Registered
14,465 Posts
Almost 89,000 miles for those following along at home. Because of the years, the timing belt, tensioner, water pump should probably be replaced. That is probably worth having done by someone experienced. The interval for the brake fluid is every 3 years regardless of miles. If the spool valve is leaking, it should fixed. It can leak onto the alternator and ruin that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts