Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I have Honda Odyssey 2013(160k miles) and keep getting message "Check Fuel Cap". I have changed the fuel cap and my mechanic did the trouble shooting change solenoid valve but still coming up. It is going on few weeks.

Also, last sunday all of sudden my car didn't start and I have to tow the car. Jump start didn't work. My mechanic changed the alternator. Now car starts but after few miles "check fuel cap" message comes up. Also, car runs but it is not as smooth as before.

What else we need to do to get rid of "Check fuel cap open" message
Also,
Is there any connection between Fuel cap issue and Alternator issue?

Thank you in advance..

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
not related, but if you have an evap issue or no pressure in the fuel system, there could be performance symptoms.
is the fuel cap oem? otherwise have the evap system leak checked (smoke tested) for rusted out leaking or damaged components.
the solenoid test is good but if there are lines or hoses damaged, this would cause an evap leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not related, but if you have an evap issue or no pressure in the fuel system, there could be performance symptoms.
is the fuel cap oem? otherwise have the evap system leak checked (smoke tested) for rusted out leaking or damaged components.
the solenoid test is good but if there are lines or hoses damaged, this would cause an evap leak.
Thank you for your prompt reply. I left the car with my mechanic to check evap and other leak. Hopefully, he will figure it out. Even my mechanic told me to drive the car with this message but I totally lost the confidence after I need to tow the car this sunday (somehow blaming open cap message). Need to fix this,

Thanks again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update as of June 24th, 2022 regarding keep getting "Check Fuel Cap" message: My mechanic did the smoke test, replace solenoid valve as well as replace fuel cap but still getting "check fuel cap" message. My mechanic couldn't do more and he recommends me to go to Honda dealer. I hate to go to Dealer they over charge everything.

Note: Since this message(open fuel cap) comes up I feel my van is not running as smooth as before,.(I am not sure how it is related)

Any idea or any suggestion to resolve this issue.... Thanks in advance..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts