Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda Odyssey 2019 EXL

Recently we bought a new Honda Odyssey EXL 2019, and it's now around one month old. However, today suddenly the audio turned off and display does not turn off after switching off the van. Later on, even more problems appeared as while taking into reverse mode the display doesn't show the rear view and climate controls buttons when clicked does not show up anything on the display unit. Does anyone know why this is happening?

If so, please tell us. TIA.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Display drain on battery

Call up your Honda Dealer and set an appointment. Write down for them a list of items that is happening. If your display is not turning off, try pressing the brightness on the side of the display 3 times it should dim down and then shut off the display until you start the ODY again. If the display is still staying on, either disconnect your battery or something I have not tried to see if it works in to unplug fuse 18 in Compartment A. The ODY is shipped to your dealer with this removed to prevent parasitic drains on the battery. I am not for certain if it will work but here is where it is and by the way it is called BACK UP:
a.png b.PNG

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just had the same issue happen to my 3 month old 2019 odyssey. Audio system stopped working and prompt “Check Tuner”. Display won’t turn off even after exiting odyssey and locking it. Going to try plugging in usb keyboard. So ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Update: I figured out that the keyboard ctrl+alt+del reboot fix works, but it depends on what kind of keyboard you use.

At first I tried a Microsoft wired usb keyboard and no response after plugging into Odyssey USB port (inside center storage box- Touring model).

Second, I tried a Logitech wireless usb keyboard which has a small usb receiver that actually worked! The infotainment system will prompt asking for keyboard layout. I just ignored that and hit ctrl+alt+del and it rebooted the system.

Everything works as before now, just might have to keep this keyboard in the vehicle if this happens again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This has occurred in my van multiple times. When I took it to the dealer the first time, the explained to me that the car is multiple computers, sometimes they get "hung up" and need to be restarted, they just disconnected the battery and it worked fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2019. In addition to that, prior to the screen staying on I had audio issues where the audio would totally cut off and the car would have to be restarted in order to fix the issue. This happened 3-4 times a week.

The dealership eventually replaced the entire radio/infotainment system. I have only had one small issue since it was replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Connecting the keyboard and pressing ctrl-alt-del did shutdown the system (I ignored the keyboard layout message). And it started back on when I started the car with all the functions back to normal. I guess I will have to keep a key board in the car now!

Looks like there is definitely software issue. Only different thing when the system started having problem was when we were in area without network and we had Spotify playing through Apple Car Play. May not be related.

Hopefully this is a software issue that Honda can figure out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update: I figured out that the keyboard ctrl+alt+del reboot fix works, but it depends on what kind of keyboard you use.

At first I tried a Microsoft wired usb keyboard and no response after plugging into Odyssey USB port (inside center storage box- Touring model).

Second, I tried a Logitech wireless usb keyboard which has a small usb receiver that actually worked! The infotainment system will prompt asking for keyboard layout. I just ignored that and hit ctrl+alt+del and it rebooted the system.

Everything works as before now, just might have to keep this keyboard in the vehicle if this happens again.

Confirmed works for the screens that don't shut off and when your audio doesn't work (audio device not connected or audio turned off messages). Our 2019 ody just had this start happening. I read this, surprisingly one of the only mentions of this sort of issue, and grabbed my gaming keyboard (I-500 mechanical keyboard I tested as a product off Amazon once) and tried. Ignore the keyboard layout message that pops up. The right-side CTRL+ALT does not affect it, but the left-side CTRL+ALT does. Use the left CTRL+ALT and hit DEL and the system should shut down. Turn on the vehicle and you will watch it boot up again, with sound and it will turn off. Definitely better than disconnecting the battery, but I hope Honda gets this fixed soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same issue. I was driving with my iphone connected playing a podcast when all sound stopped. I couldn't get it to play FM or XM radio and the Nav stopped working. I got to my destination and shut the car off, and the display stayed on. I located the correct fuse under the drivers side of the dash and was able to restart the unit, which solved the problem. I took it to the dealer, and they were not any help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2019 Honda Odyssey EXL Nav. It does seem to be an issue with using Apple Play. The other times it has happened, I’ve been able to turn off the car and it resets itself. This time, the display is not turning off even with the car off. The system update won’t work and says the car is in motion, even when it is completely turned off. The vehicle button under settings won’t work and says it doesn’t work when the car is off. So, one thinks the car is in motion and the other says it’s off!

This is very frustrating especially when we purchased a new car so we wouldn’t have car trouble!

So far, Honda is not helping. I called the dealership we purchased the car from 30 some minutes prior to their closing and had to leave a message that they stated would be returned during their business hours, even though I called during their business hours. I called Honda Roadside and they will only help if/when the car completely dies due to the display not turning off and draining the battery. They had no idea how to help me turn the display off besides telling me to drive to a dealership.

Waiting for my wireless keyboard to charge so I can try the truck mentioned above. Never had any of the issues in my 2006 EXL! (Also frustrates to learn the middle seats no longer fold flat - feel like some of the “upgrades” are actually the opposite.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just having the same issue. this happened while I was using Android Auto, trying to change the music. This infotainment system is so buggy. glad that this is not the driverless.

·
Registered
1 Posts
had a similar issue with my 18 - plug a USB keyboard into the center console and press ctrl+alt+del to reboot infotainment
That worked! Thank you so much for the tip. I was about to disconnect the battery before I read your post. You rule.

·
Registered
14 Posts
And here’s another victim! Wife called me when she couldn’t stop the entertainment system when taking kids to karate an hour ago. I did a quick google, found this thread, grabbed a keyboard and drove my Subaru to the Dojo.

Good news is that it worked.

Very inconvenient and disappointing, but I have to laugh. All these new computerized cars, acting like PCs. My home built PC is a beast, but it still has glitches.

P.S. Forgot to say Thanks!
P.S.S. 2019 Elite, just picked it up last Tuesday, but the car was built last year. Performed an update to the Entertainment System last Wednesday or Thursday.

·
Registered
14 Posts
bumping this to see if there's a perm solution from Honda, yet. Found this thread from obviously, having this problem. After a couple weeks, it's doing it again. My symptoms are; while listening to CarPlay, music suddenly stops or chirps like a short or something. Then the music dies. GPS still works, just can't connect phone and Navi doesn't shut off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
had a similar issue with my 18 - plug a USB keyboard into the center console and press ctrl+alt+del to reboot infotainment
That was a good tip, indeed! I faced this problem a couple of days ago (no usb / Bluetooth device was recognized, battery drained as the panel didn't turn off, and rear view camera didn't function). I read this post and went to Walmart to get a wired keyboard. Was surprised to see that the reset resolved all those issues when the software rebooted. Thanks for sharing this. Have to report my experience to Honda and hope they provide a software update.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We ran into the same issue after only 1 month of ownership.
2019 touring.
Plugged a USB keyboard and rebooted.

Super annoying as this happened during a road trip and then the car battery ran out after a day in the commuter car park.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Guess we now have to find room to carry a keyboard along with the booster cables many of us carry already.

Anybody else finding all of this as ridiculous as I do.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts