Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Keyboard: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I5SW8MC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great for us, entering data as well as resetting.

It is a shame USB ports are so expensive that Honda could only afford to put one in a $40K plus car. Oh, and they put in a dumb one that doesn't support hubs just to make it suck more.
Thank you! I will probably get this and stick it in the car for when this issue happens again. Ugh, why does a $40k+ car do this! I guess I could buy 40 plus phones that have issues 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
3 Posts
A new update was pushed out but I don't see anything explicitly stating this issue is fixed. Is it still happening to your vehicles after this update is applied?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2019 Odyssey, touring model, routinely randomly turns off the "infotainment screen". No backup camera, clock, GPS, etc. If I have the radio turned on, it will play but if it is off, I cannot turn it on. I have taken it to the dealership to be reset and now am waiting on a new system to be approved/installed. I was told the systems are on backorder for at least six week. It also might not fix the issue as the technician said it was a bad chip somewhere in the system and there was no guarantee the new one wouldn't have the same kind of chip. It has always come back on anywhere from 5-15 minutes but is very inconvenient and not trustworthy. All the Honda products I have owned before have been outstanding but this sure puts a blemish on how I feel right now. How many malfunctioning products does a recall need?

·
Registered
2 Posts
To anyone with this issue: Can you recall if you used Honda's remote start via keyfob or app for the driving session that the infotainment froze? From my anecdotal experience, I've only had this issue when remote starting the car and driving in combination of using Apple Carplay. I haven't experienced this issue in a while - I also no longer remote start the car and drive off. If i want to warm up/cool down the car due to weather I will start the car - turn off the car upon entering and restart the car before driving

·
Registered
793 Posts
This just happened to me for the first time exactly as the original poster described. I hadn't known about the Ctrl-Alt-Del hack so ... just to clarify on other people's comments:

• Problem does not require Nav or RES. (I have a 2019 EX-L without Nav/RES.)
  • My car is 9 months old.
  • To tkoo: I've never used remote start so that's a red herring.
  • To shsheikh: I installed the latest software update a week ago so that doesn't fix the problem.
  • To DJVAN: Dealer pulled BACKUP fuse. Didn't fix the problem. He finally disconnected the battery.
  • To sundeepshakya: I was using ApplePlay with Waze and a podcast app (Overcast), the latter with cellular turned off so I doubt it had anything to do with networking (also, because Waze continued working). I've driven with this same configuration for 14K miles with no problems up to now. PS: I am using iOS 12 rather than 13 because 13.1 is reported to be beta quality. I did switch from using an iPhone 5S to iPhone SE but that was a few weeks ago.
I stopped by a dealer as I mentioned above. The dealer didn't write up a service order. Didn't take my name or any notes. I asked if I should report it to Honda and he said "No because it's a known problem." Perhaps he thought he was doing me a favor by solving my problem as quickly as possible. But I figure I should report it to get it on the record just in case.

So I emailed Honda. Honda responded with a case # and told me to call Honda In-Car Technology Support Group. I called, got voicemail, and left a message asking for a call back.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Spoke to Honda In-Car Technology Support Group (888-528-7876). Representative said this is not a known problem. I mentioned that it certainly was known to the dealer. Representative clarified that "not a known problem" meant either that 1) not enough incidents had been reported or 2) no service bulletin existed.

I stopped by a dealer as I mentioned above. The dealer didn't write up a service order. Didn't take my name or any notes. I asked if I should report it to Honda and he said "No because it's a known problem." Perhaps he thought he was doing me a favor by solving my problem as quickly as possible. But I figure I should report it to get it on the record just in case.

So I emailed Honda. Honda responded with a case # and told me to call Honda In-Car Technology Support Group. I called, got voicemail, and left a message asking for a call back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Experienced the same basic problem today on my '18 EX-L Nav/RES 15.5K miles, wanted to share it as well as the fix that worked for me so hopefully that helps others. Driving and Carplay audio cutout, no audio (FM, phone, etc...), car off and door open and display would not turn off, could not update the software as it thought the vehicle was in motion (it was parked with the ignition off and the door open. Anyways, after "googling" and trying a few fixes what finally worked was removing fuse 37 behind the steering wheel above the pedals, it's awkward to get to but doable. On the fuse map located near the driver footrest it showed fuse 37 as for the "radio". An important tip, the fuse removal tool which is plastic tweezers just the right size is located in a fuse box under the hood....yep, under the hood. Open the hood and the fuse box is on the passenger side, take off the lid and the tweezers are attached to a clip on the inside of the lid. This may be common knowledge to some folks but it surprised me. Pulling out the fuse and waiting for a minute to put it back in reset the head unit and everything works again. I did have to push the power/volume knob for a couple seconds to reset the anti-theft after replacing the fuse, instructions to do this showed on the screen. I've had freezing issues with this car/display but probably not for a year so I had thought I was in the clear, I'm hoping this doesn't become a repeating issue. The previous freezing display was fixed by turning the ignition off and opening the door to turn off the display. Anyways, removing fuse 37 is something to try if disconnecting the battery or using an external keyboard (crazy to me that this works) aren't available to you.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Experienced the same basic problem today on my '18 EX-L Nav/RES 15.5K miles, wanted to share it as well as the fix that worked for me so hopefully that helps others. Driving and Carplay audio cutout, no audio (FM, phone, etc...), car off and door open and display would not turn off, could not update the software as it thought the vehicle was in motion (it was parked with the ignition off and the door open. Anyways, after "googling" and trying a few fixes what finally worked was removing fuse 37 behind the steering wheel above the pedals, it's awkward to get to but doable. On the fuse map located near the driver footrest it showed fuse 37 as for the "radio". An important tip, the fuse removal tool which is plastic tweezers just the right size is located in a fuse box under the hood....yep, under the hood. Open the hood and the fuse box is on the passenger side, take off the lid and the tweezers are attached to a clip on the inside of the lid. This may be common knowledge to some folks but it surprised me. Pulling out the fuse and waiting for a minute to put it back in reset the head unit and everything works again. I did have to push the power/volume knob for a couple seconds to reset the anti-theft after replacing the fuse, instructions to do this showed on the screen. I've had freezing issues with this car/display but probably not for a year so I had thought I was in the clear, I'm hoping this doesn't become a repeating issue. The previous freezing display was fixed by turning the ignition off and opening the door to turn off the display. Anyways, removing fuse 37 is something to try if disconnecting the battery or using an external keyboard (crazy to me that this works) aren't available to you.
After removing the fuse 37 and waiting for a minute, did the radio loose it settings as far as the AM/FM settings and also SiriusXM settings? I Have not had any luck and deleting the settings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After removing the fuse 37 and waiting for a minute, did the radio loose it settings as far as the AM/FM settings and also SiriusXM settings? I Have not had any luck and deleting the settings.
Doesn’t appear to have reset the radio presets, I primarily use Apple CarPlay so had to check. Not sure what the FM presets were before but they don’t appear to be defaults now. Sirius isn’t active so no presets.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Silly but I just carry a wireless Logitech keyboard in the glove box since it’s plenty of space. ctrl alt del reset has worked every time to reboot the always on screen.

Pulling that fuse 37 trick is a good backup method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honda Odyssey 2019 EXL

Recently we bought a new Honda Odyssey EXL 2019, and it's now around one month old. However, today suddenly the audio turned off and display does not turn off after switching off the van. Later on, even more problems appeared as while taking into reverse mode the display doesn't show the rear view and climate controls buttons when clicked does not show up anything on the display unit. Does anyone know why this is happening?

If so, please tell us. TIA.
I fixed the same problem unplugging the 37 fuse on the driver dash (15 A ) use the plastic pliers from the fuse box on the motor ( passenger side)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife experienced the same issue. We had not found this thread so I merely unhooked the positive terminal off the battery, primarily because we didn't want the display to be on all night. After reading all this "re-boot" stuff I went out and reconnected the battery, Worked like a charm when we fired it up. Had to press the power button on the radio display for two seconds (as instructed by the display) and everything is fine. Call this the system-wide hard boot, like when you press the power button long enough to shut everything down on your laptop. I showed my wife how to disconnect the battery and we will keep a ratchet with a 10 mm socket in the car for this purpose going forward. Never thought a 2019 ODY would have anything in common with my 66 Corvair but I sometimes have to unhook the battery in that car as well. First new Honda since 91. A little skeptical at the moment. We shall see ...

·
Registered
304 Posts
My wife experienced the same issue. We had not found this thread so I merely unhooked the positive terminal off the battery, primarily because we didn't want the display to be on all night. After reading all this "re-boot" stuff I went out and reconnected the battery, Worked like a charm when we fired it up. Had to press the power button on the radio display for two seconds (as instructed by the display) and everything is fine. Call this the system-wide hard boot, like when you press the power button long enough to shut everything down on your laptop. I showed my wife how to disconnect the battery and we will keep a ratchet with a 10 mm socket in the car for this purpose going forward. Never thought a 2019 ODY would have anything in common with my 66 Corvair but I sometimes have to unhook the battery in that car as well. First new Honda since 91. A little skeptical at the moment. We shall see ...
It's not recommended to pull the positive side of the battery. You should always remove the negative side, and the problem with that is the negative is under some of the plastic from incoming fresh air to the air filter box. Why not just pull the F37 Fuse?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts