Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

completely new to this car or matter of fact to minivan category. We want honda odyssey for sure. My question is , if it is worth to buy brand new car roughly about $35k vs a used certified honda with about 30k miles for about $25k. I am seeing 2016 in that price range. Also between 2019 vs 2020 what is the difference?

Thank you

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tamgirl- Just went though this process for myself and someone else. I would recommend if you are looking to have the minivan for some time to go new (or a ‘19 leftover which now is a good time to buy) versus used. There are many newer safety features in the fifth generation Odyssey’s and quite honestly the $ spread between used & new is just not big enough to justify getting used if you can afford new. If you live close to MA, pm me and I can give you more details on differences even between 19’s and ‘20’s. We are Mercedes Benz owners and we are pleasantly surprised how nice these drive and are appointed. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick reply, we live in Michigan. The difference I see between used and new ones about 10k is it worth to go for newer car? Could you PM me difference between 19's and 20's . Appreciate it much,

thank you,

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought a new 2016 Elite and traded in for a 2019 Elite. I would look for a 2019 over a 2020 for the best cost savings and I would suggest the newer car over a 2016, having driven both.

I get better mileage on the new one — the 10 speed transmission helps with that — and I like the infotainment better. It also is easier to move the magic slide seats in the second row with car seats etc.

Hi All,

completely new to this car or matter of fact to minivan category. We want honda odyssey for sure. My question is , if it is worth to buy brand new car roughly about $35k vs a used certified honda with about 30k miles for about $25k. I am seeing 2016 in that price range. Also between 2019 vs 2020 what is the difference?

Thank you

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank you for the quick reply, we live in Michigan. The difference I see between used and new ones about 10k is it worth to go for newer car? Could you PM me difference between 19's and 20's . Appreciate it much,

thank you,
tamilgirl, We are in SE Michigan and just bought our 2020 EXL couple weeks back. We did test drive the 2019's too, but the 10 speed AT on 2020 was enough to sway us towards 2020 as opposed to 2019. Besides that there is no major upgrade between the two years. If you are planning for a Touring or an Elite trim, the 2019's have the same transmission too. So not sure if there is anything else that has significantly changed between those years on that trim.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tamilgirl, We are in SE Michigan and just bought our 2020 EXL couple weeks back. We did test drive the 2019's too, but the 10 speed AT on 2020 was enough to sway us towards 2020 as opposed to 2019. Besides that there is no major upgrade between the two years. If you are planning for a Touring or an Elite trim, the 2019's have the same transmission too. So not sure if there is anything else that has significantly changed between those years on that trim.
Vaibhav, do you mind letting me know how much you paid for exl, even we are interested in exl model. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a new 2016 Elite and traded in for a 2019 Elite. I would look for a 2019 over a 2020 for the best cost savings and I would suggest the newer car over a 2016, having driven both.

I get better mileage on the new one — the 10 speed transmission helps with that — and I like the infotainment better. It also is easier to move the magic slide seats in the second row with car seats etc.
Thank you for the reply, is there any reason why I should go for 2020 over 2019 ? Good suggestion on mileage for newer cars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Vaibhav, do you mind letting me know how much you paid for exl, even we are interested in exl model. Thanks for the reply
Here are my numbers.
Make sure you follow that thread. I see prices lower than what I paid so difinitely use the data here to bargain further.

If you need direct contacts with the sales rep etc then PM me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I never buy a new car. The last two new to me cars have been almost new. Most recently we bought an 18 Elite with 15k miles on it. Still have 18 months / 15k miles on bumper to bumper warranty and the price was significantly less.

We knew we wanted an Eite, and you dont see many of those with low miles and just a year old so we had to wait but it timed out just right.

Our last was a 15 Ford Flex that had 12K miles on it and was just 12 months old. About 12k under sticker on that one.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
We looked at used 2017-2019 vans of all makes and models, but decided to spend a little more to get the 2020 EX-L. Difference was only around $4,000-5,000 for us, not $10,000.
As others have said, safety features of 2018+ are a very big improvement over the previous generation.
The only difference between 2018-2019 EX-L and the 2020 EX-L is that the 2020 EX-L has the 10 speed transmission that was only available on Elite in older years. It now comes with auto engine off on green lights.
We bought ours about 10 days ago and love it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just get the 2019 Touring as it’s the same transmission as the 2020 and you’d get a steeper discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just get the 2019 Touring as it’s the same transmission as the 2020 and you’d get a steeper discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just for the record, a 2019 Touring is still thousands more than a 2020 EXL with Res/Nav. Even at the steepest discounts.

I'd get a 2020 just for the 10 speed transmission alone (unless you wanted Touring or Elite anyway, then a 2019 is fine, but its not going to save you money if you just wanted EXL.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just for the record, a 2019 Touring is still thousands more than a 2020 EXL with Res/Nav. Even at the steepest discounts.

I'd get a 2020 just for the 10 speed transmission alone (unless you wanted Touring or Elite anyway, then a 2019 is fine, but its not going to save you money if you just wanted EXL.)
Yes def dont have budget for touring, want to stick with in 35k for new one or 25k if it is used one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We looked at used 2017-2019 vans of all makes and models, but decided to spend a little more to get the 2020 EX-L. Difference was only around $4,000-5,000 for us, not $10,000.
As others have said, safety features of 2018+ are a very big improvement over the previous generation.
The only difference between 2018-2019 EX-L and the 2020 EX-L is that the 2020 EX-L has the 10 speed transmission that was only available on Elite in older years. It now comes with auto engine off on green lights.
We bought ours about 10 days ago and love it!
Thank you for the reply, do you mind saying how much you paid for yours ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are my numbers.
Make sure you follow that thread. I see prices lower than what I paid so difinitely use the data here to bargain further.

If you need direct contacts with the sales rep etc then PM me.
Thank you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thank you for the reply

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just a suggestion, go for the 10 speed transmission and in your budget that would probably be a 2020 model. There are numerous complaints on this forum and elsewhere about the 9 speed and now Honda has dropped it on the Odyssey. If Honda doesn't want to deal with it anymore why should you. For 2019 the 10 speed was only on the Touring and Elite so it may not be in your budget (if it was I would be doing some serious background checks on it). Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,

Thank you
Last 4 cars have all been 1 to 2 years old with 20-23,000 miles and cost $25k, then drive for 10 years. DON'T BUY NEW! Still driving my 2006 Odyssey purchased in 2008 since I don't put a lot of miles on each car (have 2). 72,000 on it now - plan to keep it forever.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts