Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing the same question shows up every few weeks, I volunteer my time and effort to pursue a solution to this problem.

I have tried to resolve this problem for my 2001 Odyssey EX with American Honda in the last three months but without a satisfactory answer. If your Odyssey (1999, 2000, 2001) suffers from the same problem without a resolution, please email me at [email protected] Please put subject: Honda Odyssey Transmission Grinding Sound.

If anyone knows a fix please email me your experience and I will really appreciate your information.

Problem: Transmission dieseling noise

Symptom: A grinding/pinging/dieseling noise from the driver’s side when accelerating gently around 50-60 mph (~1500 rpm).

Formula to reproduce the problem: ~1500 rpm + ~55 mph + gentle acceleration.

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jjw91006:
Seeing the same question shows up every few weeks, I volunteer my time and effort to pursue a solution to this problem. I have tried to resolve this problem for my 2001 Odyssey EX with American Honda in the last three months but without a satisfactory answer. If your Odyssey (1999, 2000, 2001) suffers from the same problem without a resolution, please email me at [email protected] Please put subject: Honda Odyssey Transmission Grinding Sound.

If anyone knows a fix please email me your experience and I will really appreciate your information.

Problem: Transmission dieseling noise

Symptom: A grinding/pinging/dieseling noise from the driver’s side when accelerating gently around 50-60 mph (~1500 rpm).

Formula to reproduce the problem: ~1500 rpm + ~55 mph + gentle acceleration.

</font>
It's times like this that I really wish I could meet the individual and hear first hand what they're complaining about. You may well have a problem with your Ody, I/we simply can't tell that from the other side of the Internet.

All I can tell you is that my '01 LX will make a "barely" audible rumble under the conditions you describe. You have to be at very light throttle applications in the 50 to 55 mph range. The transmission will be in top gear (4th in my case) and the torque converter will be locked up. Engine rpm will be at or very near 1500.

There is no way I'd characterize this sound as a "grinding", "pinging", or "dieseling" type of noise. All I'm feeling is the power pulses from the engine with it under load at a relatively low rpm. This is "normal" and there's nothing anyone can do about it. As pointed out in a number of descriptions of this phenomenon, if you accelerate any harder, the torque converter releases, engine rpm goes up, and the symptom doesn't occure. If you don't ease up off the throttle enough for the torque converter to lock in the appropriate speed range, same result.

Having said that, you may very well be talking about some noise that's completely different from what I'm describing. As I said before, it's impossible to judge that over the Internet. But, if your complaint is basically the same noise I'm hearing in my van, I don't think you've got a valid concern and I sereously doubt the dealer is going to be able to satisfy you on this one.

I know it's frustrating when you firmly believe you've got a problem and all you get back is, "It's normal!" That's also why I truely wish we could get together and compare notes. It would be interesting to hear what your noise sounds like and if it's the same as what I hear in my Odyssey, let you know that your's isn't the only one.

I wish you all the best on this one.

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Registered
138 Posts
There have been repeated posts on this issue and you need to look back at them. In fact, there is one person in this club that has received a new ECM (electronic control module) and has worked with Honda Customer Service on this. They call him to see if the fix is still working. You need to search the previous threads to get the info you need.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2000 Ody LX is on its third transmission. All three have had the shift cable/torque converter noise that you describe. Time will tell whether I'm destined for a fourth tranny. Tranny #2 only lasted four months. I was told by the service technician that only a small percentage of Ody's are making this noise. I was also told the the noise and the reasons for tranny replacement were independent of one another. (I'm skeptical.) Yes, this problem has been well documented in this forum and on Edmunds. Good luck with yours. BTW, I've heard that the new 5-speed transmission in the 2002 Ody does not exhibit this noise.

Cauchy

P.S. I've heard that a new ECM unit can limit the noise, but it changes shift points and significantly reduces gas mileage. Be careful.

[This message has been edited by cauchy (edited 12-20-2001).]

·
Registered
131 Posts
Anytime you lug an engine you will hear these types of noises. If the torque converter is "locked-up" you will have about as direct connection between the engine/trans as possible with an automatic tranny.

My 2000 Chevy pick-up made what I called a "lugging" noise at low RPM in high gear. I complained and the dealer "flashed" the ECM for the tranny which raised the shift points, but eliminated the unwanted noise.

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
129 Posts
Intrepid175,

You are right that it's difficult to describe some problems via the Internet. It's hard enough to do it when a service tech is sitting right next to you!!!

However, I think the transmission grinding/diesling (whatever) has been described enough to know that this is the same problem many people are having.

This is an automatic transmission, which should not have been programmed to "lug" the engine. No other automatic transmissioned car I've ever ridden in has done this.

I hope that is is just a slightly bothersome noise, and nothing else. The sound doesn't really bother me much. It's the implication of what could be causing the sound, and the end result, that worries me.

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX - Silver
2001 Civic EX Sedan - Silver
1990 Mustang LX Coupe - Titanium
http://fiveoh.homestead.com/main.html

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SoFlaOdyssey:
Intrepid175,

However, I think the transmission grinding/diesling (whatever) has been described enough to know that this is the same problem many people are having.
</font>

Agreed, it's just that I'm curious as to whether or not it's a different sound from what I'm getting. If it is, I have no doubt that the problem needs to be looked into. I'm convinced that what I described in my Ody is perfectly normal and it happens under such a limited set of circumstances that, even if it bothered me, it wouldn't be a significant problem.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> This is an automatic transmission, which should not have been programmed to "lug" the engine. No other automatic transmissioned car I've ever ridden in has done this.</font>

I agree with that although I've driven Chrysler and Ford products (w/lock up torque converters) that have exhibited the same sound to some extent as my Ody does under similar conditions. The problem is that auto makers are motivated to maximize fuel economy and one way to do that is to program the transmission to get to a higher gear as early as possible. I've not found this to be a problem on my Ody and 90% of the time, I drive right through the speed range we've been discussing before the torque converter locks up so it's a non issue. When in traffic or otherwise driving easily enough for the symptoms to present themselves, I'm not pushing the engine hard enough to be concerned about "lugging". It's just that the rpm's are low enough that I'm "aware" of the power pulses from the engine as the individual cylinders fire off. As I said, in my case, it's perfectly normal and not something that's harmfull.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I hope that it is just a slightly bothersome noise, and nothing else. The sound doesn't really bother me much. It's the implication of what could be causing the sound, and the end result, that worries me.
</font>
Amen to that. As I said before, I think it would be interesting to get together with someone who's strongly concerned about this and do a comparison check between their Ody and mine. I'm just curious to know if we're even talking about the same thing.

FWIW,

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 12-22-2001).]

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'd love to catch up to you and compare OdySounds! :)

Let me know if you are ever headed to South Florida in your Odyssey! Actually, I have a friend in McAllen, TX that I may be visiting int he future, but chances are the Ody won't be making that drive (flight)....

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX - Silver
2001 Civic EX Sedan - Silver
1990 Mustang LX Coupe - Titanium
http://fiveoh.homestead.com/main.html

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I took delivery just before Christmas of a 2002 LX, and have noted two distinctly different noises that I will try to describe:

At 50-55 mph, with the RPM at 1500-1600 (top gear, locked up), if I lightly tip into the throttle I hear a fairly low pitched resonance or rumble. If I tip in too much it will unlock and/or downshift, and the resonance goes away. I guess it could be construed to sound like a diesel truck accelerating, but it is definately low pitched.

Under moderate to heavy acceleration, I hear a higher pitched ringing or pinging/rattling sound. It sometimes almost sounds like a whistle, but it's more metallic. Best I can do is to say it sounds like a 3/8" bolt with several loose washers on it vibrating at a fairly high fequency.

Dealer says both sounds are a characteristic of the car. He said the rumble/resonance is from the air intake. At that RPM, it sets up a resonance, and right now Honda doesn't have a fix. The ringing/rattling sound, he said, is from the transmission. He had replaced a transmission for a customer because of the sound, but Honda gave him a hard time about it because Honda considers it just a characteristic that won't hurt anything. The replacement tranny made the same noise, too.

Any other perspectives on this?

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by accordian:
Also, I would really like to compare OddySounds too. Lots of us in Houston area. Maybe we can arrange something. Our comparisions might help others who read these boards.</font>
Hi Accordian,

If you folks figure out a date and time, I'd be interesting in participating. I'm in Texas City which may or may not be a drive for me, it depends on "where" in Houston you decide to meet. I work a rotating shift schedule so it will probably be the luck of the draw as to whether or not I can attend but if we can work it out, count me in.

Besides, it would be nice to meet some of you folks and put faces to the names for a change. There has been talk, in the past, of an Ody get together. Maybe we can combine the two.

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Steve,

Hopefully we can work something out. Your van is just like mine except the year. Some of the modifications I want to do you already have done, such as the CD player and subwoofer. Maybe I can check out those sounds, too. Texas City is half way to Galveston from here, so maybe the idea Jim F. had about a gathering at Moody Gardens would work (check the forum for new members to introduce themselves, he suggested it there).

David R.

·
Registered
479 Posts
A good friend of mine just bought a 2002 EX-L, and so I decided to test the "rumbling" noise in his 2002 compared to my 2001 EX. They are absolutely identical, and achieved exactly the same way (as described above by accordian). I have little doubt that this noise is "characteristic" of this vehicle and not harmful. Of course, I can't speak for the noises others have heard and whether they may be more serious.

Incidentally, my 2001 Pathfinder LE makes a similar noise under similar circumstances...however it doesn't resonate quite as loud.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally got a new ECU two days ago. After about 100 miles driving at different speeds in two days, I think the grinding sound problem is fixed. In fact the new driving feeling is very good. The reason that I have not posted the result is because a new issue raised about gas milage that I am still experimenting. The initial observation does not indicate degrading MPG. Here is a helpful post from http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/hondaodysseyownersclub MSG # 6352,

"Re: Odyssey Transmission Grinding Sound huabow
12/21/01 7:47 pm

Hi,

Jim posted a part number for a new ECU (electric control unit?) 37820-P8F-406. I take that number to my dealership and show them all the message from this club about two months ago. After they test drive my car, they just told me that they will order a new ECU too for my car.

Yesterday I finally got the new ECU and they installed it on my car with my 15000 maintance, it took less than half a day. However, the new ECU they put in with a different number. The following is what they put down on my receipt:

PGM-FI Engine/Powertrain control module (ECM/PCM)
Part: 37820-P8F-A62

I drove it last night and also today to work and back to home, the sound seems go away. One thing I can feel is that it delays the timing of shifting to a higher gear. I think I still hear that sound one time but it's much, much quieter (you can hardly hear it, actually). And that sound last much, much shorter than it use to be.

I am the one who come up that testing formula (~1500 rpm + ~55 mph + gentle acceleration). With this new module, this formula doesn't exist -- at least so far.

I will continue test out my car to see if this really solve the problem. Everyone should also take this part number try to convince your dealership that it's an abnormal voice.

Stay tuned."

Thanks to the information from huabow, so
unlucky people like us could have clues to pursue a resolution.

Happy New Year!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moonatics:
There have been repeated posts on this issue and you need to look back at them. In fact, there is one person in this club that has received a new ECM (electronic control module) and has worked with Honda Customer Service on this. They call him to see if the fix is still working. You need to search the previous threads to get the info you need.

</font>
Another poster on the Edmunds forum worked with Honda on a prototype "fix" that essentially added some type of weights to the shift cable and also reduced the noise significanty.

My van also exhibits this exact same problem. It sure seems like some type of resonance to me, and weights and/or new shift points would be an appropriate fix. Still, the noise is hardly noticable. In fact, it is either getting better over time or I'm just getting used to it. Either way, it is a very minor annoyance, and I don't consider it a reliability issue.

I did ask the my Honda dealer to investigate it. I brought them a small ream of printouts of posts on the problem and various solutions. Their response was twofold. 1) Could not reproduce problem and 2) Noise is normal for this vehicle. That didn't give me much confidence in their interest at fixing it. I mean, how can it be a normal noise if they couldn't even reproduce it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I brought in the vehicle at 8:30 am and picked it up around 4:00 pm. Besides ECU replacement there was a follow-up diagnosis. The current MPG is about 18.4 in city.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had the tranny rumble problem and reported to Honda service here in Vancouver about 2 months ago.

The service record says 3 technicians diagnosed the problem as a defective transmission (just the tranny, not the torque converter) and that a replacement should be ordered.

It took two months to order/ship in a new one from Ontario factory and it was installed last week and I'm happy to report the the [email protected] rumble is now gone. This is in normal D drive at highway speeds under 80MPH.

I suggested to them that the ECM/PCM could be the problem and showed them the yahoo emails posted on odyclub with this replacement suggestion, but they decided to try the tranny swap first.

I'll point out that this was treated as a straight forward warrantly service, no runaround, straight forward diagnosis.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Honda dealer doesn't want to hear it. The service mgr says he talked to the District Service Mgr. and although aware, they don't have a fix. I mentioned that I saw people getting new E/PCMs on the Net. He said this is not a Honda TB fix and until there is a TB from Honda he can't do anything.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts