643 Posts
so Steve do you guys cari H8
8000K for fog light ?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
gene74 said:
what do u guys do with the stock wires? do u guys just tuck it in there?
Stock wires are really short. They just tuck behind the headlight assemblies with the rest of the wires!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
chiody said:
Steve,

You work near "Hamburger U's" flagship Mickey Dee's? Recognized the Renaissance Hotel in the jpegs....

Small world!!!

Have clients nearby at Reed....

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Man, chiody! You are good! I don't work in the area... I do live pretty close though where these pics were taken.

I was over running an errand off of 83, the night after I did the install... and stopped to take my pics! Good eye.

Steve from Xenon Depot is out of Canada. Product arrived quickly to me in less then 4 business days. As I said earlier... this product is amazing and well worth the cash.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Xenon-- a question about the relay.
On my '86 Porsche, headlight upgrades (from 55W to 100 Watt halogen H1) are fairly common, and the recommendation is to use a relay to protect the SWITCH (at dash) from the higher wattage draw. Is this the same purpose of the relay in your kit?

thanks

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
mik911 said:
Xenon-- a question about the relay.
On my '86 Porsche, headlight upgrades (from 55W to 100 Watt halogen H1) are fairly common, and the recommendation is to use a relay to protect the SWITCH (at dash) from the higher wattage draw. Is this the same purpose of the relay in your kit?

thanks
This would be the case with this set as well! ... but I'll let Steve answer the question too! I guarantee... that once you do the upgrade... you'll be completely satisfied with the end result!

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Hi mik911,

We use a relay harness for several reasons:

1) The harness ensures that the ballasts get a constant 12V. Your vehicle's OE headlight wiring is designed for halogen bulbs as opposed to HID meaning that that the power the bulb receives can fluctuate. A halogen bulb will dim if the voltage drops whereas HIDs will flicker. This will reduce bulb/ballast life.

2) With the harness installed, at no point in time is your vehicle's OE wiring at risk for any reason. This helps those of you that are worried about warranty as there is no legitimate reason for the dealership to blame the kit should something ever go wrong.

3) Ballasts do draw considerably more power upon start up. The relay harness we provide ensures that you do not draw a higher current from your vehicle's OE wiring than it was designed to provide.

On another note, an HID bulb will not burn as hot as a 100W halogen bulb. I have actually seen people seriously damage their vehicle's headlight and wiring by using higher wattage halogen bulbs. Be careful with those.

famman - Glad to see you're enjoying the kit!! I told you that it would be hard to go back to halogen should you ever have to =)

Steve

·
Registered
47 Posts
What is the throw of light like compared to stock?

How is it in snow/rain/fog?

Does it reflect up more blinding the driver?

I like the idea of upgrading our lights as it's darker than dark here at night & we easily out drive our headlights on the interstate and rural back roads.

·
Registered
650 Posts
XenonDepot I was wondering most people that do hid conversions would retrofit projectors in the stock housing since this isn't done with this case how is the cut off and most important how the stock housing translates the light. From famman pics they seem extremely bright dont want to run into any issues with blinding on coming traffic.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Bone said:
... From famman pics they seem extremely bright don't want to run into any issues with blinding on coming traffic.
Haven't had any complaints from on-coming drivers regarding the light output! :D Guess they're too consumed with how nice the ride is!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Xenon---this question is not Ody related, but on my Volvo XC90 (SUV), the low beams function as DRL's (but lower voltage).
I'd like to upgrade to Xenon HID's, but am afraid it won't work in this application. Any ideas?
If a lower voltage is applied to the HID's, will it just cause the light to flicker, and set off my dash warning light?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Hi Guys,

I apologize for the delay in responding to this thread however we were closed last week due to a move.

Bone - Many of the newer vehicles that have reflective headlights have a nice cutoff that is much better when compared to older vehicles with reflective headlights.

Mike911 - We do have a solution for this. Would it be possible for me to call you to discuss though? It might be easier to do so over the phone as opposed to email/PM. If that is OK with you please PM me with your number and I will gladly give you call.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
650 Posts
XenonDepot said:

Bone - Many of the newer vehicles that have reflective headlights have a nice cutoff that is much better when compared to older vehicles with reflective headlights.
Looking at Famman pictures they seem extremely bright. I dont want to have an issue with people flashing me every time I pass by them. Also by the lights being very bright there wont be any issues with the housing burning will it. I am thinking about doing this and want to be sure that there is no issues with what I am saying thanks again.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've been running XD's 4300k kit since May 07, no burnt housing, no issues or problems.

Yes it is much brighter, but there is somewhat of a non flat cutoff that prevents oncoming drivers from being blinded. Also, I have my lights aimed slightly lower than OP's, as blinding other drivers is not something I'm interested in after an altercation with a cabdriver who didn't like the e-code uptick from Depo projectors in my other vehicle.

The only time I had someone flash me was at a red light where I was stopped at an incline. A motorist across from me thought my brights were on. Self leveling would not have helped as the incline was too much.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Arnel said:
I have my lights aimed slightly lower than OP's, as blinding other drivers is not something I'm interested in was too much.

How did you lower it?

·
Registered
194 Posts
gene74 said:
How did you lower it?
there's an adjustment screw. It looks like a wheel with teeth. Use a long phillips. I think you can also use a socket. Search for pics on headlight adjustment. Can't remember where I found it, but I saw it on this forum.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
Arnel said:
there's an adjustment screw. It looks like a wheel with teeth. Use a long phillips. I think you can also use a socket. Search for pics on headlight adjustment. Can't remember where I found it, but I saw it on this forum.
These instructions are for 99'-04' Ody's for adjusting height only:

Facing the front bumper looking down at the headlight enclosure is a knurled nut on the "inboard side" of the assembly. A deep socket will fit over a smaller nut on the knurled one. Turning it counterclockwise will lower the beam which affects both high and low beams equally.

Find a level stretch of pavement to a wall and drive right up to it. and mark the center point of each beam. Then back up 25 feet noting where the center point is now. Adjust the center to be 2 inches lower than your mark. Now check both center points are equal ht. from the ground, adjust as required...that's it... easy to do....

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Haven't had any issues yet with lights being too bright. Have had comments though wondering if those were stock... and how cool they look!

·
Registered
667 Posts
I was checking out the HID bulbs made for reflectors, and it has a metal shield on it, I suppose, to prevent glare. So that might be the reason no one is complaining about glare on the Ody.

For projector housing:

For reflector housing:

21 - 40 of 243 Posts