Honda Odyssey Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bluesramsrock:
Gram-Parsons said:

Your kidding aren't you? Or is this anti-slavery thing a 2002 New Year's Resolution? Aren't these your "consumptions" you listed on your previous posts?

'01 SS Honda Odyssey EX
'99 F150 XL SUPER Cab
'00 Kawasaki ZR-T

</font>
You got it.
And the only thing not paid for completely is the Ody . . and it will be soon . . and the house as soon as possible after that.

The F150 replaced a ragged out '92 Accord that was in disrepair. The F150 was the least expensive thing we could get that would carry the the five of us and provide adequate utility needed for a household of five. At under 17k off the lot, what else should I have chosen?

We moved out of a compact sedan into the Ody with the birth of our third child. The Ody was an anti-consumer idea in and of itself: eschewing the sport-utility craze with all their high prices, gas guzzling, resource wasting excess--all for the poseur image most of them project.

If I were interested in the "trendiest" (Harley) or "Fastest" (superbikes) then I certainly wouldn't have chosen the ZR-7. I never said we should deny ourselves simple pleasures in life--and at 750ccs and around 5k I'd say my minimalist motorbike is anything but ostentatious or excessive. I use it extensively for commuting great distances to work, where it makes sense with it's lack of depreciation (doesn't have very far down to do) and its 50 mpg fuel economy. I certainly don't have a buy-it-to-polish-it-and-put-100-miles-a-year-on-it-to-impress-my-friends-$15,000 Harley.

I wear a 3 year old $15 dollar watch. I refuse to wear anything with Tommy Hilfiger on it (or some other obnoxious brand). We live in a house that's about 1/3 of what we can "afford" because I refuse to be a slave to my employer, the banks, or the designers.

I wasn't trying to bust on the new Ody. If I were in the market, I'd probably choose the Ody again based on utility, value, reliability, etc. The new features certainly raise the bar and made an already great vehicle even better.

But to suddenly be unhappy enough with my perfectly splendid late-model vehicle just because Honda made a few incremental improvements smacks of consumerism run amuck.

Does that bigger H (both on the steering wheel AND on the grille) stand for Honda or Hilfiger?

·
Registered
70 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pummal:
One more and then I'll shut up

I agree with you fundamentally that we should be able to speak our mind w/o inhibition. However, that is my purely logical brain talking... I've learned over time that being sensitive to others is just as important as getting my point across.

So, to say that chasing the latest and greatest is not your goal does not require ridiculing people who, for various reasons, wish to pursue what they really want instead of settling for what they have.

I guess what I'm trying to advocate against is making our points through sarcasm and ridicule; If only because it eventually leads to nothing more than a bunch of negativity.

Certainly I can't stop you from doing what you want... I suppose I'm just overreacting a bit from being spoiled by so LITTLE of this type of negativity on this board.

Here's hoping it is short lived

</font>
Minivans and lack-of-negativity go like milk and cookies, don't they?

Your point is well taken. I have a tendency to shoot off at the mouth, certainly . . the anonymity and facelessness of the net has a tendency to promote that sort of thing.

But then, I tend to shoot off at the mouth in person, too, something I've been working on for almost thirty years.

Your comment about people who "wish to pursue what they really want instead of settling for what they have" hits the nail on the head. Certainly pursuing certain things (savings, security, education, career) can be admirable and very rewarding. And we certainly live in a society that encourages it-is-never-enough consumerism. That's explains the negative savings rate this country is (or was recently) experiencing. Witness the young lady and her dainty shopping bag in the Ford Excursion. Witness the couple in a 40-foot camper/bus pulling a Grand Cherokee in the rear as a "runabout" when they reach their destination. Witness $1000 leather Lois-Vuitton (I can't spell it, but I know I don't like it) hand bags. Witness the 4000 plus oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico to fuel our never ending desires.

Trust me . . this is a personal battle. I've certainly been guilty of spending too much on a shirt, a car, putting too much on a credit card, etc.

And previous poster's comment about it being a 2002 resolution was pretty close (and quite witty--I can appreciate a zinger even when I'm on the wrong end of it) . . I've come to this point relatively recently in my life, when I've had the financial resources to do plenty but realized for myself that enough would never be enough.

Ah hell . .what were we talking about anyway?

·
Registered
62 Posts
What in the world happened this afternoon? I'm suddenly reading smack like I was on a pro football forum. This forum prides itself on being very factual and positive. Viewpoints are fine, but let's not make this into a soap opera with ten posts that add up to nothing. Take that to some other forum. Let's let these last posts fade and have every member respect each other as was intended. This is the same talk you would give your children. All Ody's are great and no one should be ashamed. Every year there will be something newer and better. That is how it works. But we are not going to buy the new model every year either obviously. Let every model year enjoy the site. Now let's drop this mushy dribble already.

·
Registered
73 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dsalfred:
What in the world happened this afternoon? I'm suddenly reading smack like I was on a pro football forum. This forum prides itself on being very factual and positive. Viewpoints are fine, but let's not make this into a soap opera with ten posts that add up to nothing. Take that to some other forum. Let's let these last posts fade and have every member respect each other as was intended. This is the same talk you would give your children. All Ody's are great and no one should be ashamed. Every year there will be something newer and better. That is how it works. But we are not going to buy the new model every year either obviously. Let every model year enjoy the site. Now let's drop this mushy dribble already.

</font>
Oh yeah? Them's fightin' words! Meet me out back of the Odyssey at noon tomorrow, you punk, and we'll settle this like men!

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen.
It ain't the size, it's... no, it's the size.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What a supurise!!!
The changes were greater than I had been imagined. New 2002 will be mega hitter again. Accuracy of rumors in this site now has been confirmed.

It seems like many people has been on waiting list for 2002. It must be a long queue already! I hope at the of it there will be some vehicles delivered to JPN as Lagreat!!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I would still like to see what advantages the rewired electrical system/lighting has over 01.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounds great! I was up at our KIA dealer and their new Sedona van has a five speed auto. Still no comparison however when you take resale or build quality into account.

------------------
'96 Odyssey, 254,000Kms and a
'90 Accord, 219,000Kms

[This message has been edited by RODB (edited 08-11-2001).]

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am on the list for an '02 LX. I was just looking at the Hondanews.com specs and I had a couple of questions.

1) The LX only comes with 4 speakers. Where are the other two speakers that are installed with the EX? Is this a simple upgrade?

2) Does anybody know that the "heat rejecting glass" in the EX is? I thought having the privacy glass would be effective enough in keeping the inside cooler in the summer. Is this other glass so effective?(My wife realy dislikes getting into a hot car.)

I'm so excited about the '02's; the final produce is everything that was rumored here. You guys are great!

·
Registered
188 Posts
(1) On the '01 models anyway, the EX has two tweeters up front, on top of the dash where it meets the windshield. Not sure if there are cutout panels on the LX for an upgrade.

(2) I've never had problems with the heat rejecting glass, not the best but OK. Then again, I love hot weather. (Just open all the doors on your van and you'll get rid of that hot air very fast.)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
61 - 72 of 72 Posts