Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to get something to protect my new 02 odyssey I will be recieving soon, and would like to know which is my best option. Those who own a Bra or Bug Deflector, which in your opinion is best for protecting the paint from chips and bigs. I've heard storied of the bra scratching the paint when dirt gets underneath, and I'm not sure I like the look of a bug deflector. Your opinions are appreciated. Also, where can I get the best choice, should I go with the expensive Honda choice, or buy something else? Thanks!

Still waiting for my 02 RRP EXL-RES.

·
1,484 Posts
Honda Black Bra
Pro - Full coverage of front nose end.
Cons - Have to remove and clean every so often to prevent scratching or dirt buildup. Might add or take away from Odyssey's looks?

Deflector
Pro - Don't have to remove it.
Cons - Not full coverage of front nose end. Might add or take away from Odyssey's looks?

Clear Bra
Pros - Bra is not visible. Does not add or take away Odyssey's looks. Don't have to remove it.
Cons - Expensive and may be harder to install.

For more info on the 3M clear bra go to:
http://www.xpel.com/paint/product.asp?make=Honda#P0208

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
215 Posts
The bra material has to be able to breathe. I have heard of several (but only saw one) case where the paint turned whitish when it got damp under the bra. ( Kinda like a caucasians skin when we leave a bandage on for several days). Would not buff or dry out. The hood had to be repainted. (Was on a Ford product with clearcoat).

Regards
Al

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am wondering the same thing. Would love more thoughts. Has anyone actually had problems with a bra? Does a gravel driveway increase the problesm?

·
1,484 Posts
I've had the Honda black bra on before. I removed it for these reasons:

- Asthetic (looks)
- Everytime I washed van - I had to removed it and install it back on.
- Have to remove it after it rained or parked in a very moistured area.
- Takes forever to dry when wet

If you are going to use the bra I would suggest putting a double coat of wax/Zaino before installing it. Same goes for Mud Guards. Maybe in another 6-8 months remove it and apply another coat. For the gravel - I would mostly be concern about stuff coming from the highways than your driveway. Although it wouldn't hurt to check every so often.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree with taking the bra off periodically and cleaning it. but I have never had a problem with the bra clouding a paint job. I had just the hood part of a bra on a SHO for 100,000 miles since I drive on a road daily where trucks sling major gravel. If they pop a metal hood-youve got a nick. If they pop the soft part of the bumper-they typically do no damage. My 02 has got just the hood part now and will put the full bra on for road trips.

·
Registered
182 Posts
When we bought a 92 Civic we bought the bra for it. I waxed the hood with two coats of whatever was popular at the time. Took the bra off about three weeks later to clean and rewax the car and found that the paint had clouded under the bra. I returned the bra to the dealer and got my money refunded but they couldn't do anything about the paint. I was very upset. Luckily, after about another three weeks the clouding disappeared.

I installed the Honda deflector on my Ody. The only problem I have with defectors in general is that we live in the middle of a 10 acre woods and always have leaves, etc. getting between the deflector and the hood. I have removed the deflector about three time for cleaning/waxing the hood. It only takes a couple of minutes to remove the screws and pull it off, a little longer to put it back on since you have to align the screw holes up and make sure the rubber seal hasn't slipped off. On some deflectors, and I don't know if the Ody works as well as others, the bugs (and snow in the winter) are deflected over the windshield at highway speeds. Just my $.01 since the market decline today.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a bra installed on our '01 SS Ody. I think that it provides a sporty look to it. I also like the look of the deflector, but not on the SS or TW because the Honda deflector is tinted green and not smoke. Of course that is personal preference.

As for protection, the full nose mask is great for the bumper portion. I am not sure that the hood part provides as much protection or bug deflection as the deflector would--I am not sure that the bra provides the upward air flow like the deflector. We have several "chips" in our hood, but no scratches yet from the bra. I take it off every couple of weeks to wash the van and clean the bra. Depending on the immediate need, I may put the hood portion on. I usually save the bumper portion for long trips or winter-like weather.

I used a similar full nose mask, in a similar fashion, on our '94 Isuzu Trooper and have been pleased with the results. Just recently the bumper portion of the bra started to tear.

I suppose I gave you more than $.02 worth, but I'll throw in the extra for free!

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree that the green tinted Honda deflector limits itself to certain colors, but the price limits the OEM deflector even more. The WeatherThech is easily installed and is more of a smoke color. I like the look it adds to the nose.
Mark

------------------
'01 SS EX: Leather steering wheel wrap, fenderwell trim, splash guards, door guards, Honda cargo mat, Honda cargo tray, Honda 6 disc CD-changer, Honda cassette player, OEM Kelton subwoofer, Honda front speaker upgrade, Pioneer 1086 rear speaker (with baffles), Honda emergency repair bag, Honda trash chute, Honda glovebox organizer, WeatherTech front deflector, WeatherTech wind and storm shields, Thule roofrack system, Plug'n'Go center console, Ractive silver/kevlar shift knob, PIAA x-treme white 7440 reverse light bulbs, Sylvania CB-9003 OEM replacement headlight bulbs, fitted HeatShield sunshade.

·
Registered
331 Posts
We have a MacNeil deflector on our 00 TW EX. It is smoked and looks really good IMHO. So far, no nicks/dings/chips on hood. Low level of bugs on windshield. Only complaint was the tapes used to attach it (screws are optional) kept failing. But I finally figured out I missed a step in the install (slide tabs under rubber edge on hood). Since then, it has been flawless.

As for bras, I had a LeBra on my old 87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z. I ran it on the car for 3.5 years through Boston winters with no clouding of the paint. The LeBra is designed to be left on even when wet as the vinyl is perforated and allows the moisture to exit. I will admit I took it off just about every week and hand washed

Your results may vary. Paint was different back in 87 and the LeBra line is owned by a different company now.

For info see

http://www.saddleman.com/lebra/index.html

I am considering getting a LeBra for my 98 Accord. The hood was recently repainted and I want to prevent any more damage.

Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by robr2 (edited 09-19-2001).]

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would suggest a bra only if you travel long distances. Having your bra on your car for any extended time will probably cause marring of your hood.

Eventually, dust, pollen and possibly small pebbles can get underneath the bra and cause sanding of your hood while it moves with your vehicle. It is a great protector if you plan to make a cross country trip.

I will always recommend a bug deflector for protection if you want some sort of protection for the front of your vehicle, the deflector will redirect the air flow over your hood and your vehicle. However, it will not prevent damage to the front bumper of your vehicle.

I live in the NY tri state area and the highways around here are ALWAYS under construction. Rocks and pebbles. Seeing double trailer 18 wheelers here are routine and I am a very aggressive drive (almost to the point of tailgating). Do you know how much pebbles and rocks a 18 wheeler throws up when you tailgate? Even with these exceptional conditions, I can count the number of small pebble scratches with my 2 hands (and I do not have a bra or wind deflector)

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
200 Posts
toyman,

Just out of curiosity, what color is your Ody? We have a SS '01 EX that we purchased at the beginning of April '01 and already have more than a dozen chips in the hood. Given the issues that have been posted on this site about the SS paint, I am trying to make some correlation. At this point I have decided to practice my touch-up skills on our other car and then fix the Ody chips.

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have the MacNeil deflector and on a recent road trip down I-5, which is a very "buggy" area, I was amazed at how few bugs reached my windshield at 70 mph. The deflector also fits very well and the installation is very easy (I installed mine with the tape and when it was in a good position, I installed the screws). I also have found the deflector easy to clean under, which is a plus, in my book. If you go where there is a lot of gravel, you might want the full bra, since the bumpers on the Odysseys do chip.

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the Honda bug deflector on mine and personally I like the way it looks. It does a good job of sending the bugs over the roof. I received a hell of a good star crack on the deflector from a rock which bummed me out. But I'd rather it be there than on my hood.

------------------
Chris
99 EX Deep Velvet Blue; Fog Lights; Air Deflector; Splash Guards; Cargo Tray; Cargo Mat

·
Registered
148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jvennitti:
toyman,

Just out of curiosity, what color is your Ody? We have a SS '01 EX that we purchased at the beginning of April '01 and already have more than a dozen chips in the hood. Given the issues that have been posted on this site about the SS paint, I am trying to make some correlation. At this point I have decided to practice my touch-up skills on our other car and then fix the Ody chips.

Jeff

</font>

Jeff,

Sorry, I do not own an Ody (I am here only to linger and lurk
) - The car I was talking about is my personal Lexus GS400 in Alpine Silver. I also own and drive an Honda Accord Coupe Taffty White V6 and a Black Mercedes ML 320

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
I have the MacNeil deflector and on a recent road trip down I-5, which is a very "buggy" area, I was amazed at how few bugs reached my windshield at 70 mph. The deflector also fits very well and the installation is very easy (I installed mine with the tape and when it was in a good position, I installed the screws). I also have found the deflector easy to clean under, which is a plus, in my book. If you go where there is a lot of gravel, you might want the full bra, since the bumpers on the Odysseys do chip.

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX
</font>
If you are looking for a custom look, order a bug deflector in clear, then paint the back underside of it body color. The other side will remain clear and shiny and will make the paint appear shiny as well for the life of the vehicle.

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
165 Posts
For what it's worth, when I bought a bra for my 90 Integra, a friend recommended a company called Colgan for the bra. Much higher quality than the Le Bra or the factory bra. Thick vinyl and thich velvet/felt to protect the paint. They however cautioned against letting a wet bra dry on the car. They said that is what causes the paint to mar. So, I always removed it when wet to dry off the car. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just got my full bra the other day. I was pleasantly surprised that the Odyssey logo was actually some sort of silver metal, very thin and good quality. It will look very cool with the Silver Ody.

It even came with a bag to put it in when not in use.

I've seen other bras where the logo was embroidered into the bra.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts