Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2019 Odyssey EX recently rear-ended a car at a stop light. It was a pretty minor rear end accident with fairly minor damage. We were at a red light, stopped for a while. The light turned green and we thought everyone was moving forward, however the car in front of us did not move (remained exactly where it was). We pressed on the gas like you normally would when accelerating at a red light and then rear ended the car in front of us. It's hard to know how fast we were going at impact, but it was very slow - perhaps 2-5 MPH. It was of course our fault for hitting the car in front of us.

After taking care of all the necessary things, one thing I immediately thought of was, shouldn't the Honda Sensing system have prevented this type of crash. We know the system is at least functioning, as it has occasionally given us various warnings when you might get a little to close to a vehicle. I assumed the Honda Sensing system would be able to kick in in the situation described above. Not only did the system not prevent the crash, it didn't kick in at all - no warnings, no automatic braking, etc. - nothing. I know I have seen systems from Subaru (Eyesight) and Volvo demonstrate being able to stop/prevent this type of accident from occurring (breaking and stopping the car before impacting the vehicle in front of you). Same with a similar type of common accident - when turning right and you think the vehicle in front of you went and you rear end them when you're looking left to see if you can go. Searching Honda's website and online, I can not tell if the system should have kicked-in in the situation I described.

Does anyone have any experience with this, had the system prevent a collision like I described above, or know for sure if the Honda Sensing system should/would not prevent this? I want to ask Honda or the Honda dealer but I'm afraid of how challenging it will be to get an accurate answer from anyone. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
For the scenario you described I am not aware of any manufacturer's system that will prevent it. I did exactly what you did in my 2016 Ford Explorer, which caused me to dig into how the system works. The issue is once you come to a full stop the system essentially ceases to operate simply because it has no data. You are not moving therefore the sensors have no information to provide, so it takes the car moving again to sense that you are "closing in" on the vehicle ahead of you, but assuming you stopped 1/2 a car length or less behind the car in front of you the collision happens before the system can process the information.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Doesn't the distance sensing and braking turn off once you pass 25 MPH and slowing?

Too lazy to dig it out of the manuals but there are several good sections on it there.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Our 2019 Odyssey EX recently rear-ended a car at a stop light. It was a pretty minor rear end accident with fairly minor damage. We were at a red light, stopped for a while. The light turned green and we thought everyone was moving forward, however the car in front of us did not move (remained exactly where it was). We pressed on the gas like you normally would when accelerating at a red light and then rear ended the car in front of us. It's hard to know how fast we were going at impact, but it was very slow - perhaps 2-5 MPH. It was of course our fault for hitting the car in front of us.

After taking care of all the necessary things, one thing I immediately thought of was, shouldn't the Honda Sensing system have prevented this type of crash. We know the system is at least functioning, as it has occasionally given us various warnings when you might get a little to close to a vehicle. I assumed the Honda Sensing system would be able to kick in in the situation described above. Not only did the system not prevent the crash, it didn't kick in at all - no warnings, no automatic braking, etc. - nothing. I know I have seen systems from Subaru (Eyesight) and Volvo demonstrate being able to stop/prevent this type of accident from occurring (breaking and stopping the car before impacting the vehicle in front of you). Same with a similar type of common accident - when turning right and you think the vehicle in front of you went and you rear end them when you're looking left to see if you can go. Searching Honda's website and online, I can not tell if the system should have kicked-in in the situation I described.

Does anyone have any experience with this, had the system prevent a collision like I described above, or know for sure if the Honda Sensing system should/would not prevent this? I want to ask Honda or the Honda dealer but I'm afraid of how challenging it will be to get an accurate answer from anyone. Thanks.
I had a car about 2 car lengths in front of me on turning right but slowed down at the turn quickly, I was probably doing 10-15 MPH. No traffic lights or stop signs and I told my wife that this guy is driving rather weirdly. This is the point where he almost came to a stop and at that moment of time he was about a half of car in front of me with his vehicle 1/2 through his right turn. All of a sudden the ODY was hitting the brake and the center display showed STOP the Vehicle, so I turned slightly to the left to avoid his vehicle and started to accelerate and the brakes released and the Stop the Vehicle shut-off. If I had gone straight the ODY would have fully braked and stopped short of hitting the guy in front of me. So, the question is was it right in attempting to stop (YES) why did it cancel stopping, I steered to the left which relocated to a new path which the radar did not see any traffic ahead of my new direction and I stepped on the throttle to go around and released it's brake control.

In our 763 page, Honda Odyssey Manual page 608-616 , under the Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) give a fairly good explanation of this system.

·
Registered
532 Posts
So, the question is was it right in attempting to stop (YES) why did it cancel stopping, I steered to the left which relocated to a new path which the radar did not see any traffic ahead of my new direction and I stepped on the throttle to go around and released it's brake control.
If I understand the system correctly, pressing the gas pedal cancels the automatic braking. Also, by swerving into a new (clear) lane, the threat no longer exists.

·
Registered
286 Posts
this is why I like having sensors and a (360-degree) camera. Honda doesn't provide the former on low-end Odyssey, and fails to offer the latter on any model.

·
Registered
394 Posts
For the scenario you described I am not aware of any manufacturer's system that will prevent it. I did exactly what you did in my 2016 Ford Explorer, which caused me to dig into how the system works. The issue is once you come to a full stop the system essentially ceases to operate simply because it has no data. You are not moving therefore the sensors have no information to provide, so it takes the car moving again to sense that you are "closing in" on the vehicle ahead of you, but assuming you stopped 1/2 a car length or less behind the car in front of you the collision happens before the system can process the information.
Tesla does...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts