Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my van for about two weeks now. A couple of days ago I got a call from Honda. They just ask me a few questions about the quality of service from the dealership and the condition of the van. I was honestly able to respond very positively on all of their questions because I had been treated well. My question is, does Honda do this with every new vehicle they sell? Did everybody here get a call? Or do they just pick a random few to survey?

It is not really that important. I was just curious.

Travis

·
Registered
392 Posts
I recieved a survey in the mail. I completed it and mailed it back. Two months later I was invited to do a market survey in Long Beach. They paid me $75 to do a 2 hour survey.
I think they choose by random.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I received a call from the dealer, a call from Honda America, a letter from my salesperson and a survey in the mail from Honda.

------------------
'01 DEP EX in Fairview Park, Ohio
Click here for pics.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I also received the above four things. Haven't filled out the certified mail survey yet, and wonder if there's a place to register dismay at receiving a new transmission at 278 miles.
OTOH, maybe I should be HAPPY I'm receiving a new transmission at 278 miles: they seem to be trying.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Let's see, I've gotten no less than four (4) phone calls from the dealer inquiring about my satisfaction with the purchase, sale, and delivery of my new Odyssey. I have also received a phone call from Honda directly and I got the certified mail survey yesterday. It will go back to Honda today (06-27).

While I'm impressed with Honda's and the dealers concern that I'm happy with my purchasing experience, it is starting to wear a little thin. I'll say this for them, they've made a lot more of an effort to keep in touch with me than any of the previous dealers I've done business with.

Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've received a phone call, a letter, and two surveys from the dealer; and a survey from Honda. My impression is that the dealer is more concerned about maintaining a positive image with Honda than they are with me - the one who forked over the money. They did nothing to earn my business (they just happen to be conviently close to my home and were no more expensive than the other Honda dealer in town). The surveys from the dealer, which I received before the one from Honda, were all centered around this theme: "If there's any reason you can't give our dealership 'Excellent' ratings on the survey you're about to receive from Honda, please call us now and let us resolve the problems!!". Apparently Honda puts a lot of pressure on the dealerships to give good customer service; I have this feeling I wouldn't have received *any* requests for feedback from the dealer if they knew Honda wasn't going to ask me direct.

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
You know ... the dealer has never called me. I've had no contact with them since I drove off the lot.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
47 Posts
Like groupset, I've got serious moral problems with this.

They didn't so much sell me a car, I bought what I already wanted. Like groupset, it was a nearby dealer that was simply no worse than most dealers in the Atlanta area.

The salesman didn't impress me with his knowledge of the vehicle - in fact, he didn't tell me much at all. I knew more about the Odyssey than he did. He didn't even know where the child seat tether attachments were - which is fine, except that instead of admitting it, he told me the van didn't have them at all, that I'd have to buy them from the parts department!

Of course, I knew they were there. I didn't say anything, I figured I'd just look it up in the manual. I know, it's a pretty minor point - but it's really the only one I have to go on, seeing as how I knew just about everything else.

So the way they explain it is that the average ratings are close to excellent, across the country. So if you don't give them excellent, you are giving them a below average rating. "You might think you are doing me a favor when you mark 'very good', but in fact that will hurt me in the future."

Well, geeze, I'm sorry the survey has become meaningless, does that mean I should lie on it? So I don't want to penalize this guy, but I also don't want to say he or the dealership was excellent. They weren't. They were good. I'd recommend them to a friend. But I wouldn't say they were excellent.

Maybe I'll just throw it away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a survey and a phone call from Honda. When I was at the dealer they had several examples onm how to fill them out lying around the dealership. They asked that if I could not fill out the survey as insrtucted to please let them know why. The salesperson and the finance department both said it had a direct effect on their standing with Honda and their pay.

Dean

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I received a written survey in the mail yesterday to go along with my phone survey. They did tell me on the phone I would be receiving it and ask that I fill it out also. My salesman had told me I would receive a written survey. He also made a big deal out of the ratings I would give him on that. He told me to call him if I couldn't give him an excellent on something and he would try to make it right.

gfxguy, it is funny you would mention the tether attatchments. My wife ask about that and the salesman was able to show us the one in the very back of the van, but he didn't know of any others. After we left the dealership my wife told me she didn't even want the van because of that. She said it would make her put the carseat in the third row and crawl back there every time she loaded or unloaded our daughter. And she went on, the carseat being in the third row would negate the value of being able to so easily fold the magic seat into the floor thus loosing that functionality. Then about an hour after we had been at the dealership looking at the van the salesman called us. He had looked it up himself without our prompting and wanted to let us know there were tether attatchments on the two middle row seats. The next time we went to look at the van he made a point of showing them to us. And the rest is history. We have the 2001 MB EX in our garage right now.

I guess your minor point was negative, and ours turned out being a positive because the salesman took the time to do a little research. That is part of what has allowed me to give a good rating on these surveys. But I definately agree with you. If you didn't get excellent service, let them know on the survey. That is why Honda is doing the survey. Someone there is concerned about their dealership image and they are trying to improve it. They can't do that if they don't get the straight facts from us. So I encourage you to fill the survey out with your honest answers.

Travis

------------------
2001 MB EX, Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Wheel Locks, Pioneer Speakers

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, I'm hardly going to lose sleep about it, but I like being fair.

Is it fair to rate them as good or very good if it will penalize the dealship because of a screwed up survey system? A system where customers have routinely been bribed with free oil changes and the like to get "excellents" on all questions?

What I'm saying is, that in my limited research I've discovered that what the salesman said is correct - if he doesn't get all "excellents", he might even get fired - because the average rating is over 90% (excellent = 100%, very good = 75%).

I would rate my salesman as better than average (the vast majority being lying bastards - I think they see the word "sucker" across my forehead). But if I give him "very good", he will get penalized. But I would not rate him, on a real scale, any higher than "very good".

The problem stems from the fact that the dealer can influence the consumer. It should be required by Honda that dealers not even mention the survey AT ALL. In fact, it should be a survey question: has the dealer discussed this survey with you?

Penalize the dealerships that have, and get more meaningful data from the ones that haven't.

·
Registered
196 Posts
When my salesman and I discussed the survey issue during the purchase, I confided that the dealer who sold me the 2000 Accord didn't send me a survey because the car started having problems immediately after taking possession. It stalled at the dealership and they couldn't figure it out. Then the transmission had to be replaced at 600 miles. He just raised his eyebrows and assured me that I would receive a survey in the mail from his dealership. About two weeks after getting the ODY I received a call from American Honda (really?)asking about the dealership. I gave them high ratings but mentioned having problems with my paint. I asked when I could expect to see the survey from American Honda show up in my mailbox and she replied "any day". It's been over two months since the purchase and no survey yet. I don't expect to see one any time soon. Honda is not about to send a survey to a customer who has registered a complaint. One of the ways they maintain their high satisfaction rating is by carefully screening out the participants and minimizing the risk of getting negative marks. I honestly feel the 1st call I received about the dealership was from someone at the dealership pretending to be from American Honda to determined how I would respond if I did get a survey.

------------------
Tom
2001 SS EX ?

·
Registered
255 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gfxguy:
The problem stems from the fact that the dealer can influence the consumer. It should be required by Honda that dealers not even mention the survey AT ALL. In fact, it should be a survey question: has the dealer discussed this survey with you?

Penalize the dealerships that have, and get more meaningful data from the ones that haven't.
</font>
Excellent suggestion, gfxguy! I did return the survey I received from Honda and did give the dealership itself excellent marks. I threw out the one I got from the dealership asking about my "purchasing experience" with their salesman, however - I felt that by throwing that one away, I invested as much time and energy in their survey as their salesman did in my "purchasing experience".

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts