Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we bought our 2001 Ody EX two weeks ago we had the dealer install a Honda trailer hitch. They left the wiring loose coming out of the hitch with no socket to plug in the wiring socket coming from a trailer. I asked if they should have installed a wiring socket. We were told that there are different sockets and that we would want to have the correct one installed when we know what trailer we will be pulling.

Is it correct that the dealer should have left the wires loose? The wire ends were wrapped with electrical tape and are hanging from the hitch.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That right.

My Honda dealer added a Class 3 wiring component. This will and always is and add'l cost.

You can pick up one at NAPA or WalMart.
In the meantime I would wrapping it in electrical tape and hide inside the bumper

·
Registered
564 Posts
I would think the nice thing to do, is for the dealer to ask how you'd like the leads terminated. Maybe alerting the customer to the fact that you'll need a connector, so it could be done all at the same time if desired. Wouldn't that make for a little more pleasant Honda experience?

Just a thought....hoping that somebody at Honda checks these boards now and again...

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me."
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 Volvo V70 T5, white/graphite

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Has anyone determined the following re: the 2002 towing package?

Will the '01 hitch assy. fit the '02?

Will the '02 require add on of both a transmission cooler and a power steering cooler (a la Acura MDX)? And, are the part(s) the same as the '01?

Will the dealer have the parts now, or not until November or whatever?

·
Registered
12 Posts
the 01 hitch would fit the 02.the coolers i don't know.i know honda sell the whole in a pkg.i'm looking into acura to see if mdx to see if the cooler would work?

·
Registered
12 Posts
the 01 hitch would fit the 02.the coolers i don't know.i know honda sell the whole in a pkg.i'm looking into acura to see if mdx to see if the cooler would work?

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
I just chatted with Trevor, and he mentioned that for '02, the hitch will come packaged with the trans and steering coolers. Apparently you can't buy the seperate any more. Nothing firm on if the hitch part will be the same, but I'd imagine that it will be.

- Darell

------------------

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
So, is it possible to buy the hitch from J.C. Whitney or U-Haul or local Draw-Tite dealer for around $100, and then order the transmission and power steering coolers from Trevor/Honda?

And .... the '01 already has a power steering cooler (as do most modern vehicles). Does the '02 (1) not have a cooler, and you install a new cooler; (2)have a cooler and you replace it with a bigger cooler; or (3)have a cooler and you add a second cooler? I cannot figure this out, re: the power steering cooler.

Will the Acura MDX power steering cooler fit the '02 Odyssey?

Will the '01 Odyssey transmission cooler fit the '02 Odyssey?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Sinbad -

Man! All excellent questions that I'm afraid we'll have to wait for answers on. I'm sure we'll be able to buy all the coolers separately though.

I only need the hitch for light towing, and for a bike rack. I'm pretty sure I can get away with no extra cooling. Looks like I'll have to buy aftermarket for sure...

Oh, and if you DO tow heavy stuff, just don't turn or shift, and you should be fine with no extra coolers

- Darell

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts