1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
63 Posts
Problems still exist in 2010 as my brand new 3 month old Odyssey is leaking transmission fluid on my garage floor due to a porous transmission case. Complete BS from a company like Honda who is suppose to have a reputation of "Legendary Reliability". I used to have a different opinion about Honda before I bought the Odyssey 3 months ago and that opinion was based on my "good" experience with an '05 Accord & an '09 CR-V. Luckily I still own my Accord but I regret trading in the CR-V on the Odyssey. I wish could turn back time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OdyDa-Da said:
Problems still exist in 2010 as my brand new 3 month old Odyssey is leaking transmission fluid on my garage floor due to a porous transmission case. Complete BS from a company like Honda who is suppose to have a reputation of "Legendary Reliability". I used to have a different opinion about Honda before I bought the Odyssey 3 months ago and that opinion was based on my "good" experience with an '05 Accord & an '09 CR-V. Luckily I still own my Accord but I regret trading in the CR-V on the Odyssey. I wish could turn back time.
I agree a new Honda shouldn't leak transmission oil. I drove my '01 117K miles and the transmission is showing some early signs of failing.

JD Powers rated the 2010 Odyssey 2.5 stars out of 5 for predicted reliability.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/Honda/Odyssey/2010/Minivan/

However, Consumer Reports rated the same 2010 van "Above Average".

·
Registered
63 Posts
Niceody said:
I agree a new Honda shouldn't leak transmission oil. I drove my '01 117K miles and the transmission is showing some early signs of failing.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/Honda/Odyssey/2010/Minivan/

I guess Honda can't influence the outcome of a JD Powers survey the same way they can influence Consumer Reports with $$$...hence a better rating with Consumer Reports. DIRTY!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
NY Times Article

Quite the article. Hope they decide to make good on their "reliable" product. Transmission failure at less than 100K. Honda charging more than local AAMCO so looking to make a nice profit on their own error.
Lisa

·
Registered
539 Posts
Welcome Lisa, if you spend some time here searching, there are probably hundreds of threads about this transmission issue (well, '99-01 4-speeds, and then the '02-04 5-speeds), it's well known. Honda has already done everything they are going to do about it. Cars get old, warranties expire, car companies really, really don't care about your car after the warranty expires, they want you to either pay them to fix it (dealers make more profits in the back then they do in the front), or buy a new car from them. Period.

Honda did extend the warranty on the '99-01 trannies wayyyy past their standard warranty; the original owner of my 2001 got TWO replacement transmissions put in under warranty, so I have to say that Honda did go above and beyond what they had to do. They had a crappy design for YEARS and really didn't fix it. Lots of car companies do the same thing, unfortunately.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
A Problem Honda swept under the carpet for many years......Not a company I would want to do business with again. Only did a recall when they had no other option,,,,,,

And then there is Mazda, recalling cars for Spiders all on their own....Take Note Honda!!! Learn.....You can not survive on what you "used to be" much longer.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
A Problem Honda swept under the carpet for many years......Not a company I would want to do business with again. Only did a recall when they had no other option,,,,,,

And then there is Mazda, recalling cars for Spiders all on their own....Take Note Honda!!! Learn.....You can not survive on what you "used to be" much longer.
Oh that kinda sounds like Toyota.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Oh that kinda sounds like Toyota.

In case you missed the recent news.......There was nothing wrong with the gas pedals or electronics in the Toyota's.....

Honda tranny issues were and are a sickening reality for owners

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
In case you missed the recent news.......There was nothing wrong with the gas pedals or electronics in the Toyota's.....

Honda tranny issues were and are a sickening reality for owners
I wasn't talking about the recent news. You were talking about Honda pushing things under the carpet. If I remember correctly Toyota did the same thing before they came out with all there recalls. And Toyota only did a recall when they also had no other option.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I wasn't talking about the recent news. You were talking about Honda pushing things under the carpet. If I remember correctly Toyota did the same thing before they came out with all there recalls. And Toyota only did a recall when they also had no other option.

And as we found out.....they had no reason

·
Registered
3 Posts
Swept under the carpet is right! Contacting headquarters and putting in complaint to NHTSA as I find it a disgrace that it is well-documented,etc. and they are not willing to own up to it. "old" reputation won't work for long. Lisa

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Ah, yes...the killer Toyota carpet. "A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse"...or a small hook to keep the carpet from bunching up underneath the brake pedal.

And the sludge that even an AmSOil oil filter can't stay ahead of (EaO57, IIRC).

And their owner porous tranny cases (SIL still dealing with that on a 2005 Sienna).

All the car companies seem to be the same. Warranty's over, so is their concern.

Then again, both of our Odys are cruising past 100,000 miles with mostly hard, short city miles (my 2001, sold to a friend's BIL, is probably close to 200,000 miles). No complaints, and counting myself lucky.

Thankfully, I won't buy GM or Chrysler again. I may find myself buying a Ford in the future.

OF

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Last week, my friend's 2000 Accord EX (4 banger) lost its tranny. He has 125K miles on his Accord. It jerks and slips from 1 - 2. He also has a 2007 Oddy Touring that I have mentioned a couple of times before. He won't be buying any more Hondas. 'nuff said. :D

Honda should have smartened up. Instead, they took a gamble and now, they are going to come to a rude realization that their gamble failed. I make it a point to enlighten the masses at work and friends and family on how reliable my 2001 Accord has been. I thought the 4 bangers were relatively unaffected. Well, they're in the same boat except at a bit higher mileage.

I still stand by my statements that Toyota problems are NOT the same. People can keep bringing up the gas pedal thing, as WW clearly mentioned, there was NO need for a recall and Toyota did NOT hide facts. There was nothing to hide for Toyota. As to the sludge problems. Yes there were those. But the numbers were staggeringly low. Like I have said before, I have NOT heard one person complain about their Toyota (no sludge issue no brakes issue no run away cars). But over 75% of my friends and coworkers who have had a Honda have had their tranny replaced.

This is not going to end well for Honda. :(

Before Honda fans come out of the wood work, I drive 2 Hondas and a Nissan. I do NOT have a Toyota and have never had a Toyota. So, please don't classify me as a Toyota fan as I am not one of them either.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

JDPower.com | Odyssey

Sort of apples and oranges - the first is an overall view of the reliability of the vehicle, the second is a rating of it's reliability relative to similar vehicles - also, I believe the consumer reports reliability rating is based on people filling out the survey, rather than independent tests.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Recommendations for longevity

I just bought an '01 with 208K miles and a Jasper transmission at 165K. The P.O. is known to me (my boss) and I think that they must have driven it conservatively to have gone that far on the original box. I am also a conservative driver but a failed auto box is essentially a total for me. Besides changing the fluid as recommended, how about adding an in-line cooler ahead of the transmission? Is there a recommended kit? I have a cooler on hand but no knowledge whether it is appropriate for this particular vehicle. Engine seems to be excellent and I'm about to put its second timing belt on. Mild acceleration will presumably help.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
I just bought an '01 with 208K miles and a Jasper transmission at 165K. The P.O. is known to me (my boss) and I think that they must have driven it conservatively to have gone that far on the original box. I am also a conservative driver but a failed auto box is essentially a total for me. Besides changing the fluid as recommended, how about adding an in-line cooler ahead of the transmission? Is there a recommended kit? I have a cooler on hand but no knowledge whether it is appropriate for this particular vehicle. Engine seems to be excellent and I'm about to put its second timing belt on. Mild acceleration will presumably help.
Jasper mandates an add-on cooler. So, if you have a Jasper, odds are you already have an additional cooler.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I guess Honda can't influence the outcome of a JD Powers survey the same way they can influence Consumer Reports with $$$...hence a better rating with Consumer Reports. DIRTY!!!
Please explain how Honda can "influence Consumer Reports with $$$" as CR accepts no advertising or other fees. It buys its vehicles anonymously from dealers and tests them using its own equipment and facilities.

Compare that to JD Power, which sells its survey results to automakers, and charges them hefty fees to be able to cite those results in their advertising.

Further, when you click the JD Power link, the predicted reliability is 4.5 stars, NOT 2.5.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
when you click the JD Power link, the predicted reliability is 4.5 stars, NOT 2.5.
I noticed that, too - however, if you click on the "View Honda Odyssey Ratings" link, the scores are very different (that's where the 2.5 comes from) - the discrepancy makes me wonder if either the overall number is from a different car, or the individual scores are from a different car

JDPower.com | Odyssey

1 - 20 of 31 Posts