Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Honda Transmission Problem Root Cause and a Fix??

736K views 1K replies 238 participants last post by  Odd Essay 
#1 ·
Tranny Problem

My 99 Ody started to have tranny problem from131Kmiles. The problems are, from park to reverse takes several seconds and shift hard. At cold weather, first to second will slip, after warmed up, it jerky, and it gets worse and worse. I also have code P740. I almost got somebody rebuilt my tranny. Fortunately, I found the problem and fixed it last week. The problem on my tranny is filters get clogged. One is right under the shift lock solinoid valve. The other one is right underneath the linear solinoid valve. There are actually four pipes, three of them have steel mesh filter in it. They all 8mm dia but different length. The filter clogged completely is the middle one (8X26mm). I took it out and clean it and the problem gone.
I hope this information helps.

#2 ·
Re: Tranny Problem

jofei said:
My 99 Ody started to have tranny problem from131Kmiles. The problems are, from park to reverse takes several seconds and shift hard. At cold weather, first to second will slip, after warmed up, it jerky, and it gets worse and worse. I also have code P740. I almost got somebody rebuilt my tranny. Fortunately, I found the problem and fixed it last week. The problem on my tranny is filters get clogged. One is right under the shift lock solinoid valve. The other one is right underneath the linear solinoid valve. There are actually four pipes, three of them have steel mesh filter in it. They all 8mm dia but different length. The filter clogged completely is the middle one (8X26mm). I took it out and clean it and the problem gone.
Thanks for sharing!

I have no idea where are these valves. Could you educate with pictures/links etc.?

Are we talking external location that can be reached easily?

Regards!

#3 ·
Re: Tranny Problem

jofei said:
Someone else care to commet on this. I find it interesting......

#4 ·
Linear solinoid in tranny

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...cgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=AT++++++SENSOR-SOLENOID+(4AT)

Go to this link. The linear solinoid is part # 10. Part #4 is the tube clogged badly in my van. The linear solinoid pretty much regulate the hydraulic pressure in the tranny. At one point, I had code, indicate pressure switch is bad. Most probably is caused by the hydraulic pressure in the tranny.

#5 ·
Jofei, your posts got my attention. I have a 2002 with 110K and the original tranny. Runs great, fresh fluid crossed fingers. Anyway, your advise on removing and cleaning out those tubes on the linear solenoids may be the silver bullet that prolongs the limited life of our transmissions. Was this a difficult job to do? Did you need to buy parts, such as new gaskets, bolts, o-rings, etc.?

I have been looking for a way to get to these screens that I had read elsewhere about.

#6 · (Edited)
I think this is the page that "jofei" is trying to post: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...=KA4AT&catcgry5=AT++++++SENSOR-SOLENOID+(4AT)

It looks like the 3 feed pipes under the A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve A and B do have screens on them. On page 14-133 of the Service Manual it recommends replacing the gasket on the transmission housing and the 3 o-rings for the pipes.

Please note that these parts are for the 4-speed transmission for 1999-2001 Odysseys.

Silver bullet indeed...

#7 ·
Yes, New Dad New Van is right. That's the page I tried to post. The time I remove my linear solinoid, I couldn't get new o-ring and gasket from local Honda dealer. So I did not replace them. But the o-ring is same for all Ody from 99 to 08. Pipes are different length. When replace the pipe back to tranny, be careful don't put the short pipe into deeper hole. you will be in deep trouble. I guess that's one of the reason Honda make them all same length on the newer tranny. The other filter is right under shift solinoid assy. Part # 9. Also need to replace. They are in the same area.

#8 ·
Interesting. Very interesting.

Any way you can post pix jofei? I understand you can't open her back up but if you could post pix of the area where these parts are located and perhaps circle what needs to be removed to get to these, it would be awesome for the readership.

:)

Reactions: dunbray
#9 ·
If you can access ALLDATA. There are a lot of useful information. The linear solinoid is under battery and air flow tube, and next to ATF dipstick. You will have to remove the ATF cooler hose and remove the bolt securing the harnes cover. To replace the shift lock solinoid, you will have to remove the harness cover bolt as well. Before I clean up the clogged pipe, I could only drive my ODY 4 miles to bus stop at 45 mph max. Now I am driving 65mph and 30 miles a day. I need to change ATF and will take picture over the weekend.

#10 ·
Took a look last night at the area mentioned above (right next to the ATF dipstick) and it appears kind of cramped quarters - you must have removed the battery and tray to access? 2 connectors and 4 bolts it looks like.

#11 ·
#12 ·
New Dad New Van said:
Took a look last night at the area mentioned above (right next to the ATF dipstick) and it appears kind of cramped quarters - you must have removed the battery and tray to access? 2 connectors and 4 bolts it looks like.
That's why I asked for the Pix as the online sites do not display the other stuff around the area when the darn car is fully assembled and in running condition. :D :D :D

:)

BTW. Any thoughts on splitting this topic as this seems to be a very intresting discussion probably warranting its own thread. :)

#13 ·
I think if you peel the section off and create a catchy thread title you will entice more discussion of this topic - which I think it warrants IMO. If "watt-man" is still lurking here, I would be interested if he has any comments...

#15 · (Edited)
jlkwiththree said:
From the same site I navigated to the 2002 KA5AT transmission and reviewed the scematic: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...=KA5AT&catcgry5=AT++++++SENSOR-SOLENOID+(5AT)

The basic design of these tubes and their location look similar to the 4AT. If I get a chance in the next month to try this myself, I will post pics. That is if my daughter returns from Washington, DC. with my camera.
It seems to make good sense. If starved for fluid, that would obviously lead to overheating, cooked ATF, etc.

For the 5-speed, this procedure is located on page 14-361 (Valves A & B) and page 14-363 (Valve C) in the Shop Manual.

Maybe if I get a bit ambitious in the next few weeks, I may order the O-rings gaskets and give her a try on mine. I've always had the F to R (or verse-vica) delay on mine. Makes you wonder if during break-in on the tranny itself (which is when the vast majority of debris would be created), these pipes get restricted. Thus, many folks have had the R to D delay since "nearly day 1".

JOFEI, how long did it take you to do this on your 4 speed?

Others, is JOFEI the first to have found this? I can't believe that would be the case. Somebody else must have done this all ready. I need to do a search on here.

Edit: I'll probably combine this maintenance with changing my "mysterious & ellusive non-existant" ATF filter on the tranny housing. ;)

#16 · (Edited)
#17 ·
Mainly I had experience replace my lock-up solenoid couple of weeks ago. It didn't take too much time to remove it (30 minutes). But I have to soak the 8X26 pipe in the gas overnight, and spray with WD40 next morning, and finally use a old tooth brush to brush the dirt off the steel mesh. Probably better off order all the parts ahead of time. The difficult parts for me is the harness cover, I tried my best to make sure I don't screw up any of the wire connection.
I will take picture over the weekend.

#18 · (Edited)
A can of brake cleaner would probably do the trick.

Thanks again JOFEI. Keep us posted.

I need to go back and see if member BAHMED eventually had to replace his tranny after performing this procedure (see third linked thread in my post above). I'll have to get to that later. I'll not be around tomorrow (out of town). I need to head to bed.

Edit: Nevermind. I must be tired........He did end up replacing it. It's towards the end of the tread.

#19 ·
herrhaus, I sent you a PM. Sounds like you're thinking the same way I'm thinking, and that is the potentially clogged ATF feed tubes may be causing some problems with clutch engagement (or disengagement?), i.e., not fully forcing the selected clutch pack to fully engage (slipping) or disengage (dragging).

I've got to read that fluid schematic again. Either way, I agree with your hypothesis: not enough fluid to make the clutch pack do what we want it to do can't be good.

OF

#21 ·
It's important to note that this is a pre-02 Ody. Those 4 speed trannies did NOT have the spin-on ATF filter that the 5 speed units have.

Five speed units shouldn't experience this unless the filter is so choked that it goes into bypass mode.

My tranny has 126,000 miles on it to date (at least 12,000 towing a popup trailer) and I've had no shifting issues. ATF filter replaced at just over 100k. Never had burnt or blackened fluid.

#23 ·
This may be the biggest preventative maintenance to avoid a transmission problem. I have 187k on my original and have not installed an external filter mentioned on this forum. However, I may put forth the effort to clean the parts mentioned here.

Jofei - I look forward to the pictures. About how much time would you estimate it would take to removal the parts, clean them up as you did, and re-install.

Thanks,

#24 ·
I took the pictures this morning when I change ATF.
My estimate time to do this PM is around 2 to 3 hours, it depends upon your skill level and how much are you familiar with your ODY. I am not a professional tech, only work on car maybe once every 3 months, and I didn't expect the pipe was clogged so badly, so it took me quiet long time. But it wasn't my first time work that area, I change all the oil pressure switches and lock up solenoid before.

I read New Dad New Van posted previously, those service bulletins. very good stuff. Thanks

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.