Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1201 - 1220 of 1233 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had my trans replaced by a remanufactured one about approximately 97,000 miles ago at the dealership.

I have never had the pressure switches replaced, should I be considering to do that as PM?

It shifts fine at the present. i do the simple drain and fill with DW-1 every 15,000 miles for last 4 yrs.

·
Registered
14,056 Posts
As long as they work, just leave them. My wife's 03 had a pressure switch die and got replaced. My 02 had an issue where it would not go into 5th. Happened a couple of times. I would just shift to D3 and back up to D and it would shift into 5th. Never replaced it and it hasn't done it an a couple of years. I replace the fluid every other oil change or about every 12-15k. Have since I bought it at 36K. Now at 240K.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just an update. Serviced the solenoids and changed the filter. Ended up changing the engine mounts as well since I already had it apart and also worked on the thermostat and coolant. The Ody is back to it's normal self. I'll probably add on a trans-cooler and hopefully get more miles out of her. Thanks to everyone's input.
A lot of changes since I last logged in here at '15. Just another update on the transmission. I'm at 250k and just haven't really used the van that much due to telecommuting. 3rd gear slipping again so I don't have confidence taking her on long trips. I also added a third of a bottle of Lucas transmission fix and seem to help a little bit but I figured it just made for a thicker viscosity. Just learn to live with it and wait 'til she keels over.

·
Registered
521 Posts
A lot of changes since I last logged in here at '15. Just another update on the transmission. I'm at 250k and just haven't really used the van that much due to telecommuting. 3rd gear slipping again so I don't have confidence taking her on long trips. I also added a third of a bottle of Lucas transmission fix and seem to help a little bit but I figured it just made for a thicker viscosity. Just learn to live with it and wait 'til she keels over.
3rd gear slipping is probably a transmission rebuild , you literally sound like you had the same problem I did. when it tries to go into 3rd gear it sometimes just revs high but can't get it into the next gear right? I posted pictures of my 3rd gear in these forums

·
Registered
309 Posts
3rd gear slipping is probably a transmission rebuild , you literally sound like you had the same problem I did. when it tries to go into 3rd gear it sometimes just revs high but can't get it into the next gear right? I posted pictures of my 3rd gear in these forums
Pretty much the same situation as yours. I bought the van new and do feel the revs are higher on shifting to 3rd. If it does slip, I just let go of the gas pedal, shift to neutral. then back to drive and it seems to work. I've had the TSB recall done where they run an extra fluid line for added lubrication but that just bought you time. I'm just waiting for the clutch pak to fail. Still disappointing to see since I've had higher mileage cars and have had no issues on their original transmissions. Saw your post and will definitely check it out. Thanks.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Pretty much the same situation as yours. I bought the van new and do feel the revs are higher on shifting to 3rd. If it does slip, I just let go of the gas pedal, shift to neutral. then back to drive and it seems to work. I've had the TSB recall done where they run an extra fluid line for added lubrication but that just bought you time. I'm just waiting for the clutch pak to fail. Still disappointing to see since I've had higher mileage cars and have had no issues on their original transmissions.
Actually your 3rd clutch pack has already failed, what's happening is that its metal-on-metal friction .your friction disks are already sheared off. The thrust washer for the 3rd clutch pack is what's needed if you decide to rebuild it. I have articles and videos particularly for this. If you search for: found out what's wrong with my transmission ,pics ,you'll see what your third clutch looks like and if you search : quick guide on how to rebuild transmission you'll see how to what causes it. And if you go to my how to tear down and rebuild 2002 Honda Odyssey transmission you learn exactly the steps to rebuild it, just search my profile

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jofei, your posts got my attention. I have a 2002 with 110K and the original tranny. Runs great, fresh fluid crossed fingers. Anyway, your advise on removing and cleaning out those tubes on the linear solenoids may be the silver bullet that prolongs the limited life of our transmissions. Was this a difficult job to do? Did you need to buy parts, such as new gaskets, bolts, o-rings, etc.?

I have been looking for a way to get to these screens that I had read elsewhere about.
I got a question: I reinstalled the largest tube after I started the car and now can’t get the tube to go in the right way. How can I get it to seat properly.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I got a question: I reinstalled the largest tube after I started the car and now can’t get the tube to go in the right way. How can I get it to seat properly.
the tube has a screen, it is supposed to go in a certain orientation, double check that you have the screen facing the right way. I think the screen faces down, but double check that with another source, or just try it

·
Registered
8,683 Posts
Yep, the screen end goes into the transmission.

Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Okay guys ive searched for 3 days.
Our van going all of a sudden shuttered like crazy and then nuetral.
If I unplug battery plug it back in it will drive fine then shutter in and out of gear hard then hit nuetrual. Doesn't feel like it's shifting just not going into gear.
I checked the resistance on the solinoids and the linier on top of trans failed at 5.6
Ordered a new one (cheap amazon) that tested 5. From what I read 12 to 25 is good. The screens were clean. I will check the screens on the other solinoids today and install the new linier today anyways since I don't have a gasket.

Maybe the new one is shit also? Anyone have a new linier solinoid they could test for me? Thanks

No I didn't have codes scanned as I didn't have access to one.

I did drain ATF through cooler hose pushing out ATF into bucket full of magnants and kept pouring it back in. Then I did a 4 liter fluid change.
(Second on within 2000km)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Check the grounding from the chassy to the transmission. Not sure where this is on a 2002 but I have seen similar symptom on my 2001. It is hard to see, is somewhere behind the driver wheel .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone have the ohm rating on a new fresh solinoids?
I'll check grounds the big main one is connected and there is a grounding kit installed on the motor already.

It's apart now. If I stick it all together in sure it will run fine brefily then drop into nuetral. Maybe a limp mode? Ko

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Jregamey,
Next time it does it, just wait (engine off and ignition off and key out) for around the same amount of time it usually takes you to disconnect and reconnect the battery, or a little longer and see if it resets by itself. If so, than it is NOT an electrical issue.
Probably not, but that could help narrow down the cause.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Stuck it all back together
No forward gear. Doesn't even sound like it tries to shift. Reverse worse after 4 seconds it slowly goes into reverse and works fine..
I did put the "new solinoid" in. At least the old one would actually work and go into gear. Now does nothing. No switching.

·
Registered
8,683 Posts
The 2 solenoids on top of the transmission should test at 5 ohms.

Also, apply 12V and test that they move freely.

Your original solenoids are probably more reliable than the new one from Amazon.

Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm gonna jack up the van and get at the solinoid underneath. Under the starter. So far I have found no screens clogged

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well I asked and looked around. I got 12 to 24 spec. I tested orignal one and it read 5.6 new one 5ohm. Ugh. What a waste of money. Figured it was bad because of the information I got. Frick

·
Registered
22 Posts
Update. It does go into drive gears and reverse just takes a while to get into those gears.

Fluid level checked while vehicle is off

1201 - 1220 of 1233 Posts