Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Honda True Warranty experience

1581 Views 32 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  jdm06ody
Hi guys,

I have a 2016 Ody purchased after being Honda True Certified with 107k miles.

The Certification comes with a 5k miles / 100 days warranty that covers many things, including suspension.

This is what it says under "covered items" on the booklet:

Font Circle Magenta Paper Number

My van squeals when going over speed bumps and also when going into the driveway, and I took it to the dealer to have it fixed under the warranty.

They were not incredibly happy, and said that this is a high mileage vehicle, to what I responded that the car has just been certified a few hundred miles ago and has a warranty covering those items, so if they are not in proper working order they should fix them.

They told me they will take a look and let me know,

What do you think its going to happen?
I will share the whole story here...

Pedro
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Sorry, Charlie. It's normal wear and tear, not covered by warranty. We can replace the suspension components for a sale price of $2500, though."
If the warranty covers an item for X amount of miles and that item quits working properly during that mileage, there is no wear and tear excuse in my book.

We'll see what they say, my service advisor (who is really nice) told me that if they find something broken or leaking (a strut leaking) they will replace it.

Let's see what they do,
Pedro

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Squeaks are not covered by any warranty, original or certified. Failed parts are.
Squeaks in suspension happen for a lack of lubrication in the shock absorber, normally because it is leaking.

A leaking shock absorber is covered by a standard warranty, and mine specifically states that it does.

Not sure where you are getting that info

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,355 Posts
Squeaks in suspension happen for a lack of lubrication in the shock absorber, normally because it is leaking.

A leaking shock absorber is covered by a standard warranty, and mine specifically states that it does.

Squeaks can happen for plenty of reasons. His point is that the squeak itself is not covered by any warranty. A part failure causing the squeak may be covered, but not the squeak directly.

· Registered
79 Posts
Shocks are easy enough check. It is very unlikely that they certified your car with leaking shocks. They would have to be very dishonest to do that. If you have a Jack and can take wheels off you can check yourself. Other than that squeaks could be very hard to identify. It is annoying but typically doesn’t affect drivability.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
not sure where you're getting yours, warranty guy...
Im getting mine from the warranty booklet that specifically says that it is covered.

For context, here it is:

If you open it you'll see there is a section for covered items and another for non-covered items, specifically described as wear and tear items. Suspension is in the covered area, and not in the wear and tear one, like brakes.

Pedro

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shocks are easy enough check. It is very unlikely that they certified your car with leaking shocks. They would have to be very dishonest to do that. If you have a Jack and can take wheels off you can check yourself. Other than that squeaks could be very hard to identify. It is annoying but typically doesn’t affect drivability.
Thanks for the info!
I don't have a lot of confidence in this inspection since I have been at the dealer now for three different issues:

-TB tensioner was very loud when cold (fixed under warranty).
-TPMS light kept coming on.
-An intake air tube was cracked (fixed under warranty).

Not sure why this was certified with those issues, but makes me think there might be more going on, and thus I wanted to take it for the suspension as well...

Pedro Pozo

· Registered
7,355 Posts
That third issue is usually a sign of worn out motor mounts.

· Registered
7,355 Posts
I don't have VCM, but when the motor mounts went out on my Odyssey, all I really felt was a highway vibration. I didn't even think it was motor mount related at first.

· Registered
195 Posts

The squeak is not covered as I mentioned but if it from a failed part, like a leaking shock absorber it could be. The warranty link you mentioned also specifically excludes rattles:
Rattles; odors; water leaks; air leaks; wind noise; vibration; deterioration;
discoloration; distortion; deformation and/or fading.

In my opinion I don't believe the "certified" really means anything more than a warranty.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update for everybody:

Turns out Honda (corporate) called me, I expressed my concerns and then they went ahead and covered the shock absorbers for me.

They will not however replace the suspension mounts or any other part, and then I'll have to perform an alignment for 70$.

Great experience with the True Honda Certified warranty!

· Registered
2003 Odyssey EX-L/NAVI 280,000 miles
99 Posts
So do you or dealer’s mechanic observe any actual leakage on the shocks? Front or rear ones? Did they replace one pair (as in 2 dampers)?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts