Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey LX with just under 30,000 miles on it. Last riday my wife was driving the van and the check engine light came on. I did some checking into my maintenance records before I took the van to the Honda dealer this morning and found a letter I had received from American Honda Motor Co., Inc. in the sumer of 2005 advising me that a warranty extension to 8 years and 80,000 miles had been given to the owners of some 2003 Odysseys for the EGR Valve due to the buildup of carbon causing the valve to fail and the EGR warning light to come on. This would be also evidenced by surging at light throttle.

My van had been doing the surging for maybe a year or more from time to time but of course, I didn't remember the letter.

So, the EGR valve is what has to be replaced. I was one month past the 8years and 50,000 miles under the 80,000. I asked the service advisor at the Honda dealer if Honda would honor the warranty even though it was out by a month. After checking, I was told that Honda would not.

I want to write to Honda and complain myself. Can someone tell me where to write to be most effective. Of, should I call someone?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
You can stop the pain, and save the postage, by purchasing an EGR valve with gasket from the dealer for about $140 and using a 12 mm wrench to remove the two nuts holding the valve and then replace same. Some member did this in the dealer's parking lot. :) The valve is in the open and easy to get to.

On line price is about $95.

Honda Automotive Parts

Here is the TSB to get you started. Your 03 should just require EGR replacement and not drilling out the EGR port on the intake manifold.

http://home.comcast.net/~johnpitman/a05-026.pdf

The longer you wait, you are flirting with serious engine damage -- but if you want to drive it like you stole it , and still want to write, be prepared to wait 2-3 weeks for a reply.

http://automobiles.honda.com/information/customer-relations.aspx

·
Registered
419 Posts
Service Advisors lie every day. They get paid on commision and they dont on Warranty Work, speak with the service MANAGER and see if they would contact Honda and see about getting you goodwill for the repair. One month and well under the mileage. Do you have a relationship with this dealer? (ie, all services there or have bought several cars from them?)

If that doesnt work call Honda (800-999-1009) directily and speak with a service rep and let them know your situation.

I have been in two situations that I was out of warrantly and was given goodwill since I had a good relationship with my dealer. Once with my '04 EXL and just recently with my 03 TL.

Good luck

Pat

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have already had the work done at the dealer. Now I want to see if Honda will reimburse. Thanks for the info on how to do it myself. I am 72 years old and don't want to do it myself.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have already had the work done at the dealer. Now I want to see if Honda will reimburse. Thanks for the info on how to do it myself. I am 72 years old and don't want toy do it myself.
I didn't peg you for a daily driver with a 8 year old vehicle under 30k. Glad you at least got it taken care of. Do try and call and see if Honda would re-enburse you. Also, Find another dealer. Just my .02.

Pat

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just received a call from a representitive of Americn Honda. The young lady informed me that American Honda is still refusing to participate in any way in the cost of replacing the EGR valve at slightly under 30,000 miles and just 40 days over the 8 year extended warranty period. I told the representative that this was not acceptable. I don't know if I have any other recource other than never buying another Honda product. I really expected more from Honda.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts