Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting Honda's add-on security system, part # 08E51-S0X-100. HandA sells the kit with the attachment kit, part #08E55-S0X-100F for $156 + shipping.

Does anyone have this setup? If so, what do you like or dislike about it?

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jim F:
I'm considering getting Honda's add-on security system, part # 08E51-S0X-100. HandA sells the kit with the attachment kit, part #08E55-S0X-100F for $156 + shipping.

Does anyone have this setup? If so, what do you like or dislike about it?

</font>
Jim,
Saw your other posts and sorry about all the misfortune you've been having. As for the alarm, I installed it when I first purchased the 99 EX almost 2 years ago. At the time little was known about the system or how it even operated. It took me over 2 months to convince Honda that there was no protection for the hood! Now of course, all this is old news and they offer a hood switch kit.
Overall the system works fine, it integrates well with the existing remote. Unlike the new 2001 models that come from the factory with a similar system, there is one big difference. The alarms for the pre-2001 models have a valet switch. I don't know if this is better or not, but its there.
The 2 big negatives I feel about the system are 1. No separate siren (as in the optional LX system and no you can't get one to work with it) and 2. No auto door lock/unlock that works with the ignition.
I installed 2 identical Code Alarms in my Accords years ago and they both turn on the dome lights and unlock the doors via the remote, and when you start the car, they dome light goes off and doors lock automatically. Since the dome lights are already taken care of by the existing remote, the feature I miss is the auto door lock.
I understand some aftermarket alarm companies may make a device that can be integrated with the Ody's OEM that could add this functionality but I'm still researching.
In the meantime, the horn is plenty loud and annoying so the siren isn't so much of an issue anymore for me. The valet switch is ok but it works strangely. Its a momentary pushbutton as opposed to a toggle switch. You hold the button in for a few seconds, when the LED blinks once the system is disarmed, twice, its armed.
The annoying part is you need to have the key out of the ignition when doing this or it won't work. I've also noticed if I open the door and the system is armed, the alarm doesn't go off right away. I know when its getting ready to by watching the LED blink rapidly and within a few seconds it blasting. Its like anything else, it just takes getting used to.
Good luck,
=Hy=

[This message has been edited by hip (edited 04-08-2001).]

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have 10 channels Code-Alarm Competition on my Camry which required massive electrical re-wiring but when I bought my Odyssey, I promised myself to keep it simple. (my wife is still trying to remember which channel control which function), so I installed Honda alarm on my 99 EX.

Besides what hip say, there are a couple other bad things about it. One is the lack of shock sensor, it has a built-in glass breakage sensor on the module and Two is the system inability to auto arm without putting key in the ignition. If you disarm, open the door, close the door and walk-away, the system will not auto arm, you need to arm it with the remote.

Car as big as the Odyssey should have at least 2 shock sensors (front & back) or 2 Microwave Intrusion Sensors.

I like it because it is a lot easier and neater to install, no cutting or splicing.

You also need to buy the Hood Switch kit and attachment (which Honda mistakenly classified it as for LX model only in 1999). I don't use the attachment because I don't want to pay 28 or so dollars for 1 wire inside 1/4" split loom and connectors on both end plus the grommet which has a short wire for foglights, I do my own wiring.

I too wish it has built-in ignition controlled doorlocks, but I found a solution by installing DEI module. The doors are locked automatically when I turn the key to ON position and unlock at ACC position.

If I am going to do it over again, I would probably just buy the Alarm Attachment and hook it up to an Aftermarket Alarm because I also have Remote Starter so the whole system consists of too many modules and wires now.

Harry
'99 CS EX

·
Registered
148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hgani:

Besides what hip say, there are a couple other bad things about it. One is the lack of shock sensor, it has a built-in glass breakage sensor on the module and Two is the system inability to auto arm without putting key in the ignition. If you disarm, open the door, close the door and walk-away, the system will not auto arm, you need to arm it with the remote.

I too wish it has built-in ignition controlled doorlocks, but I found a solution by installing DEI module. The doors are locked automatically when I turn the key to ON position and unlock at ACC position.

Harry
'99 CS EX
</font>
The missing shock sensor feature is true, if the vehicle is jolted or heavy vibration occurs, the alarm will not respond. But after thinking about it, I believe this could be both good and bad. Obviously, if someone tries to tow or lift the van, there is nothing to set off the alarm. On the other hand, I park in a garage where some motorcyclists park. Since several of these bikers have modified exhaust systems and sound reverberates off the walls, they literally set off dozens of car alarms as they pass by. I personally think they do this as amusement because they always slow down and rev their engines along the way, who knows?

Actually, Harry reminded me of something I had forgotten about, the control module does have a 3-way switch you can set. "Auto-Lock", "Auto" and "Manual". In the "Auto-Lock" position the system will rearm itself after a set period of time if no one enters after disarming. Without checking the manual, I believe it will also lock the doors too. In the "Auto" position, the alarm will re-arm after a set time but will not lock the doors. And in the manual mode, you lock and unlock doors and set and disable the alarm manually. I set mine up in the "Auto" mode and was afraid it might lock my keys in if I went to get gas and neglected to disable the system through the valet switch. Of course if you leave your key in the ignition, it may not be able to lock the doors? I'll have to review the manual again.

I will have to look into the DEI module that Harry is referring to so I can get the door to lock when driving off. Thanks for info!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hy, the module is DEI 452T door lock pulse generator and since you already have Honda alarm, all the needed connections (if I remember correctly, it's 5 wires) is right at the alarm module. The module costs about $14.

I always carry credit card spare key in my wallet from AAA just in case I lock myself out of the car.

[This message has been edited by hgani (edited 04-08-2001).]

·
Registered
148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hgani:
Hy, the module is DEI 452T door lock pulse generator and since you already have Honda alarm, all the needed connections (if I remember correctly, it's 5 wires) is right at the alarm module. The module costs about $14.

I always carry credit card spare key in my wallet from AAA just in case I lock myself out of the car.

[This message has been edited by hgani (edited 04-08-2001).]
</font>
\

Thanks,
I will have to locate someone who sells this, did you buy it online or from a local supplier?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts