Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I am not a big believer in extended warranties. Why buy an auto that you think is going to break down that you would need an extended warranty?

Well in this case and all the gadgets on the Ody and past experience with the cost of auto repair, I am making an exception for auto extended warranties.

Let me share my story with you
I just purchased an EX Ody at Southeastern Honda in Palm Bay, FL this past Saturday within an hours time. The night before, my wife and I were talking about trading in our '98 Lexus GS300 for a minivan. The Ody and Sienna popped in my head as prime candidates. I did some research and narrowed it down to the Ody.

Well the next day, late in the afternoon at 5:30 PM I rolled in to the nearest Honda dealer and we were going to kick some tires. They happened to have a TW EX on the lot and available. The salesman said that it is rare to have one not presold. Normally I don't believe such a line but I was aware that Odys were high demand when I looked at them 2 years ago. My wife liked it. I liked it. Sold. We didn't go over warranties at all. We just went over financing which was 5.5% 60 months through a local credit union.

Now on to the honest warranties salepersons which is the subject of my post:b

I called back my dealership and asked them the cost of the 7/100/0 and was quoted $1600!!! I flatly said you are overcharging and said I will deal with another dealership on this service. Their story is the state of Florida does not allow them to mark up or discount warranties. I'm not sure if I believe this since Ryan6371 from St. Petersburgh, FL said he was quoted $1200. I wanted to buy the extended warranty at the same dealership so I could include it with my financing. I started reading these boards about two days ago and had the fortune of reading a post about the prices Tracy has been quoting. Looks like I'll be going through Tracy and just charge it to my credit card. I may ask if I can get Honda Care on a '98 CRV that is out of warranty.

FYI here is a price list from Tracy and her number if anyone else is interested.

Tracy McCrystal 800-264-3275.

Odyssey w/less than 12,000 miles and <1yr old

7/100,000/0 $875
6/100,000/0 $755
5/100,000/0 $665
7/75,000/0 $655
6/75,000/0 $625
5/75,000/0 $575
5/60,000/0 $465
4/60,000/0 $415

[This message has been edited by 2002EXODY (edited 01-31-2002).]

·
Registered
616 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2002EXODY:
First off, I am not a big believer in extended warranties. Why buy an auto that you think is going to break down that you would need an extended warranty? </font>
I totally agree. That is why I purchased another Honda.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2002EXODY:

Well in this case and all the gadgets on the Ody and past experience with the cost of auto repair, I am making an exception for auto extended warranties.
</font>
I am likely going to purchase an extended warrenty after learning more about the van and Hondas current quality policies.

(begin vent)
I find the Hondas currrent quality standards of only be just better then the competition to be maddening after coming from a 89 civic that was still running strong at 170K and had no rattles and other minor annoyances that the 2.5 year odyssey has.
(end vent)

BrianB

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just got off the phone with Tracy.... she said she sells >30 warranties/week. My dealer would not go below $895 for a 5yr/100000 mi warranty.. but she's sending me the forms for the same thing for $665!!??!??! I just can't understand how it is legit, but I've seen nothing but good things posted... someone tell me again :

Is this the same HondaCare warranty that I would be getting from my Honda dealer for $240 (30%) less??? PP

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yup.

Scott

·
Registered
2 Posts
picked up car from hersons honda on 2/23 in Rockville, MD after a two month wait. brought car at list, 7/100 warranty at 0 deductable for $975.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I feel the same way about the extended warranty as probably the majority of us that have bought it...don't like extended warranties, but felt it was important with all the gadgets.

I went by my local Honda dealer to see if they would match Tracy's price. After the guy picked his jaw up off the floor from disbelief at the price he examined the documents and affirmed to me that this was the real deal. I bought the policy and was very pleased with the efficiency Tracy had with the transaction and I'm very pleased with the dough I saved.

What I wonder is this: do all dealers have the same cost for these warranties? Or does a place like A-B Dealership get a better price since they sell so many? From what my local dealer said, the prices that Tracy is selling them for is about $15 under his cost. Could be B.S., but he told me this after it was clear that I wasn't buying anything from him - he actually was pretty decent about the whole thing.

-Erik

·
Registered
479 Posts
I normally don't buy extended warranties either. However, I did with my Odyssey because I drive a lot of miles (18-20K/year) which means my factory warranty would expire in only about 18 months. This would leave me with an out-of-warranty van that has a sophisticated (and expensive) navigation system, power doors that already worry me with their moans, groans and clunks (I know it is normal, but it's still disconcerting), and a new 5-speed, electronic transmission. Yes, I know it is a Honda (and my last three sedans have been Accords), but look at transmission and door problems that pre-2002 owners experienced. In fact, look at:

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000412.html

I did not get a discount when I bought my van that I could, at least, psychologically-bank for unxepected future repairs. So I did not feel like rolling the dice with my "full-price" investment ($33.5K). The last thing I want is to be hit with a big repair bill in month 19 and still have another 29 months of car payments.

The decision of buying a 5YR/100K warranty for $665 was pretty easy one for me. Heck, it is difficult to get out of a Honda (or any dealers) service department for less than a couple hundred bucks when you are just having a standard service. I shudder at the thought of the cost of a major repair. This way I get a little peace of mind for 5 years instead of just a year-and-a-half for a little over $11/month (I apologize to break it down that way because it reminds of the the classic "for just pennies a day" advertisements).

Don't get me wrong, I think my Odyssey is great so far, but I worry about the possibility that it might develop similiar quality issues that pre-2002 owners experienced and led to it's ranking on the "The Worst Used Cars" list (I still can't believe a Honda made this list).

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Please forgive my thick-headedness on this subject....

and this HondaCare warranty from Tracy will be Honored by any Honda dealer???

Thanks,
PP

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by peterparker:
Please forgive my thick-headedness on this subject....

and this HondaCare warranty from Tracy will be Honored by any Honda dealer???

Thanks,
PP
</font>
She sells the *official* Honda Care Warranty, the same one you would get if you bought a Honda Care Warranty from another dealer, if that is your question.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Does Hondacare have coverage with a deductable?

I think they sold me a 5yr/75000 with $50 deductable.

Can I return it? It's only 1 day old.

At the last minute of my deal I traded Undercoating and keyless entry for the HondaCare warranty. My salesman is pretty cool and could probably switch it back and get the extars added on next week. I could always go aftermarket for the 2 things a traded for it. What do you think?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mel_ody:
Does Hondacare have coverage with a deductable?

I think they sold me a 5yr/75000 with $50 deductable.

Can I return it? It's only 1 day old.

At the last minute of my deal I traded Undercoating and keyless entry for the HondaCare warranty. My salesman is pretty cool and could probably switch it back and get the extars added on next week. I could always go aftermarket for the 2 things a traded for it. What do you think?

Thanks
</font>
Yes, Honda has lower price for $50 deductable, People have posted that they got their money back when they found out Tracy has real good price, i belive they stated you can get full refund in 30 or 60 days, i forget witch, you should be able to find out on your HondaCare warranty paper work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you... I just needed to be hit in the head one more time for it to ge through. I still don't know why my dealer wouldn't budge on his $895 price, even though he knew about Tracy's Warranty offer of $665, and said he already lost several sales to her!?!? oh well... my gain.

PP

QUOTE]Originally posted by Maugham:
She sells the *official* Honda Care Warranty, the same one you would get if you bought a Honda Care Warranty from another dealer, if that is your question.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bumping this up so new members can see the best prices.

------------------
2002 TW EX
Weathertech interlocking floor and cargo mats.
Honda hood deflector.
Matching front window tint.
Mud guards.

·
Registered
169 Posts
extended warrenty

can you buy extended warrenty. after you purchase your car. Or does it have to be mand.. At the time of purchase. Just wondering.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I think Tracey can simply sell the warranties at this great price due to her volume. Just like a holdback from the manufacturer there probably is one too for warranties. Regardless it's well worth the savings and rather annoying to compare the huge quotes from our purchasing dealer finance staff. Even if she made $5 on each one...times that buy a few hundred warranties through Odyclub and that's some nice side money. We are now thinking about purchasing the upcoming Pilot too. Guess which dealerships I will be calling first? Yup, the ones that we patronize through this website, would be worth the savings even for the one way ticket expense!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts