Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Hood Chips

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  1ODY2NV 
#1 ·
I was washing our van this weekend and noticed many little paint chips. I was wondering whether anyone else is seeing this? If so, I might conclude that it is related to the shape--low front end or slope--and not the paint quality. In fact, I have some spots that look like something "plowed" into the paint and caused little wrinkles. However, given all the issues that have been raised here about the '01 SS color, which I have, I thought that I would check? Our van is only 4-1/2 months old and has at least a dozen little chips, most of which are more than 6" up from the front of the hood. In fact, we recently put the nose mask on and we seem to have contracted more chips since then.

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

#2 ·
Have you driven over any roads that have been freshly chip sealed recently? Most paint jobs will chip these days when subjected to road debris. Unless you have a Saturn with plastic body panels. You only can cover so much of the front up. The masks can get road debris underneath them and make it worse, let alone make rub marks on the finish. Not a good option in my opinion. The deflectors don't work much better than the immediate area they cover and produce drag. 3M's protective film can be used as a hood protector, but I don't think you'd want to cover the whole hood. Just remember, the faster you drive, the bigger the chips will be.

#3 ·
The Honda OEM air deflector does work. I do not have a single paint chip on the hood. There is a few scratches on the windshield, however, as the road debris are now deflected above the hood. On the other hand, the front bumper looks like a war zone.

------------------
Dan
'01 SS Odyssey EX

#6 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by errol:
Hi Jeff,

Sorry to hear about the paint chips.

I try not to follow too closely cars in front of me to avoid as much as possible the spray of dirt that gets kicked up.

Has worked so far.

Thanks,
Errol

</font>
I've not had any rock problems following other automobiles. I've got a chip or two in the hood and a nice little nick in the windshield thanks to a cement mixer I wound up following. I wasn't that close to him either. He hit a minor bump in the road and that shook loose a shower of pea gravel used in the cement mixture. It only lasted a second of two but it was enough to do the damage.

There are just some circumstances that can't be avoided.

Drive Safe,
Steve

#8 ·
I've had the same problem on my 01 GG EX (I bought 9/16/00. 13 Chips on hood. I had the nose mask since day 1. Lucky for me I was on vacation in Madison, Wisc this past summer (June 2001) and I took to the body shop at a Honda dealership I know. Honda rep was there that day along with the service manager. Guess what???? They repainted the hood for free under warranty. I played stupid at the dealership. I thought I would after topay $400.00 to repaint the hood due to road hazard. Check your hood again. Honda told me they found a flaw in the paint which caused a blisterunder the paint. This was enough to claim it under warranty. I now used a hood deflector instead of the top part of the mask. This works much better

#9 ·
1ODY2NV,

Thanks for the glimmer of hope. I will definitely look closely. I have noticed something that looks like dirt under the paint in a couple of places. I have been watching the area closely. Of course, getting someone to OK the repainting is the harder part.

Thanks again,

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

#10 ·
jvennitti

I know. I only noticed it after they showed me. I will feel like a bump. from a distance, I thought it was a ding.

Zimbrick Honda in Madison, Wisc told me a same number, 3 or 4 before mine had this on the the hood and the rear hatch to the right or left of the H logo. BTW all including mine were 2001 EX - 3 GG, 1 TW & 1 SS.

There was a post on here about tiny bumps on the hatch of by the Honda Logo. This a is defect in the sheet metal. Its weakest point cause possible blisters. I didn't have on the rear but just the hood.

Take your car to your dealer when the service manager is there or better yet the Honda rep also document this with Customer Relations. It was my understanding with the exception of the Northeast that American Honda will side with the dealer on a warranty repair less than $500.00.

Zimbrick Honda told me this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.