Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Ody EX has no insulation under the hood. I checked a 1998 Accord EX and it has insulation.

Does anyone else have insulation?

Should I have insulation?

------------------
2001 EX, White, Trailer Hitch, Back-up Sensor, Heartland Console, Mudflaps,comp/temp Mirror,Muth signal side mirrors, Honda Cargo Tray

·
Registered
368 Posts
2002's have the hood insulation. 2001's don't.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hood Insulation-If the 2002s have hood insulation, it is possible that the insulation would fit the 2001s. I wonder why the 1998 Honda Accords come fully insulated but the 2001 Ody's don't

Is there an advantage to have the insulation?

------------------
2001 EX, White, Trailer Hitch, Back-up Sensor, Heartland Console, Mudflaps,comp/temp Mirror,Muth signal side mirrors, Honda Cargo Tray

·
Registered
184 Posts
Advantages? Good insulation should diminish some noise from the engine, though I suspect a lot more comes through the firewall.

Others have speculated that heat through an uninsulated hood may be responsible for the paint problems seen by some '99-01 owners.

I don't know how much difference it'll make, but I will probably use a Dynamat or Cascade liner when I embark on my soundproofing rampage next spring.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dynamat or Cascade insulation? Is this an aftermarket product?

It figures that the insulation may cut down on any noise and could deflect engine heat.

If you use other than what the dealer offers, would you cut to fit? What adhesive would you use to apply it to the hood?

------------------

·
Registered
368 Posts
A couple of days ago, I met with "Ody" to pick up my Zaino order group buy from him and had a chance to compare his '02 with my '01. The hood appears to be exactly the same, with the same holes, braces, etc. in both of them. I suspect that the insulation for the '02 will probably retrofit to the '01. Maybe Trevor could give us a price for the insulation and the clips that hold it up, just for a comparison price for those who might want to add the hood insulation. I added an aftermarket hood insulation panel on one of my Volvos and it made a big difference in the amount of engine noise that came through to the cabin.

·
Registered
261 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by johnkalajian:
I added an aftermarket hood insulation panel on one of my Volvos and it made a big difference in the amount of engine noise that came through to the cabin.</font>
Ha! lovely! Well then, I will be interested in knowing the price of a '02 hood insulation (-V.S.-) an aftermarket product.
I'll try to find out...later

------------------

·
Registered
30 Posts
The 01 does not have hood insulation and my guess is that it should. Bet not having it causes the paint problems I have at the hood surface. Can we start something here and prove to Honda that these models need the insulation?

------------------
care taker of my wife's 01SSLXPR
Mud Guards-Kenwood Speakers-Cargo Tray-VTEC Emblem

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Missing hood insulation

Do you think that there are enough folks to start a deal on the insulation from Honda?

Is there an address we can write Honda?

------------------

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think a group buy is faster and less troublesome than running after Honda for this oversight. But maybe it's worth the try
if we have the time

------------------
care taker of my wife's 01SSLXPR
Mud Guards-Kenwood Speakers-Cargo Tray-VTEC Emblem

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Group Buy:

I'm in for a group buy. What would the cost be anyway?

------------------

·
Registered
127 Posts
Majestic Honda has the '98 Accord hood insulator for around $75, so that is probably close to what the '02 Ody insulation would cost. BTW, I'm also in for a group buy on the insulation (and I thought I was done!).

------------------
2001 EX
iVES
Infinity 652s/452s/105ts
Honda Wood Dash
Wheel Locks
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Cargo Cover
Roof Rails
Cassette Player
Heartland console
Foglights
Tranny Cooler

Coming up: In dash 6 CD Changer
Glove Box Light
Kelton Sub
Honda wood/leather steering wheel

·
Registered
43 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FrankBullitt:
A
dvantages? Good insulation should diminish some noise from the engine, though I suspect a lot more comes through the firewall.
Others have speculated that heat through an uninsulated hood may be responsible for the paint problems seen by some '99-01 owners.

B]</font>

At the same time the insulation could (potentially) increase the temperature under the hood. This could cause some problems to those parts that are operating on the edge.
Remember the recent Ford recently discovered 15 year problem with ignition modules.
Just a thought!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts