Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first leg involved climbing the very steep Cajon Pass on I-15 with serious headwinds via Santa Ana winds from So Cal's high desert.

We did not even get 20mpg on that first tank of gas, and maintaining 75mph through the mountains with all that gusting wind was a chore. Still trying to figure out why the low mpg's.....

...hmm, I wonder if having a Yakima Rocketbox 11 and a Yakima Platinum Pro 21 side-by-side had anything to do with it....:tongue:

Really, the rest of the trip wasn't that bad in terms of fuel economy considering the drag devices up top.

OF

·
Registered
216 Posts
I ran a similar setup this past summer but I removed three seats and just had an adult and two kids. Averaged about 22mpg at similar speeds

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy smokes, kbh...I think you've got a bit more cubic feet on top of the roof rails than I did! :eek:

The weight makes a difference, for sure. 4 kids, Mum & Dad (me), plus our cabin was filled up, and BOTH boxes had stuff in them. We were pulling a wheelie going up I-15 out of So Cal. I installed Monroe Load Adjusting shocks, but I think I'll have to do Airlift 1000's next.

Did you actually get all that stuff on with 48" bars? Impressive.

We took off the Rocketbox for our SW OK to SE TX (Houston) trip this weekend. Just made about 25 mpg by keeping the speed at about 68-70 mph, squeaked out 500 miles on that one tank of gas (I overfilled by about 3 gallons, and that's how much I had left when I refilled today). That single big box (Yakima Platinum Pro 21) I'm using on this trip is about 3 feet wide; it's a beast. I put the heavy stuff as far forward as possible, where I could, and it made a huge difference in how the van handled.

I'm going to try an air deflector, DIY-style like this guy did:

I think I'll make my fairing a bit taller. I just finished my HID Bi-xenon project for this trip, and I'll say that the resulting lighting improvements were not as dramatic as hoped for, but the throw of light somewhat further down the dark roads was much appreciated. I was successfully able to avoid road debris (cantalope-sized rocks) that I might not have seen otherwise with regular halogen lights.

Next is some Yakima roof tracks cut down to about 27" long, forward of the OEM rails, to hold two pairs of Locking Railrider 1's. The forward 48" bar will hold the fairing, and the one aft of it will cooperate with a Thule 599XTR Big Mouth to hold my bike. I'll fit my other Big Mouth staggered and aft for my wife's bike on either the stock crossbars, or use my Yakima DoubleCross setup(s). That way, I can still mount the Rocketbox11 on the passenger side.

I'll post pics once I figure it out. After this trip, my '03 Ody is going down for timing belt and an upgrade to the ATF cooling (get rid of the sadly insufficient OEM setup) as well as install the tracks, Railriders and Airlifts.

I'd say you definitely get the prize for most stuff on the Ody roof. :cool:

OF

1 - 3 of 3 Posts