Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, just discovered this on our brand new, few days old Touring (Touring Elite in US...). Major paint run/sag right above drivers door on the door frame.

IMG_3202 by striker3636, on Flickr

I don't know what the rest of you think, but I can only say hugely disappointed in Honda and their quality control processes. Not only did the final inspection miss this, but the assembler that put the door frame seal on did as well, or at least didnt care enough to flag it. Our last vehicle was a Toyota 4Runner that was made/assembled in Japan, and it was great, properly put together, high quality, and ran for 200,000+ miles before we replaced it. The perceived quality of the Honda brand and Honda parts becomes somewhat pointless if the North American workers don't care about the quality of the product they turn out.
It's pouring rain out right now but I guess once it stops I'll be going over it to see what else was missed. I would be upset with this on any vehicle I bought, let alone a $50,000 top of their line product. I guess it's back to the dealer to get bodywork done on our brand new vehicle...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Have the dealer replace you another one w/out any charges. It's unacceptable for ANY vehicles, price / brand is not an issue. Not sure if they can buff the excessive paint off. Even if they do, I think that'll also buff out the clear coat first which they'll have to 'repaint' back again. You may later on run into paint issues. Good luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Man, thats just sad, Striker. My experience was even worse, though. The seam where the two halves of the rear wheel wells come together was not fully welded in my '06 Odyssey. When we drove through rain, the water slung in an upward direction off the rear tires shot up through the gap, and flooded the rear cargo compartment in my new (at the time) Odyssey.

Being this was a weekend, the carpet mildewed and soured despite our efforts to vacuum and dry it. It stank horribly, after 3 days of ownership! It was repaired, leaked yet again, and was repaired a second time. Not cool to have a brand new "high quality" van, soaking wet and reeking of mold and mildew. Kinda took the "new car" experience I paid so dearly for right down the toilet!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It gets worse. Now that I'm looking, on the rear bumper surround there are spots where they didnt use enough paint and I can make out the black plastic underneath. This is really unbelieveable.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Wow that is bad. I don't have that problem, but I have been at the dealer for 3 missfitted window rubber trim. When they fixed the exterior trim, they messed up he interior one... Awesome.

We like the van, drives great and comfy, but this is by far the worst Honda I've dealt with and within my family we had MANY hondas.

I turned 30 this year, so now is a good time for me to say his: "they don't build'm like they used to". :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
My first time with Honda, but problemly wil be my last one. On my Touring, I had a spot on the back of the van, i think a peace of sand stick on it while painting. I didn't see it until next day when i took it home. Seem like the quality control is not good. I don't want to peel off that peace of sand, i think it will create more eye sore when i look at it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I hate to say this but when I heard these were assembled in alabama I was nervous and my suspicions are confirmed. My family has owned over 7 hondas and this is the first assembled in the usa one and myself have already experienced the gastank issue. i washed the van today and the doorjams werent properly wetsanded. its sad to say but in japan the quality control is obviously higher.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Get used to the made in USA cars by Japanese car companies. Unfortunately, that's the cost of progress and doing business. Plus the recent earthquake & tsunami has made Japanese car plants even more vulnerable.

:redface:

·
Registered
118 Posts
The reason I buy japanese cars are b/c the quality control is better. now I buy a japanese car and its made in the usa. LOL go figure

·
Registered
687 Posts
For the North American market, Japanese car companies make most vehicles in the US and Canada and the American car companies make some vehicles in Mexico. Go figure!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
For the North American market, Japanese car companies make most vehicles in the US and Canada and the American car companies make some vehicles in Mexico. Go figure!

Honda makes some CR-Vs for the North American market in Mexico and Nissan also has plants in Mexico, quality control is the same here, there or over there. Oh, and Mexico is in North America :)

The car the Odyssey replaced was made in Japan with parts mostly done there as well. I loved the car, but it had 2 major recalls (fire risk anyone?), a bad Panasonic battery, a defective liftgate strut (Japanese) and multiple TSBs.

Poorly executed quality control independently of where is manufactured, that's it :dunno:

·
Registered
810 Posts
I wonder how you get paint drips with a robot painter? These are all painted in a consistant way. Usually drips are from painting to slow. Was paint or clearcoat that is dripping?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yes, geographically Mexico is part of North America. But in terms of the automobile market, I don't consider it part of N.A. because Mexico has much different safety, crash and emission standards than the US and Canada.

:rollingeyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
A friend of mine at body shop told me that if the dealer or manufacture that touch up/repaint your car, they don't need to disclose to you because it's not consider as an accident and the car consider as new. I highly doubt that's paint drip was painted by machine at factory.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is this in a spot that is not seen when the door is closed?

Sad about the bumper.
You can't see it when the door is closed, but it stares you in the face at eye level every time you open the driver's door. I think the location is irrelevant.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A friend of mine at body shop told me that if the dealer or manufacture that touch up/repaint your car, they don't need to disclose to you because it's not consider as an accident and the car consider as new. I highly doubt that's paint drip was painted by machine at factory.
I know it wasnt done at the dealer as I was there when it was delivered off the truck.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts