Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Horsepower for the 2002 is listed as 240; I believe at 87 octane. What is it at 93 octane?

------------------
Ron - Ody EX L Navi 2002, silver with fog, subwoofer

·
Registered
564 Posts

87 is the recommended fuel. If higher octane would have allowed the engine to produce more HP, they surely would have listed the higher HP numbers for marketing purposes.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX - currently the BIG car.
1997 EV1 - "This is NOT your father's golf cart"

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strange. In recent years knock sensors have been used to (essentially) sense what fuel was being used, and either advance or retard the ignition to either prevent knock or increase power. Odd that an advanced engine like this wouldn't have such a feature.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:

87 is the recommended fuel. If higher octane would have allowed the engine to produce more HP, they surely would have listed the higher HP numbers for marketing purposes.

</font>

------------------

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rondtroy:
Strange. In recent years knock sensors have been used to (essentially) sense what fuel was being used, and either advance or retard the ignition to either prevent knock or increase power. Odd that an advanced engine like this wouldn't have such a feature.

</font>

Ah, but it most certainly does have advanced knock sensors. That is a big part of the reason that Honda could increase the compression, and still run lower octane gas for the big HP gain. There are many ways to employ knock sensors, and I think Honda chose the most effective way - helping to squeeze the most HP out of an engine running on regular unleaded.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX (ULEV)- currently the BIG car.
1997 EV1 (ZEV) in process - "This is NOT your father's golf cart"

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whatever Honda did, we do appreciate the accelleration of the 02 Ody. Great for getting onto highways with short on-ramps. And neat to confuse morons who think you're a slow minivan that they'll run around.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:

Ah, but it most certainly does have advanced knock sensors. That is a big part of the reason that Honda could increase the compression, and still run lower octane gas for the big HP gain. There are many ways to employ knock sensors, and I think Honda chose the most effective way - helping to squeeze the most HP out of an engine running on regular unleaded.

</font>

·
Registered
10 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rondtroy:
Horsepower for the 2002 is listed as 240; I believe at 87 octane. What is it at 93 octane?
</font>
I was wondering the same thing. I just got my Ody today and was reading thru the manual. It does not say it requires 87 octane...is says 86!

Dogbert

[This message has been edited by Dogbert (edited 01-19-2002).]

·
Registered
596 Posts
Believe what Ol'Darell sez!

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I need to persuade a local gas station to carry 86!
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
Believe what Ol'Darell sez!

Jerry O.

</font>

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts