Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2002 Odyssey ex, with 280,015 miles. Just started this problem. Driving just 7-8 miles, when I get out of van we smell hot antifreeze. Yet we see no leak in engine or on ground, the temp gauge never goes to hot. The antifreeze level is good, checked the oil and trans dipstick, both clean and full, also checked the P/S fluid and brake reservoir. What am I missing? I'm ASE certified (P2) (parts) but I've asked a few shops, they all want $79 to diagnose it. Any help here? Please.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
It's a sloooow leak onto a hot part that it evaporates from. A radiator tank seal, a sensor screwed into a water passage, some other such location. Pressurize cold with a tester and you might see a drop. Or look for blue crusties.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a sloooow leak onto a hot part that it evaporates from. A radiator tank seal, a sensor screwed into a water passage, some other such location. Pressurize cold with a tester and you might see a drop. Or look for blue crusties.
Ted, that's a good possibility, thank you, I'll check it out. Maybe easier to use a sniffer, I have access to one.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Maybe easier to use a sniffer, I have access to one.
I am not familiar with such a tool. Please share info on it. Is it something like a refrigerant leak detector?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not familiar with such a tool. Please share info on it. Is it something like a refrigerant leak detector?
Yes, it is. It detects antifreeze on the outside of any parts, but not all places to check are readily accessible. You can do the loan-a-tool program at Autozone. Large deposit but you get ti all back when tool is returned

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Can you share a manufacturer name or model, or a link to someone who sells?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts