Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered an Ody on Nov.30th in Omaha Neb. The dealer called me and said it will arrive at noon today.

Here is the VIN 2HKRL1862H564414

From what I decode here my van was built in Canada. Do I have a problem?

Below is from an earlier post:

Here's how to read your 2002 Odyssey VIN:
Position 1~3 =
5FN: US Honda, multi-purpose passenger vehicle
2HK: Canada Honda, multi-purpose passenger vehicle
Position 4~6 =
RL1: Odyssey
Position 7 =
8: 5 door
Position 8 =
0: EXL-RES
5: LX
6: EX
7: EXL-NAV
9: EXL
Position 9 = check digit
Position 10 =
2: model year 2002
Position 11 =
B: Lincolin (Alabama) Factory
H: Ontario Factory
Position 12~17: serial number=
500001~ : US model
000001~ : Canada model
I think however, that 12-17 serial number should read:
000001~ : US model
500001~ : Canada model
As two examples, here are 2 VIN numbers I see at the dealer web site:
2HKRL18062H548874 = Canadian-produced EX-L RES - Serial# 548874
5FNRL18692B003206 = US-produced EX - Serial# 003206

·
Registered
62 Posts
My understanding of the vins is that this car was built in Canada to be sold in Canada. The problems identified on this board regarding this issue is the question whether Honda US will warrentee the car and that the instrument panels need to be converted from metric. There are apparently some extras in these cars that the "American" cars don't have such as heated mirrors etc.. There was a post recently about someone who had purchased a Canadian van and had received a different kind of warrentee from the dealer and they were happy. However, I would be reluctant to deal with a dealership that did not disclose this information up front with you. Good luck, it seems like a long time to wait for an EX.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I am going to have to disagree with wmarci2000. Vantastic's is a Canadian built-for-US ODY VIN. You want to see a 2H-H5 or a 5F-B0 for US Ody's. Vantastic, this unit is okay. Go to Ebay and look at all the imported Canadian built for Canada serial numbers. They have the 2H-H0 sequence in them.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vantastic:
I ordered an Ody on Nov.30th in Omaha Neb. The dealer called me and said it will arrive at noon today.

Here is the VIN 2HKRL1862H564414

From what I decode here my van was built in Canada. Do I have a problem?...
</font>
Your van is a US model.

Ignore the characters that identify where the van was built. Either plant can build for Canada or the US.

Pay attention to the one character in bold:
2HKRL1862H564414. That 5 tells you that it is a US model, NOT a Canadian model.

Quoting verbatim from the Honda Service Manual (aka Helm manual)

"Chassis and Paint Codes - 2002 Model" page 1-5:

"h. Serial Number
500001 - U.S. model
000001 - Canada model"

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked back with the dealer and he said all the vans they have received that were ordered before 2002 were from Canada and are built for USA. It can be warranted by the Honda care warranty.

wmarci2000
"it seems like a long time to wait for an EX."
Yes it has been long and it actually arrived two weeks early. There are only three Honda dealers in my area and most of the time there are no Ody's for even a test drive. The dealer did take $200.00 off on adding the subwoofer. I didn't think $300.00 for the subwoofer was to bad.
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You definately have a US model Ody built in Ontario. I just received my VIN and it ends in 005968 and I am in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Everything else about the VIN matches mine, except the model # (I have a 9 for EX-L in position 8).

-Kevin

------------------
2002 Ody SS EX-L (end of April)
2000 Accord SE (gone when the Ody arrives)
1999 GrandAm GT

·
Registered
62 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nwf_snake:
I am going to have to disagree with wmarci2000. Vantastic's is a Canadian built-for-US ODY VIN. You want to see a 2H-H5 or a 5F-B0 for US Ody's. Vantastic, this unit is okay. Go to Ebay and look at all the imported Canadian built for Canada serial numbers. They have the 2H-H0 sequence in them.</font>
Sorry for any panic I caused. I'm glad that that everyone else came and corrected my error. Congrats on your soon to be new US Honda

1 - 7 of 7 Posts