Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y'all

Just want to see who all is in Houston aka "SpaceCity" and what year you are all driving.

My wife and I just picked up our 2005 Ocean Mist MetallicBlue EXL last week. We love it. So spacious.

In the next couple week/months (if I have time), I hope to be adding some mods to the minivan.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sceptre said:
Hi Y'all

Just want to see who all is in Houston aka "SpaceCity" and what year you are all driving.

My wife and I just picked up our 2005 Ocean Mist MetallicBlue EXL last week. We love it. So spacious.

In the next couple week/months (if I have time), I hope to be adding some mods to the minivan.

Thanks for looking.
Sceptre,

Enjoy your new Odyssey! We picked ours up last November and already have 10K on the odometer...no major complaints. I'm sure we'll pass on the road one day as I am in New Territory.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just moved back to Houston after 15 years in various parts of the country. We've got a 2000 dark green (don't recall the official marketing name - "Emerald Green" perhaps?) EX with just over 100,000 miles on it.

No major "unusual" problems to speak of (other than the "typical" ones I've seen posted on the OdyClub forums, particularly the frequently balky and problematic powered sliding doors; our problem one is the passenger side one).

However, at our 105K service, we were told that the motor mounts needed to be replaced. I used to work on my own cars many years ago but I'm no mechanic -- somehow I thought that motor mounts weren't something you typically replaced. Maybe I just got lulled into thinking that 100,000 miles really doesn't mean much with a Honda (this is my first Japanese vehicle) and those sort of parts last forever. ;)

BTW, anyone know of a reasonably priced good independent Honda mechanic you can recommend? I'd like to have the motor mounts replaced before taking a long driving vacation in a couple of weeks. We're in the West University area in Houston.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey all,

Another proud owner of 05 Odyssey Touring from Mo City. No major complaint so far except for the rattling sound in the driver side slider. Got it fixed quick through this website..no more rattling.

K guys enjoy driving Hondas....mabuhay!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
raketex said:
Just moved back to Houston after 15 years in various parts of the country. We've got a 2000 dark green (don't recall the official marketing name - "Emerald Green" perhaps?) EX with just over 100,000 miles on it.

No major "unusual" problems to speak of (other than the "typical" ones I've seen posted on the OdyClub forums, particularly the frequently balky and problematic powered sliding doors; our problem one is the passenger side one).

However, at our 105K service, we were told that the motor mounts needed to be replaced. I used to work on my own cars many years ago but I'm no mechanic -- somehow I thought that motor mounts weren't something you typically replaced. Maybe I just got lulled into thinking that 100,000 miles really doesn't mean much with a Honda (this is my first Japanese vehicle) and those sort of parts last forever. ;)

BTW, anyone know of a reasonably priced good independent Honda mechanic you can recommend? I'd like to have the motor mounts replaced before taking a long driving vacation in a couple of weeks. We're in the West University area in Houston.
Try C&M Honda. They are really good and HONEST. They are on Murphy Road not too far off 59. (281) 498-6364. Ask for either Craig or Mark. They are the owners. (hence C&M).

Good Luck.

Happy 4th of July everyone. Be Safe. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi yall!!

Well it's official...I am now a Texan! Arrived here Saturday night after a 2 day trip from New York with the ody. So if anyone sees an ody with a New York license plate with an odyclub sticker in the back...thats me!!

btw...I'm in Kingwood

Mabuhay!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in Greatwood...'02 Ody w/ 40K. Only complaints are with with Auto climate control (doesn't keep the car cool) and the volume controls on the steering wheel ( they work in reverse, change the radio channels, etc.) An intermittened problem that nevers shows it's head when at the dealer.

Any advice out there??

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in Greatwood...'02 Ody w/ 40K. Only complaints are with with Auto climate control (doesn't keep the car cool) and the volume controls on the steering wheel ( they work in reverse, change the radio channels, etc.) An intermittened problem that nevers shows it's head when at the dealer.

Any advice out there??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sceptre -

Thanks for the lead on C&M - I may give them a call and a try since our "Check Engine" light came on during vacation and hasn't gone out yet (as it has done on its own in the past).

Sorry I didn't reply earlier but I've been out all July with no internet access...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RITA

Did anyone evacuate the Houston area in their minivans? We did. Even though the long drive was stressful, the Ody made a really nice car to take the trip in.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Re: RITA

Sceptre said:
Did anyone evacuate the Houston area in their minivans? We did. Even though the long drive was stressful, the Ody made a really nice car to take the trip in.
I started to, heading east on I10 Thursday morning, but hit traffic and turned around. Next day we went to Corpus, but we took the Accord because the Ody was using too much gas. We didn't know how long it would be before we could get more, so we wanted to use the most frugal vehicle we have.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Re: RITA

accordian said:
I started to, heading east on I10 Thursday morning, but hit traffic and turned around. Next day we went to Corpus, but we took the Accord because the Ody was using too much gas. We didn't know how long it would be before we could get more, so we wanted to use the most frugal vehicle we have.
Took us 9 hours to get to Austin. pretty much 6 hours to get from SugarLand to Sealy via grandparkway and I-10. I filled up the minivan a couple days before and used a little more than half tank. (a/c on the whole time. We have 2 little kids).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sceptre (and other Ody owners in the Houston area) -

I wanted to update you all and let you know that I did take our 2000 Ody to C&M Honda mechanics in the Stafford area a few weeks ago (see the earlier posts above asking about honest Honda mechanics in the Houston area).

This was after I got an estimate from the local Meineke shop about fixing this hollow-thumping sound I heard when going over potholes. I thought that maybe the front struts were gone since we have 105,000 miles on the vehicle.

(However, when I did the old push-up-and-down-on-the-bumper-rapidly-and-let-go diagnostic on the car, the shocks seemed just fine -- the car didn't continue to bounce up and down.)

I described the sound to the Meineke guys and told them what I was guessing it might be, and wouldn't you know it, they called me back later and agreed and gave me an estimate of about $200+ apiece to change out each side.

Well, at that price point, I decided it would be worth the 30 minute drive for me to go by C&M and see what they would say. I gave them the same description of the problem and my guess, and they called me back later saying it was none of that. They said that the calipers on the driver's side front wheel was missing one bolt and another bolt had been overtorqued and was loose, and it would cost about $90 to fix the problem. Apparently, the thumping noise we had been hearing when going over bumps was the loose calipers banging on the rotor.

Now here's the real kicker: when the C&M guys asked me who had worked on the brakes before, I told them it was the Meineke guys back in June! So, what have we got here: Meineke guys did a bad brake job, screwed up my calipers, and THEN were going to charge me $400+ to change out struts that had nothing wrong with them! What a rip-off outfit!

So, here's the bottom line: If you're within driving distance of Stafford, take your Ody (and other Hondas) to the honest mechanics at C&M. Thanks, Sceptre, for the great recommendation!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
raketex said:
Sceptre (and other Ody owners in the Houston area) -

I wanted to update you all and let you know that I did take our 2000 Ody to C&M Honda mechanics in the Stafford area a few weeks ago (see the earlier posts above asking about honest Honda mechanics in the Houston area).

This was after I got an estimate from the local Meineke shop about fixing this hollow-thumping sound I heard when going over potholes. I thought that maybe the front struts were gone since we have 105,000 miles on the vehicle.

(However, when I did the old push-up-and-down-on-the-bumper-rapidly-and-let-go diagnostic on the car, the shocks seemed just fine -- the car didn't continue to bounce up and down.)

I described the sound to the Meineke guys and told them what I was guessing it might be, and wouldn't you know it, they called me back later and agreed and gave me an estimate of about $200+ apiece to change out each side.

Well, at that price point, I decided it would be worth the 30 minute drive for me to go by C&M and see what they would say. I gave them the same description of the problem and my guess, and they called me back later saying it was none of that. They said that the calipers on the driver's side front wheel was missing one bolt and another bolt had been overtorqued and was loose, and it would cost about $90 to fix the problem. Apparently, the thumping noise we had been hearing when going over bumps was the loose calipers banging on the rotor.

Now here's the real kicker: when the C&M guys asked me who had worked on the brakes before, I told them it was the Meineke guys back in June! So, what have we got here: Meineke guys did a bad brake job, screwed up my calipers, and THEN were going to charge me $400+ to change out struts that had nothing wrong with them! What a rip-off outfit!

So, here's the bottom line: If you're within driving distance of Stafford, take your Ody (and other Hondas) to the honest mechanics at C&M. Thanks, Sceptre, for the great recommendation!
Kudos to Craig and Mark for their honesty. I have the Ody and a TL, and they are the only ones I go to for any kind of service. Good and honest mechanics are so hard to find these days. I'm glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here due to Katrina.....

Replaced s2000 with the mega-mommy van and a pair of twin boys.
'06 EX-L with DVD/NAV with Louisiana Plate.

Over near Bellaire......:p

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm from the Clear Lake area here in Houston. Not far from Nasa.

Bought my '07 Ody from Clear Lake Honda. Didn't like the salesman's tactics and almost walked out twice. The only thing that stopped us from walking out was the salesman wouldn't give me my car keys back. I am still pissed about this tactic of holding us hostage until we bought. But finally bought my Ody in January 2007. Love the ride and handling. I'm disappointed with the gas mileage and also the info we received from the salesman when we questioned him on the Pax Tires. The only place to have them serviced is Discount Tire on I-45, League City. They want an arm and leg for servicing the tires. I was also told to change my oil at 3650 miles and given a card saying I get free oil changes for life.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of how good their service department is?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
might wanna check w/ the C/L honda service dept. about the PAX machine vs the salesman.

Mcdavid up 45 a lil ways got good reviews.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts