Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this has never happened to me in the history of me being behind the wheel. i was cleaning the windshield with rain-x, and i put the wipers up. after i was done, i let the wiper go too fast back onto the windshields fixed position and it cracked it.......

think its time i give safelite a call :dammit:

·
Registered
755 Posts
Get One of those windshield fix thing at autozone and it will stop the cracking. The crack still might be a little visible afterwards though

·
Registered
96 Posts
I wouldn't recommend any "fix" for a crack in a windshield. The repair stuff is best left for chips and non-fractured scrapes, and is ONLY cosmetic, not a structural fix of any kind.

A crack in a windshield WILL spread in time, and a sudden spread all the way across can lead to additional cracking, shattering or even collapse - often while at freeway speeds. The bigger the windshield, the bigger the likelihood of a catastrophic failure.

IMVHO, a crack in a windshield as big as the Ody's is nothing to fool with. Get it replaced soon.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
NitroPress said:
I wouldn't recommend any "fix" for a crack in a windshield. The repair stuff is best left for chips and non-fractured scrapes, and is ONLY cosmetic, not a structural fix of any kind.

A crack in a windshield WILL spread in time, and a sudden spread all the way across can lead to additional cracking, shattering or even collapse - often while at freeway speeds. The bigger the windshield, the bigger the likelihood of a catastrophic failure.

IMVHO, a crack in a windshield as big as the Ody's is nothing to fool with. Get it replaced soon.
Are you sure? ALL local glass plases guarantee chip AND crack repair for life and will repair a crack as big as a dollar bill on ANY car including the Oddy. Some of 'em do such a good job that once they're done, you wouldn't even know where the chip was so if they fill their resin (sp??) in the crack, I don't see how/why it would spread and if that was the case, those glass guys would be losing money as if a repair fails they have to replace the windshield for FREE so I gather.

·
Registered
513 Posts
dvpatel said:
ALL local glass plases guarantee chip AND crack repair for life and will repair a crack as big as a dollar bill on ANY car including the Oddy.
Looking at the picture, it would have to be one big dollar bill... Not sure they can do something, but it wouldn't hurt to have it looked at.

Nicolas

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree that it is beyond repair. Some Insurance companies might not cover it. It depends on the coverage. I found that out after getting a crack in my windshield.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Just call your insurance company...worst case scenario you pay your comp deductible, but depending on your insurance and state they have a glass deductible usually is $100.00 which ever it's just go to the dealership and get replace.

I had my windshield replace on my TSX only after 2 months of owning it.....eeeggghhh, just paid my deductible of $300.00. Worst part about 6 month later I got a big ass rock chip, and 1 month ago I got another one!!! Not my luck with windshields!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
There is a difference between a chip, a scrape and a crack that doesn't touch an edge, and an edge-based crack. The former can sometimes be fixed (chips and scrapes, almost always), but an edge crack is a disaster waiting to happen. Might be fine for years, but it *will* go sooner or later... and can collect some charming fixit tickets on the way... but if a fix is possible and "good enough," by all means try it. Windshields are expensive...

·
Registered
49 Posts
When you get your windshield REPLACED, double check the black molding around the bottom, sides etc. Before you accept it.

If it is not flat against the windshield you will be visited by the dreaded Ody whistling bird.

This from experience.

·
Registered
60 Posts
From the picture, it appears that crack is too big to be repaired. You are most likely going to need new glass.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeaaa i will get a new one for sure as the crack got bigger on my mini trip to phildadelphia over the weekend.....about 4 inches from where it sort of "hooks" to the right side, the crack grew straight up to 4 inchs straight. darn it.

is this correct that the windshield costs like 368 bucks??

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ODYSSEY&catcgry2=2006&catcgry3=5DR+EXL-T&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=FRONT+WINDSHIELD

it seems too good to be true, but if it cost 368 bucks, i wont even go thru the insurance. i remember the windshield from the porsche 944 was cracked 4 inches, the local shop said it is not repairable and it needed a new one, at like 700 bucks total was an estimate but i just paid my deductable so all was good. ill keep you guess posted, thank you all for your replies !!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my van...let the wiper snap back too fast and crack.

In Florida, windshields are covered 100%...no deductable. Called the insurance company and they set us up with SafeLite. Guy comes out to the house and does the repair on the spot. Good as new.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts