Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be a lot of bad reviews for the sound system. Is it really that bad or is it being compared to after market SUPER SYSTEMS? Is there a difference between the LX and Ex in quality of sound?

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
The Odyssey sound system isn't bad. It's probably on the level of a base model compact car, but somewhat inferior to factory systems in more expensive minivans or midsize car. The Odyssey also falls short in bass with 4" rear speakers. Many cars can get reasonable base using a 6.5" or 6x9 speaker in the rear deck using the trunk as an enclosure. A simple speaker upgrade makes a definite improvement for under $100. As far as I know, the EX is the same as the LX, but adds dash mounted tweeters. See the Audio/Video forums for more details.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It isn't as bad as the system in the Mercedes I'm about to turn back in. I've been in some el-cheapo cars with better bass response than the Honda.

It's not a concert hall, but it serves the purpose. Can't listen to it too loud with the kids in there anyway.

------------------
'01 SS Honda Odyssey EX
'99 F150 XL Supercab
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's Bad!!
It's O.K. if all you listen to is talk radio. But any music is muffled. Terrible highs and almost no bass. I'm still trying to decide what I want to replace it with. Does anyone have any experince with Boston Acoustic speakers? I've noticed that a set of their 6" mid-range speakers w/separate tweeters are double the price of the Sony's or Kenwoods. Are they really that much better?
Brichead

·
Registered
9 Posts
Brichead---

I've got the 6" separates from Boston Acoustics in my Blazer. I had them in my wife's Prelude for 5 years and kept the speakers and Alpine head unit when I traded the car in for the Ody.

The sound is incredible!!! I think they are also in a "compact" package as far as sizing goes. Very heavy magnets.

I also have the Rally 6x9's for the rear.
I've got the nice cherry BA CR-60's for my Home theater mains, BA vr-? "bigger" surround speakers and the micro 90x's for the kitchen.

I am a big fan of Boston Acoutics. I think they sound great and hold up well.

I'm not affiliated with Boston Acoustics. Just a satisfied customer. If they don't sound good, it's in your head-------unit, I mean.

BTW, I looked at JBL, Paradigm, Energy and a few other high end speakers as well.

Mac

·
Registered
57 Posts
With the one test drive I have had in an Ody, the sound system didn't sound too great. But it was a relatively short drive and I was paying attention to other things first.

It should be interesting to see what people do about this.

------------------
Jim

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well, for speakers that list for $9.62(front) and $10.20(rear) a piece they sound okay.
I replaced my head unit with 5 year old Pioneer Double-Din pulled out from my other car and the factory speakers sound not too bad. The head unit has built-in Parametric EQ, Soundfield controls, etc.

Anybody bought and installed the new Kelton Bass yet???

·
Registered
10 Posts
THE SOUND SYSTEM NEEDS ALOT OF HELP. THE LX AND EX MODELS BOTH USE THE SAME SPEAKERS THE MAJOR TROUBLE IS THAT HONDA USED FULL RANGE SPEAKERS AND THEY ARE UNABLE TO PLAY MUSIC CORRECTLY THEY CAN BE REPLACED WITH SOME 2 OR 3 WAY SPEAKERS VERY EASILY (AND FOR THOSE WITH LX MODELS LIKE ME ADD A SET OF TWEETERS IN THE FRONT AND IT WILL FILL IN THE MISSING HIGH AND WILL BE FINE) AND FOR THOSE WHO NEED SOUND LIKE ME YOU CAN FIT A SET OF 6X9 THE THE REAR DOOR PANEL A SET OF 1" TWEETERS ABOVE EACH SEAT BELT HOLDER AND A THIRD SET IN THE LITTLE BLACK PIECE NEXT TO EACH SIDE VIEW MIRROR A BAZOOKA TUBE FITS FINE IN THE REAR CARGO PLACE ALSO IT COMES OUT EASILY IN CASE YOU NEED TO PUT THE SEAT THERE IF ANY QUESTIONS JUST ASK

·
Registered
67 Posts
I drove a Dodge Caravan for years at work, and let me tell you, those vans have UNBELIEVEABLE sound quality for a factory system, the bass and wattage that comes out easily beats the sound system in my 2000 Ody LX without even trying. I don't know why Honda did such a lousy job in sound design when they made these vans. Everybody knows you don't install 4" speakers in such a big vehicle, and then expect them to sound good, it's simply NOT POSSIBLE. For what these vans cost, they should have much better sound quality than they do, without adding subwoofers, or replacing every speaker in the vehicle.

Videoman
2000 LX Taffeta white
57K Miles

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think it's fine. Not great...but since the kids are almost always present (in mine anyway LOL) the volume is kept fairly low anyway.

Quite honestly, 'great' sound isn't all that important to me....I'd be lovely if it was already there, but since it's not, I'll leave it at that.

I can't imagine spending a dime to change it since there are other, imo, more imporant things to do with the $$ (at least to me....priorities differ all around, I realize:))

K

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
don't let anyone blow smoke up your anus---the factory system sucks a$$

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am unimpressed as well. I have the EX/L with the nav/res but do not feel as if much money was spent on the sound system for this van. I am however happy that it is a relatively inexpensive fix for those of us that want to change the speakers out and possibly add a amp and/or crossover.

I am looking into buying the items I need to do this even though its mainly driven by my wife. When I am driving, I don't need to have the rear tires bounce off the ground but I do want the ability to hear a really nice sound coming from the radio/xm/cd/dvd.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Re: How bad "really" is the sound system?

Deano said:
There seems to be a lot of bad reviews for the sound system. Is it really that bad or is it being compared to after market SUPER SYSTEMS? Is there a difference between the LX and Ex in quality of sound?
The sound system in my EX-L earns about a 4 on a 1 to 10 scale. I like the controls, features, integration, AUX port (in back), etc., but the sound quality is substandard for a $30K+ vehicle. The dashtop tweeters sound like mush, and the stock speakers sound nice and "bassy" when you're sitting in the showroom, but when you start driving they sound weak. Add to that the fact that above certain volumes the radio starts to cut off the bass response.

I swapped the speakers for a slight improvement, and am considering the OEM subwoofer. It would have been nice if the disc changer played MP3 like the '08 model apparently does.

It is a weak link, made all the more so by the nice system available in the Sienna.

RobL

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hi guys, how’s the sound of Kelton Subwoffer? Is it really bad? Do you guys barely hear any bass?

·
Registered
120 Posts
All iterations of the factory sound system, including the touring, are well below a five on a scale of one to ten. This, along with pervasive road noise, is the Ody's glaring weak spots.

·
Registered
131 Posts
ironcheffx said:
All iterations of the factory sound system, including the touring, are well below a five on a scale of one to ten. This, along with pervasive road noise, is the Ody's glaring weak spots.
I have to agree there, at least from my experience with the EX-L w RES & NAV.
I've had a number of cars in recent years. None have been as noisy or had as bad OEM sound as the ODY. Still , we bought on for its other magic as it were and have tamed the sound beast.
But we still want to sound deaden the cabin a LOT more than we did.
At least if you upgrade your stock sound you may be able to overcome the high ambient noise with in the cabin with your music.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts