Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that the 2002 now has disc brakes in the rear. I did a search on this and someone said that disc brakes provide an advantage but not in stopping distance.

Can someone describe the advantages of 4 vs. 2 disc brakes?

Thanks.

·
Registered
566 Posts
As a rule, disc brakes are generally more effective. When a car stops, its inertia shifts forward, placing a greater demand on the front brakes which is why just about every new car on the road today has front disc brakes.

Rear disc brakes may not provide much of an obvious benefit unless the rear of the vehicle is heavily loaded, causing the rear brakes to work harder when stopping the car.

From a maintenance standpoint (especially for the do-it-yourselfer) disc brakes are MUCH easier to work with.

The only downside to disc brakes, IMO is that brake dust finds its way to the wheels a lot more than with wheels with drum brakes.

[This message has been edited by Neo Fender (edited 03-08-2002).]

·
Registered
596 Posts
Makes it go faster.

"NOT"

·
Registered
479 Posts
Disc brakes are less prone to brake fade, but again this is less important for the rear brakes as they do less work (and the small rotors on the Ody rear wheels are less effective anyways). It can be more important on long, steep downhill grades if someone likes to ride the brakes, but you shouldn't do that, and the Ody has the grade logic transmission so it is much less of an issue.

As for maintenance, that depends. If you live in areas where snow, mud, dust, gravel, etc. are more prevalent, disc brakes on the rear wheels wear faster and require caliper replacement more often due to the junk that gets kicked up by the front wheels (which is why many "true" offroad vehicles still use rear drums).

[This message has been edited by phil47 (edited 03-08-2002).]

·
Registered
747 Posts
I agree with phil47's comment about fade. The key is that fade is caused by heat buildup. Disk brakes - because the disk is exposed to air and generally has good airflow across it - will cool much faster than a drum.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Brakes are only a device that converts kinetic energy (a given mass moving at a given speed) into thermal energy (heat). Heavier cars have more kinetic energy to convert.

Disc brakes, with their internally vented rotors and exposed rotor surfaces, dissipate this heat more readily into the universe. This reduces the "brake fade" effect. Fading happens when the brake pad and rotors reach a temperature that changes the coefficient of friction of the materials. This usually happens with frequent hard braking (like in a police chase or road race) or when applying brakes for too long while desending mountains.

Like Neo says, the front brakes do most of the work, so discs in the rear is a minor improvement in overall stopping power (in other words both kinds will lock up your wheels). However it is said that rear discs provide a great improvement in modulating brake pressure thus improving handling. I've also heard that putting discs all around helps the ABS and TCS work better.

About that brake dust. My front wheels were noticeably darker (covered with dust) after 50 miles of ownership. I know Raybestos has developed a "dust free" pad for heavy GM cars and trucks. Anybody know if they are available for the Ody?

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discs look better.
Ok there's more to it than that, but the advantages that I've heard have been mentioned (less fade and better modulation or "feel").

I think Car & Driver did a story a while back comparing the same model cars with disc/drum vs 4-wheel disc. Not sure what month that was.

timbuk2002
'02 GG EX - 4 wheel disk
'96 Maxima SE - 4 wheel disk
'87 Supra Turbo - 4 wheel disk

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yes, disc brakes are far more linear in their stopping force, so ABS should be better able to modulate the braking force to the wheels with disc brakes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the very useful information.

A dumb question: what is "brake fade" exactly?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Brake fade is the phenomenon of brakes losing their effectiveness when the pads and discs get hot. Usually not a big issue, but the Odyssey is a big vehicle with relatively small brakes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ken W:
About that brake dust. My front wheels were noticeably darker (covered with dust) after 50 miles of ownership. I know Raybestos has developed a "dust free" pad for heavy GM cars and trucks. Anybody know if they are available for the Ody?
</font>
Repco/RPR makes some of the best dustless pads in the world. Been using them on European cars for years with excellent results. Don't know if they produce pads for Hondas.

I'll bet some of the guys from the Accord/Civic lists can put us in the right direction. I'm sure they have run into this.

------------------
Craig

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'd be interested in hearing how the rear discs on the 02's wear. Have an Accord wagon with rear discs and they wear out quickly, more quickly than the fronts. Never had a car before where the rear breaks would wear out faster than the front.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have approximately 3500 miles on my 2002. At about 2000 miles I started to get a scrubbing noise from the back discs the first couple of times they are applied after the van has sat for a few days. The dealer says it is natural. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by roll:
I have approximately 3500 miles on my 2002. At about 2000 miles I started to get a scrubbing noise from the back discs the first couple of times they are applied after the van has sat for a few days. The dealer says it is natural. Has anyone else had this problem?</font>
I let our '02 which has 3,300 miles on it sit for over a week in the garage during a recent spell of bad weather (snow, ice, cold) to avoid the salt on the road. The first time I took it out I noticed a bit of a grinding. It went away after a few blocks. I attributed the noise to the thin layer of rust that seems to appear when I let any disc brakes sit that long. It hasn't returned since I started driving the Ody again (better weather).

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
On my 94 Integra GSR, I notice grinding of the brakes after its been left stopped for a day after a hard rain. After a few brake applications, the grinding is eliminated.

I notice the rear brakes wear faster than the fronts on the Integra as well. I'm guessing the fronts are semi-metallic pads and the rears are asbestos.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The rear pads and rotors are just smaller. The fronts are still doing about 70 percent of the braking, but the pads are big enough to outlast the rears. Still, the fronts DO usually wear out first.

------------------
'02 Granite Green EX-L
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

·
Registered
15 Posts
rear pads wear out first

I too have an Integra ('97), 65,000 miles on it, and I recently had the brakes serviced for the first time. The rear pads were replaced because of wear, the fronts "looked brand new" according to the service manager. Go figure.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Didn't the stopping distance drop when the discs were put on the 02's? Metallic pads last longer than the other kind--whatever they are. Also seems like I heard that the asbestos pads are going away.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I remember there was 01 vs 02 braking discussion under maybe 0-60 thread? The difference was nominal and could be attributed to variables such as driver,particular vehicle....etc.
I do know very gentle break-in helps proper seating & thus better braking performance. And as far as discs vs disc/drum. All discs are preferable for racing & light vehicle applications. The larger the vehicle &/or loads to be towed, the more disc/drum becomes advantageous.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts