Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello my fellow Odyssey owners and drivers,

I've had my 2000 Odyssey since 2006.

In 2006 it had 67,000 miles (106,000Kms).

It ran like a charm until about 100,000 miles.

I bought a transmission from a junker and my odyssey has been running splendidly until about 135,000 miles.

The first time I ran into transmission problems :

Transmission wouldn't shift out of 1st ....for a long time...and then wouldn't shift out of 2nd for a long time...etc. I would also usually get these weird clunks during the shift.

I also would have these VERY rough CLUNKS every time I shifted into reverse.

I don't want to go out and spend 2500 if I don't have to.

I've heard things about shift solenoids and clogging filters.

I guess the first thing to do would be get an OBDII reader and connect it to see if I get any errors for the transmission?

Would a regular OBDII reader provide me with the codes for a 2000 Odyssey tranny?

I appreciate all your brilliant insights with respect to the rest of my tranny woes!
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
As far as I know, an OBDII reader will pick up a transmission code only if the CEL is also on. If only the D4 light is flashing, a Honda reader is needed to flip the PCM into diagnostic mode to spit out the code in something like Morse code.

Was an external filter installed when the transmission was replaced? Are any lights on? Is the fluid in good condition? How is the fluid level? (Transmission hot, engine off, van on level ground)

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Isn't clunking into reverse usually a motor mount? What do you mean when you say "wouldn't shift out of 1st ....for a long time"? This sounds more like it's staying in the lower gear too long when usually a bad tranny will slip between gears. When mine went bad it would accelerate normally until it was time to shift, then it would feel like it was in neutral and peg the rpm's before catching the next gear (only 1st to 2nd). I never had a clunk into reverse. I also didn't have a blinking D4 light or a code that my reader could read but the dealer could. The sticky at the top of this section named "Unofficial 2001 Odyssey Thread" mentions the motor mount and lists a TSB on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts