Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aux in options for 2007

I have a 2007 Odyssey with NAV, but not a Touring. I realize there is no aux in port on the front, that you have to purchase an adaptor kit that installs inside the gloves box, etc. I am not happy with that option:

For the last 10 days my Odyssey was at the shop having hail damage repaired. My insurance paid for a rental (I ended up swapping for a different one at one point), both of which were very cheap cars that had terrible handling and gas mileage compared to my Odyssey. BUT they both had an aux-in port. Going back to my old method of driving with headphones is just not acceptable.

I have tried the RCA in ports through the back. Yes, this works, but even with high quality cable it still transmits a high pitched squeal that is migraine inducing. Not a viable option if you actually love music and want to listen to something with subtle texture.

The glove box adaptor is just ridiculous in my opinion. That makes it unusable for the driver. I know they say that it integrates with the stereo system, so you actually choose your music using the stereo controls. That is not how I use my iPod. I want to be able to select my music by touching my iPod and have it play. I also do not want to pay out a bunch of money for a backwards system like this.

So, I understand these ports are standard on the 2008. Would it be possible to hack the stereo from a wrecked one at a pull-apart into the 2007 van? Perhaps not the entire system, just the part that runs to the place that is a power port on the 2007?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I posted a similar question under 2005-2010 Odyssey, then realized it should have been here. But it is not giving me any option to edit or delete my post, so I apologize upfront for double posting.

I have a 2007 Odyssey with Navigation and the Rear Entertainment System. It has no input for aux, in spite of having a button for it. I know there are kits that can be installed through the glove box which I am honestly not wild about. I have tried the RCA ports in the side pocket of the third row seat, but the sound quality is unacceptable. Even with high quality cables there is a noticeable high pitched squeal.

What I want is a way to plug in our iPod Classic, which not only has music but also a great deal of video, and listen through the sound system to my music or select a video and have it play through the rear entertainment system for the kids. Again, using the RCA in ports does work for this, but the sound quality…

I want a way of holding the iPod in my hand so I can select what I want and easily unplug the iPod when I get out of the car without having to reach all the way over to the glove box. I do not want to use the factory controls to control my iPod.

Is this even possible? Are there different audio systems that can be swapped out for mine that would have this capability?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have seen these, and they do not meet my criteria: I do not want to use the factory controls, I want to use the iPods native controls. It also says nothing about video to the RES.

One reviewer described using the factory controls "cryptic," while another said:
"Even the headings that appear on the screen require some analysis on the drivers part because they are not exactly as they appear on the ipod itself, which by the way can NOT be used to select songs or playlists while it connected to the vehicle."

While another described it thus:
"the performance of the kit is extraordinarily poor. There is a 4 second delay that occurs as you navigate from one setting to the next (every single time you push a button). So, every time you make a command, it takes 4 seconds to catch up. I thought if I was patient enough with the system, it would be OK. Not worth the trouble. There has got to be a simpler and safer way to listen to Ipod on the road. This one will get you into an accident. Sound is good, but this product will only be worthwhile if you have a DJ riding shotgun with you EVERY TIME you want to listen to another song."

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have seen these, and they do not meet my criteria: I do not want to use the factory controls, I want to use the iPods native controls. It also says nothing about video to the RES.
...which is exactly what I do with my iSimple. :)

Most iPod adaptors have a "manual" mode, where the car leaves the iPod alone. The only things the iSimple does when in this mode is next/previous using the CH up/down buttons on the steering wheel.

If you want to go as close to OEM as possible, I would suggest 3 steps:
As a side note, I put the iPod plug in the middle pocket on our 2007, the one below the HVAC controls, and it is easily accessible. Originally had it in the big passenger glove box but found it was too far, as you said. Putting it in the middle only took a hole and a grommet from the hardware store.

Nicolas

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have experience with both the iSimple units. However, I have never used the Aux port with either. I have an aux port in my car and didn't like it. I wanted text on the screen and head unit controls. This unit sounds great, but the controls are really hard to use. But, since I listen to pod casts, I just plug it in and it goes.

For the van, I had a remote installed and I saw that they had iSimple products. I like it in my car and thought it would be perfect for my wife who plugs in her 60g brick on shuffle. For some reason during the installation, they decided that the controls were too difficult (?!?) and install the iSimple FM modulator type instead. HORRIBLE. Couldn't use it for more that 30 seconds it sounded so crappy. You controlled he music on the iPad, but it wouldn't stop it when you shut off the car.

I've since ripped the FM iSimple out and installed a new head unit. Best of all worlds. On screen controls, phone, and GPS. All for around $600. See my new thread: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/11-au...50920-pioneer-x920bt-install-my-2006-exl.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

This is what my system looks like now. Did you drill a hole through your dash below your air conditioner controls? Does the "OEM AUX input for 2008s+" fit into the space where a power-port currently sits near the floor? The Honda parts website has no pictures for this part, so I'm having trouble visualizing it.

It seems there is no system for iPod to RES anywhere. The 2011 Touring Elite is the only vehicle with an HDMI input (a first according to Car & Driver). The only iPods' that are compatible with Apple's HDMI converter are the iPod Touch 4, which do not have enough space to make them useful for this application. IPod Classic (mine has 120G) is not supported. So the noisy composite cable is the only answer currently on that front. Sad.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Nope, we have an EX-L, period, so no NAV or RES.

My iPod cable comes out of the pocket below the HVAC, the space of which is taken by the RES controls? Not sure what that second unit is for since we don't have it.

Sorry, should have noticed the NAV in your opening post.

Nicolas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
[*]Buy the OEM AUX input for 2008s+ (39112-SHJ-003 - Honda JACK ASSY., AUX IN.).
According to this website, this part is not compatible with my van. Does this simply mean it was not designed for the 2007, but you could make it work with a little effort, or does this mean the sizes are totally incompatible?

This is from the 2008 Manual

This is my van

Its hard to tell if they are the same size.
In your instructions above, are you saying to connect the Ipod Adaptor to the back of the stereo unit, then connect it to the AUX-input device for 2008+ vans? That this Honda Aux-input device is a wired component, not just a piece of plastic moulding?

·
Registered
513 Posts
This is the diagram showing the part (#28), which seems to be an insert that takes the place of the power outlet itself. The part number of the console itself (#10) did not change from 2007 to 2008, so it's probably a good bet that it will fit.

http://www.hondapartssales.com/lisle/jsp/catimgs/14shj501_b3740.png

It is a wired part that you could connect to the AUX input of the adaptor. How you do that (soldering, crimped connectors...) you would know after getting the part.

The PA15-HON2 adaptor is sold as working with NAV Odysseys and it has an AUX input.

USA SPEC: iPod to Vehicle Interfaces

Keep us informed of what you do.

Nicolas

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have tried the RCA in ports through the back. Yes, this works, but even with high quality cable it still transmits a high pitched squeal that is migraine inducing. Not a viable option if you actually love music and want to listen to something with subtle texture.
if you have a high pitched squeal, and it seems to vary in response to the accelerator pedal, then you might have a ground loop, this device from radioshack may well help:

Ground Loop Isolator - RadioShack.com

·
Registered
66 Posts
My iPod cable comes out of the pocket below the HVAC, the space of which is taken by the RES controls?
Nicolas
When I installed our ISimple, I ran the cord across/above the glovebox and down the side, under the door sils and out under the B piller below the passenger seat. Then up the side of the seat to the center tray. That's where we toss our Iphones anyways. The cord was OK length, but a little short if you tried to use the phone when it was plugged in. So I rerouted it out the bottom of the center console (back in the foot area) and under the center floormat to the same spot. It is hid under the mat. You only see about an inch of cord and even that is up under the dash in the foot well area.

Also, the Isimple has a second cable that comes with it. One cable attaches to the 30 pin port. The other has a set of RCA and 3.5mm jacks on it. If you don't want to use the 30pin you can attach the other cable to the second input port on the ISimple and then you can plug in any device that uses RCA/3.5mm. Of course, you don't get charging (unless you hook up the 30pin also). On my G35, I have both cables installed, just in case I ever want to plug in something else in the future.

As someone mentioned before, you can take the factory 2008+ aux port or something like this Amazon.com: 3.5mm Stereo Coupler, Female / Female: Electronics and make an aux port. Just plug mate it up to the second ISimple jack.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here's a video of a non-nav ody with ISimple. iSimple GateWay in a 2008 Odyssey (Without Navigation Radio) - YouTube

About the 2:00 mark, they talk about the Aux1 mode (manual mode where you control from your ipod).

Oh, and the Isimple doesn't do video to the RES. If you play video on the ipod (at least on my Iphone), it will play the audio portion through the car radio but nothing else. If you want to do video to the RES, you'll have to do something else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts