Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This is my first post as I just picked up my 09 Ody Ex last week. Love it! Much easier to get around with the family and I'm pleasantly surprised by the pep it has.

Aside from the transmission complaints, my only concern is that a lot people mention problems with the electric doors. They are very smooth now, but I would like to mitigate the chances of the door failing by opening it manually when my hands are free.

I looked aroudn in prior posts and from what I read in the manual, it just says to disable them by the switch (where you see the red) but this does not seem to be doing anything. Everytime I try to open or close it, the automatic just kicks in.

Am I doing something wrong? I just move the switch to the off position but that doesn not appear to have any affect.

My driveway is on a hill so I think this will create an added stress on the doors which I'd like to avoid.

Thanks for any help!

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
The switch (to the left of the steering wheel) should disable the power doors. If it does not, you are going to have to trace wires, for if I recall, this is a pretty basic circuit and the on/off switch is analog, not digital in functionality.

·
Registered
786 Posts
They don't work the way the doors on the Dodge Caravan or Chrysler Town & Country did. If you have power doors, I would just plan to use them. If you really want the doors to be manual, I'm sure it can be done, but it won't be as simple as pressing a switch to alternate between manual and power. The power switch on the dashboard simply cuts the power to the door motors. It does not disconnect it from the motor or track and is really meant to keep the door from being operated at all. This is why the manual says to turn it off when changing a rear tire. When the switch is off, the door is very hard to slide along down the track. The auto close feature still works, so you could theoretically just slowly force the heavy door down the track and then let it soft close at the very end.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was of the same opinion early on and now just love them , its hard to TRAIN everyone to gently pull the handle, " PLEASE dont YANK it !!! "

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone, it sounds like manually opening/closing the doors would do more harm than good. I'll just give it some assist in hopes they don't fail on me.

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you everyone, it sounds like manually opening/closing the doors would do more harm than good. I'll just give it some assist in hopes they don't fail on me.

Mike
Hey Mike, have you had any problems with this? I'm about to get an Odyssey and I live on a steep hill.

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Super - I'm petrified to respond to this thread becuase I don't want to jinx myself; but I have not had ANY problems.

My driveway is about as steep as you can get and I do clean/spray silicon on the cable and track ocassionally (about every 6 months) and so far so good.

It's funny, at first I would always assist the doors then I saw the rest of my family had no regard so I threw in the towel on that. They open and close it repeatadly in the driveway, they stop it halfway through when they realize they forgot something; they get a lot of use! I figured my ocassional assist is useless.

<FINGERS CROSSED>

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts