Honda Odyssey Forum banner

How do I obtain my engine code? (ie; J35A7, J35A6)

1050 Views 6 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  WiiMaster
I’m seeking to replace the engine in my 2010 EX-L. I’m trying to determine my engine code (J35A6, J35A7, etc). Can it be determined from my VIN?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,303 Posts
You can just look at the engine block and it will be marked.

In your case you have a J35A7, but not all J35A7s are created equal. A J35A7 from an 05-07 Odyssey would not work for example. You need a J35A7 engine and it has to come from an 08-10 Odyssey EX-L or Touring.

Interesting how you jumped from misfires to engine replacement...

Reactions: Lots2lurn

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,303 Posts
Interesting mismatched wheels there. That rear wheel is my favorite OEM wheel style out of all the 3rd gen wheels.

Also wonder what happened there, that's a pretty nasty hit. Actually, my Ody was hit in pretty much the same spot about 9 years ago, but the damage wasn't anywhere near as significant. Had side curtain airbags go off, but the body damage was minimal to none, it was pretty much all suspension damage. Dodged a bullet there, and after a $9k repair bill that was covered by insurance, the van has lived up to expectations in the years since.

Glad to hear everything went well for you. Now you know just how good these J series engines can be.

Chances are during the engine replacement your engine guy drained and refilled the ATF, so that probably contributed to the AT working better. You could ask him to know for sure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts